none
Failed - Access Denied Vista computer RRS feed

• Question

• Originally I had Failed - Access Denied for 3 remote computers on a peer to peer network.

The steps in the Getting_Started Guide did work for the  Windows XP (SP3) computers.

To configure Windows Firewall exceptions for workgroups and Windows NT 4.0–based domains

1.       Using the Local Security Policy tool available from the Administrative Tools menu of the computer to be inventoried, click Security Settings, click Local Policies, and then click Security Options.

2.       In the Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts section, click Classic – local users authenticate as themselves.

3.       Manually run the following command, or run it from a logon script on each computer to enable the remote administration exception:

netsh firewall add portopening protocol=tcp port=135 name=DCOM_TCP135

4.       Manually run the following command, or run it from a logon script on each computer to enable the file and printer sharing exception:

netsh firewall set service type=fileandprint mode=enable profile=all

Found for a Vista computer that step 4 gave

Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:42 PM

All replies

• You will need have system administered access on your vista machine in order to make this configuration changes.

Thanks,

Eric

Monday, November 16, 2009 5:35 PM
  • to finish the initial post

***  The requested operation requires elevation.

I right click Command Prompt and selected runas administrator and that got pass that step. ***

I not sure what system administered access means.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:24 AM
  • Administrator rather than administered…typo.  Sorry.

Also the step your quoting says for Windows NT 4.0–based domains…not XP machines or later domains.  DO skip steps that are not specifically for your OS.

I’m confused about what machine your having issues with…Title of this post calls out Vista, yet you mention running XP SP3, and quoted a step for NT4 domain.  Which machine is having problems?

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:04 PM
  • The quoting says for workgroups. The Vista computer is on peer to peer network. Yes, there are also XP SP3 computers. I did state "The steps in the Getting_Started Guide did work for the  Windows XP (SP3) computers. " The steps do not work for a Vista computer. 

Your confusion is probably because of my other posts. The first was on a domain with all XP SP3 (Failed - Connection time out ). When that didn't work I dropped back to a Peer to Peer. The first computer I tried to install MAPS on failed (SQL Server Express installation failure). MAPS failed on the first Vista computer (this post) I tried and the successful MAPS run on XP SP3 generated the last post (about the Analog Devices driver on Windows Update).
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:14 AM
  • Find that the exception in Windows Firewall is Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) and UAC needs to be turned off. I am not sure that completely turning off UAC is the recommended method.

Sunday, November 22, 2009 1:13 PM
  • This thread is a bit confusing, let me see if I can restate:

you're trying to inventory a Windows Vista machine, and you're getting an error.  I'm not sure what error, can't find that in the thread.

To configure a Vista machine for remote inventory, you'll need to:

Set the policy Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts to "Classic"
    Set the policy Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception to "Enabled"
    Enable File and Printer Sharing exception on Windows Firewall

it's fine to set these as a group policy on a domain basis, however if you're having problems you should inspect the machine you're having problems with to determine if the Resultant Set of Policy indicates these policies are in force.

Once you've double-checked the configuration items above, try connecting to the machine remotely with WBEMTest using the instructions here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtxo8re2_9w

If you're still getting failure, reply back with the error messages you're getting from WBEMTest.

Thanks,
    Jay

Monday, November 23, 2009 5:46 PM
  • The first line in the original posted states the problem "Failed - Access Denied for 3 remote computers on a peer to peer network."

When the test was run, there was two XP SP3 computers and one Vista. All computers were on the same workgroup.

I stated that following the Getting_started_guide instructions for Workgroup enabled the Xp SP3 computers to report MAP results. I stated that the instructions for Workgroup for Vista computer are incorrect. The incorrect steps were listed as I found them. In summary:

There is no netsh firewall add portopening protocol=tcp port=135 name=DCOM_TCP135. In an XP SP3, I can see the entry DCOM_TCP135 in Windows Firewall. There is no such entry in Windows Vista. Therefore I assume this step is invalid for a Vista computer.

