none
convert Physical DPM Management server to Virtual RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking to convert my existing DPM 2012 R2 physical management server to a virtual server.

The current setup is a physical server with locally attached storage and a secondary DPM server in another site (which is already virtual). Both DPM servers were recently upgraded to DPM 2012 R2 and are running Windows 2012.

I would like to use the same hardware but run DPM as a virtual server and attach the physical disks in Hyper-v as pass-through disk. I don't have enough hardware to do a side by side migration (which would be much easier)

My plan is as follows.

• backup DPM database 
    • rebuild physical DPM server as hyper-v server
    • create new DPM virtual server with same name, ip etc.
    • install dpm and restore db from backup
    • attach old DPM physical storage drives to virtual DPM server

I am fairly happy at doing the rebuild and database restore as I have done this before, but I don't know if I can attach the existing DPM drives from the storage pool and retain the data.

I have a secondary server so would not lose the backup data, but it would be a lot easier if i could keep the data on the storage pool

Does anyone know if this will work or have any other suggestions?

thanks

sg

Monday, June 16, 2014 11:57 AM

Answers

• Hi SG,

Your plan will work. You will be able to use the existing drives as long as you bring them into the VM, restore the DPM DB and run DpmSync. DPMSync will synchronize the DPM database with the replicas in the storage pool. Old link but still applies:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808877.aspx

Another thought...why not do a P2V on the DPM server vs. re-install? The only thing you will need to do/could run into issues with is bringing the disks into DPM once it is virtual.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:17 AM

All replies

• Hi SG,

Your plan will work. You will be able to use the existing drives as long as you bring them into the VM, restore the DPM DB and run DpmSync. DPMSync will synchronize the DPM database with the replicas in the storage pool. Old link but still applies:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808877.aspx

Another thought...why not do a P2V on the DPM server vs. re-install? The only thing you will need to do/could run into issues with is bringing the disks into DPM once it is virtual.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:17 AM
  • Your action plan sounds good even though I suggest you try to migrate your backup data into thin provisioned VHDX files. Maybe with some temporary storage you need for the migration of the data... I have done this before and it works very well. Are you using tape backup too? If yes, be advised that Microsoft revised its support document now saying that tape libraries in a virtual DPM server are not supported.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:05 AM
  • thanks for the replies.

I completed the work as planned, the reinstall of DPM and restore database worked fine, but did have trouble getting the disks to import as they showed up as foreign disks. I had a secondary server which had historical backups so was nothing major and i just wiped the disks and then forced a full resync.

Bit of a pain as there was 30TB of data but DPM synced the missing replicas quickly enough and I had an outage scheduled for it. 

I did look at moving the data to a temp location as Marcus suggested but getting 30TB of spare storage was not feasable. 

sg

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:23 AM