The
    netsh firewall set service type=fileandprint mode=enable profile=all will only run if one runas an administrator.

There is no mention of WMI exception in Windows Vista. (I do not have Vista computers on the network where I am writing this post so I can not list the exact name used)

In addition, there is a requirement to stop UAC from blocking.

I found that if I disabled the UAC, added the netsh firewall set service type=fileandprint mode=enable profile=all as an administrator, select the WMI exception, and the classic setting, the MAP tool ran. However, I did not like the idea of completely disabling UAC.

So the first part of the question remaining is what is the correct way to set up a Vista computer for MAP
    for a workgroup. You did not cover that in your answer.

2nd part Domain.

The answers you give are for apparently a Windows Server 2003. I can tell because in Windows Server 2008, the correct step is not Set the policy Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception to "Enabled"
    but rather Windows Firewall: Allow inbound remote administration exception to "Enabled".

But getting beyond this, MAP can not inventory the Windows XP SP3 computer and my guess is it is probably the UAC again.

To answer your Wbemtest question, the error is " Number: 0x800706ba Facility: Win32 Description: The RPC server is unavailable. Yes, I did check for classic, DCOM_TCP135 and File and Printer Sharing firewall exceptions on the remote XP SP3 computer so it does appear the group policy enable the settings.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:58 PM
  • I stated that following the Getting_started_guide instructions for Workgroup enabled the Xp SP3 computers to report MAP results. I stated that the instructions for Workgroup for Vista computer are incorrect.

Which specific step is missing or incorrect?

Thanks,
    Jay
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:27 AM
  • For the Vista workgroup, I listed the steps in the last email. Let me first quote the Getting_Started_Guide "
    Workgroups and Windows NT 4.0‑based Domains

For computers in a workgroup, you will need to manually configure each computer. For computers in a Windows NT 4.0–based domain, use logon scripts to configure the Windows Firewall exceptions.

To configure Windows Firewall exceptions for workgroups and Windows NT 4.0–based domains

1.       Using the Local Security Policy tool available from the Administrative Tools menu of the computer to be inventoried, click Security Settings, click Local Policies, and then click Security Options.

2.       In the Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts section, click Classic – local users authenticate as themselves.

3.       Manually run the following command, or run it from a logon script on each computer to enable the remote administration exception:

4.       Manually run the following command, or run it from a logon script on each computer to enable the file and printer sharing exception:

These steps work for a Windows XP SP3 computer. For a Vista Workgroup I stated:
    There is no netsh firewall add portopening protocol=tcp port=135 name=DCOM_TCP135. In an XP SP3, I can see the entry DCOM_TCP135 in Windows Firewall. There is no such entry in Windows Vista. Therefore I assume this step is invalid for a Vista computer.

The
    netsh firewall set service type=fileandprint mode=enable profile=all will only run if one runas an administrator.

There is no mention of WMI exception in Windows Vista. (I do not have Vista computers on the network where I am writing this post so I can not list the exact name used)

In addition, there is a requirement to stop UAC from blocking.

Therefore for a Vista workgroup, Steps 1, 2 are the same. Step 3 is wrong. Step 3 instead should talk about Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) exception, Step 4 is wrong because it does not state that one has to run this step run as administrator. The steps are wrong in that they do not include handling UAC.

As I stated I did not accept the above as the answer because I figured there is a better way to handle the UAC than my method of turning off UAC.

For Active Directory Environment, the steps listed are:

Use the Group Policy Editor to edit Group Policy for the organizational units that contain the computers on which you will perform the assessment. For instructions on how to use the Group Policy Editor, see the following resources.

To enable Windows Firewall exceptions using Group Policy

1.       Using the Group Policy Editor, click Computer Configuration, click Windows Settings, click Security Settings, click Local Policies, and then click Security Options.

3.       Using the Group Policy Editor, click Computer Configuration, click Administrative Templates, click Network, click Network Connections, click Windows Firewall, and then click Domain Profile.

4.       In the Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception section, click Enabled.

5.       In the Allow unsolicited incoming messages from text box, type the IP address or subnet of the computer that will be performing the inventory.

6.       In the Windows Firewall: Allow file and print sharing exception section, click Enabled.

7.       In the Allow unsolicited incoming messages from text box, type the IP address or subnet of the computer performing the inventory.

After saving the policy changes, you will need to wait up to two hours for the Group Policy settings to be applied to the client computers.

Step 4 is wrong because in Windows Server 2008 the line includes inbound so it should read
    4.       In the Windows Firewall: Allow inbound remote administration exception section, click Enabled.

Even making the step 4 correction listed above, I can not get MAP to inventory the Windows XP SP3 in spite of the seeing the group policy changes on the remote computer. Therefore, there must be additional step(s) similar to the Vista Workgroup. The Wbemtest.exe also fails for the remote computer.

Monday, November 30, 2009 5:42 AM
  • 3.       Manually run the following command, or run it from a logon script on each computer to enable the remote administration exception:

These steps work for a Windows XP SP3 computer. For a Vista Workgroup I stated:

I just ran this command in an  elevated command prompt on Windows 7 and it ran fine (don't happen to have a Vista install readily avaialble at the moment).   Can you tell me what happened in your environment that made you think this command didn't work?

You do have to run the command from an elevated command prompt, which the instructions didn't explicity call out (sorry).

Thanks,
    Jay
    Monday, November 30, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa822854(VS.85).aspx

Therefore, to clarify. The step that needs to be there is "
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="windows management instrumentation (wmi)" new enable=yes

The article does state if you want to go the long way then it is "
    To enable WMI traffic using separate rules for DCOM, WMI, callback sink and outgoing connections

1. To establish a firewall exception for DCOM port 135, use the following command.

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule dir=in name="DCOM" program=%systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe service=rpcss action=allow protocol=TCP localport=135

2. To establish a firewall exception for the WMI service, use the following command.

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule dir=in name ="WMI" program=%systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe service=winmgmt action = allow protocol=TCP localport=any

3. To establish a firewall exception for the sink that receives callbacks from a remote computer, use the following command.

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule dir=in name ="UnsecApp" program=%systemroot%\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe action=allow

4. To establish a firewall exception for outgoing connections to a remote computer that the local computer is communicating with asynchronously, use the following command.

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule dir=out name ="WMI_OUT" program=%systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe service=winmgmt action=allow protocol=TCP localport=any

Monday, November 30, 2009 5:10 PM
  • OK, so you ran the netsh command and now everything is working?   I'm trying to determine if you're giving feedback on the fact that the Getting Started Guide needs to be updated with steps that are specific to Vista / Windows 7, or if you're still having trouble getting inventory to work after having made these changes.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:54 PM
  • There are three separate postings open on this forum. This was supposed to be the Vista workgroup question. The history as I tried to explain is I was trying to run MAP on Windows Server 2008 domain which failed to inventory the Windows XP SP3 computers. There was a SQL server 2008 Express failure. Then I dropped back to my home network. Home network has a mix of Vista and XP SP3. When this was posted, I did not get the MAP to run. I then found this step and that step and did get MAP to run but I did not like that I was turning off UAC. I am looking for a better answer than turning off UAC.

The domain problem was bought over to this question. The domain question which is still open is that if I basically follow the steps given in Getting_Started_Guide (modified step 4) the MAP will not inventory the Windows XP SP3 computers. There are few enough Vista computers that my current plan is to just upgrade to Windows 7. I am not that confident of the Vista Workgroup solution and can not even get MAP to run to inventory Windows XP SP3 computers and do not plan to run MAP on the domain for Vista computers.

The Getting_Started_Guide is apparently written for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP3 but I do not have all the answers to rewrite the instructions for Vista and Windows Server 2008.

I find myself repeating.

To add to my problems, even though Alert me when someone responds to this post is checked, I do not get any notification in my hotmail account. 

• Edited by techcoor Wednesday, December 2, 2009 5:04 PM The previous edit was incorrect. The line should read I did not get the MAP to run.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 11:25 PM
  • I'm very well aware that you have three seperate issues.

I'm trying to get resolution to one of the issues so that we can move on to the others.   So I'll repeat myself:

You ran the netsh command to configure a Vista machine to allow remote WMI interrogation.   Are you now able to inventory that machine or not?

Thanks,
    Jay

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 12:02 AM
  • Yes, the MAP ran inventory on workgroup network with mixed Vista and Windows XP SP3 computers. I did not like the solution of turning off the UAC and was looking for a better way.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 5:07 PM
  • I'm still unclear on where and why you turned off UAC.  Since the MAP inventory will run against a remote machine even if there's no user logged on to that remote machine, UAC's state (either enabled or disabled) should be irrelevant.

Did you turn off UAC while you were running the firewall configuration commands?  If so, you should be able to re-enable UAC now on the remote machine and the MAP inventory against that remote machine should still work.

If you're referring to UAC being disabled on the same machine where MAP is installed and running, that's not necessary either.  MAP does require running elevated (mainly so that it can access the local SQL Express database instance), but if UAC is enabled, you should get prompted for elevation at the time MAP starts and it should run fine after that.

Can you help me understand where you have UAC disabled and what fails if UAC is enabled?

THanks,
    Jay
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 9:44 PM
  • My understanding from your previous post was that one way to check whether MAP will run is to run wbemtest.exe. When I try to run wbemtest.exe to reach a remote Vista computer I get the familiar Number: 0x800706ba Facility: Win32 Description: The RPC server is unavailable. If I want wbemtest.exe to run for a remote Vista computer, I turn off UAC on that computer, reboot and then I can connect to a remote Vista computer. I do not have the same problem with Windows XP SP3. (I am running MAP on Windows XP SP3 computer). At that point I probably concluded that MAP would not run. I don't remember if after the Wbemtest.exe failure whether I tried the MAP

I just ran MAP again and even though the Vista computer shows so does a Windows XP SP3 which is not on the network so I don't know whether MAP did a reinventory or just used previous data. 

Let me set up another Vista. I note steps 1 and 2 in Getting_Started_Guide were not necessary as the Vista computer already had Classic – local users authenticate as themselves.

Opened command window with run as administrator and ran 
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="windows management instrumentation (wmi)" new enable=yes

I then checked that File and Printer Sharing and Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) boxes are checked in Windows Firewall exception. 

Then I ran MAP and got a Failed - Access Denied for the new Vista computer.  

Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:06 AM
  • I just ran MAP again and even though the Vista computer shows so does a Windows XP SP3 which is not on the network so I don't know whether MAP did a reinventory or just used previous data. 

Once MAP successfully inventories a computer into a particular database, it won't inventory that computer again.

To force a re-inventory, create a new database and inventory into that.

When you tried to inventory the new Vista computer that you setup, what credentials did you specify in the MAP WMI Credentials  page?

Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:23 PM
  • When I tried to run the inventory, I used a user name that was a member of administrators on the remote Vista computer and that user name's password.

I decided to add the same username and password for the new Vista computer as for the other Vista and two Windows XP SP3 currently on the network. Then create a new database and reran MAP.  The results were as I expected 2 Windows XP SP3 inventoried and two Vista with Failed - Access Denied. The one Vista had successfully inventoried with UAC turned off. Both Vista currently have UAC on and both currently failed to do the MAP inventory

Friday, December 4, 2009 5:43 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification.

We're going to try to reproduce this in our environment for investigation.  Can you confirm a few things for us, please?

For the computer that you've installed MAP on:
    Which Operating System & Edition (For example, Windows Vista Professional Edition)?
    What Service pack level?
    32-bit or 64-bit OS?
    I assume this is a workgroup member and not a domain member, but please confirm.

For the computer that you're trying to inventory, same questions:
    What Operating System & Edition?
    What Service Pack level?
    x86 or x64 OS?
    This machne is a member of a workgroup, per your discussion here.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:07 PM
  • The network that has the 2 Vista 32 bits and 2 (or 3) Windows XP SP3 32 bits for this question is workgroup. (Windows Server 2008 domain was posted under a different question)

MAP is currently on Windows XP SP3. All Windows XP SP3 are professional

Original Vista is Business SP2
    The second Vista is Business SP1

None of the 2 Vista or 2 Windows XP SP3 for the last test have ever been on the domain. The third Windows XP SP3 laptop has been on Domain for another question and on the workgroup for this question. 

Do you know if the Alert me when someone responds to this post is turned off for everyone or is this just a problem with my hotmail account?

Friday, December 4, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification.  We'll set this up to see if it reproduces here.

"Alert me" is working for me on this thread with my hotmail account.     On the top right-hand corner of this page, there's a link "My Settings".  If you click that, you'll be taken to a Forum Preferences page that has a link "Configure Alerts" in the middle of the page.  You might check that to make sure your settings for alerts are set properly.

Friday, December 4, 2009 5:25 PM
  • We setup the following environment and were not able to reproduce this:

Installed Windows XP Professional SP3, 32 bit, workgroup joined machine and installed MAP 2930 (4.0 RTM Build) and ran an inventory against Windows Vista Business, SP2, 32 bit, UAC = Turned ON, workgroup joined machine and able to get WMI successful  (Provided just Administrator\password in the WMI Credential page with Manual Discovery method).

Do you see any way that the scneario describe here is different from your scenario?

Thanks,
    Jay

Friday, December 4, 2009 11:52 PM
  • In regards to “Alert me” yes the Always Alert Me By Default When I Post is checked. My guess the problem is the hotmail account.

Yes, the scenario looks the same.

I see Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit at 4.0.2925.0 I do not know where the 2930 comes from.

I used “Use the Windows networking protocols”

The Inventory and Assessement Wizard found the Workgroup. Select Next

Selected New account in WMI Credentials.

Left Domain name blank

Enter in Account name with an administrator on all computers. Entered in the corresponding password in Password and Confirm Password. Select Save

Selected Next and Finish. The only thing that seems to be different is the computer discovery method. I did not use Manually enter computer name and credentials.

Reran MAP. This time with Manually enter computer name and credentials. Entered original Vista computer name. That did not help me.

Deleted Symantec Endpoint Protection on the Windows XP SP3 with MAP.

No change.

Deleted Symantec Endpoint Protection on second Vista

No change

Turned off UAC on second Vista. Now can run wbemtest.exe and MAP does inventory the second Vista.

I am at a loss why our setups are different but I can not run MAP without turning off UAC.

Saturday, December 5, 2009 5:43 AM
  • The next theory is it isn't fresh Windows XP SP3 (Assume you did this type of install) but rather the fact that the computer Win XP OS went SP1, SP2, SP3. It is not likely the Vista SP1 to SP2 as the results were the same whether the remote computer was running Vista SP1 or SP2 and that the UAC is probably protecting the computer from the Windows XP SP3. 

Decided to load MAP on another Windows XP SP3 bought from school that was updated from SP2. This computer was never assign though a IT person was using it when his laptop was borrowed. It has the minimum stuff - Adobe Reader 9.2, Symantec Endpoint Protection, Microsoft Office 2003 standard plus Access 2003, Windows Explorer 8. Load the Net Framework 3.5, Office 2007 compatible pack, Windows Install, MAP. Again MAP fails to inventory both Vista (both at SP2) and fails with Failed-Access Denied. One thing is sure is that this problem has been easy for me to reproduce.

Plan to return to school the second Vista and new Win XP SP3 computer.

Monday, December 7, 2009 1:33 AM
  • Decided to take one of the Vista computers that has Office 2007 and not much else (Adobe Reader, Quicktime, Endpoint Protection) and load MAP. The MAP could only inventory Windows XP SP3 computers and the inventory of the remote Vista computer failed with Failed - Access Denied.

Running Wbemtest.exe with Namespace \\<remote Vista computer name>\root\cimv2 gives Number: 0x80070005 Facility: Win 32 Description: Access is denied. Note that with Vista the default namespace is \root\cimv2 and one does not have to change from \root\default as in Windows XP.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:37 AM
  • Loaded MAP on computer running Windows 7 and did not have a successful connection to Vista Computer.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:51 AM
  • I had issues going from XP -> Vista / 7. Even after having setup the group policy for a test computer, I still wasn't connecting. I'm pretty sure I waited a good amount of time and did a gpupdate /force on that machine a good few times. Finally I just went and psexec'd this command to all the vista and win7 machines:
    'netsh firewall set service RemoteAdmin'
    Now I can connect to all the Vista and Win7 clients.

-j
    Friday, January 8, 2010 10:35 PM
  • My hotmail account blocks email alerts from Microsoft forums. I didn't check until now.

Seems like you are working on a domain by the mention of group policy. I had entered two cases for MAP issues: one for domain and this one for workgroup.

What I did with your information is to go to one of the Vista computers. Select Start, CMD, paste in your command, hit enter and got The requested operation requires elevation. Next, I closed the command window, selected Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click Command prompt, select run as administrator, pasted in your command, hit enter and got OK. Closed command prompt window.

Then I ran MAP and selected Use the Windows networking protocols. I still got Failed - Access Denied for the Vista computer I was working with.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:24 PM
  • 1.        Make sure that you do all the steps outlined in the Getting started Guide under the preparing your environment.

2.        Use WBEMTEST to verify that you are able to successfully make a WMI request from the machine running MAPS to any of the machines that you were having connection issues with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtxo8re2_9w  If you can pass a test with WBEMTEST, MAPS will be able to work correctly

Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:00 PM
  • 1. No, the steps for a Vista computer are not listed in Getting Started Guide. The Getting Started Guide has steps for Windows XP.
    2. Yes, whenever MAPS fails then wbemtest also fails.
    The youtube link probably would have been more useful if I could figure the link for the WMI Isn't Working. Can not see the URL address. It sounds like the link is http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/help/wmi.mspx but that address did not work for me. A search on WMI Isn't Working brought me to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd535375(EXCHG.80).aspx but the link is broken on that page.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:29 AM
  • I did play some more. I found out with wbemtest that the password for the administrator on the local computer needed to match that for the same account on the remote computer.

I did run across

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394603(VS.85).aspx suggesting the problem may be the different OSs. This is a good reference for the general meaning of the errors. I made and then undid the changes.

But in the end, turning off UAC on a Vista computer allows me to connect.

Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:43 AM
  • I did decided to download the full Win XP SP3 and download the Nero Burning Rom trial. I used the procedure on http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd_nero8_final.htm to create a bootable Win XP SP3 CD. Installed that on Dimension 8300. Loaded MAPS and got the same failures as before - Failed - Access Denied. The Wbemtest error is Number: 0x80070005 Facility: Win32 Description: Access is denied. Tried using Use the Windows networking protocols and Manually enter computer names and credentials.

Again went to a Vista computer and disabled UAC. Ran MAPS and inventory was taken of that computer. I also ran the wbemtest and it failed with the same message as above.

I planning to move forward with my method of running MAPS for the Vista computer on a workgroup.

Monday, January 25, 2010 1:09 AM