Unable to preview .Pdf files in Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• despite installing Adobe Reader Touch, i am unable to preview .pdf files in outlook.  The error message reads that no previewer is installed.  The Abobe Reader Touch does not appear in the Trust Center's  'Attachment Handling' list.   Kindly advise what to do.
    Friday, January 19, 2018 10:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

As far as I know, Outlook doesn't include a built-in PDF previewer. In order to preview PDF files, please use the following steps and check the result:

1. Close Outlook.

2. Download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader.

3. Make Adobe Acrobat Reader the default program used to open PDF files. Select your operating system below for detailed instructions.

4. Restart Outlook. You should now be able to preview PDF files in Outlook.

Hope the above steps can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, January 22, 2018 8:12 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

Have you tried my suggestion above? 

If it is helpful, could you please help mark it as answer to close the thread? Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:55 AM
  • I am using Office 2016, I have Adobe Pro (my default program) and does not work. IF...it only works with Reader and has to be default, then all my programs will open in Reader when I intend to make changes I cannot. There has to me a more logical answer for this?
    Monday, May 21, 2018 5:42 PM
  • I have Office 360 and it runs Outlook 2016.  It is updated to the latest version and shows two PDF previewers in the Trust Center - Handling Attachments options area.  Both PDF previewers are selected, but I still cannot preview a PDF document in my email messages.  There must be something else going on.  I can open the attachment, but can't preview it.  
    Monday, June 4, 2018 3:41 PM
  • Our organization uses Office 365.  I was able to preview all email attachments except for PDFs.  Adobe Acrobat Reader was set as the default App.  A number of actions were attempted to resolve the issue, including looking at regedit, clearing Temp files, reinstalling Adobe Acrobat Reader, repairing the office installation and finally reinstalling Office 365.  The problem persisted.  I then installed Foxit Reader and set it as the default App for PDFs.  Previewing in Outlook 2016 worked as desired.  I then set Adobe Reader as the default App for PDFs.  Low and behold, Outlook 2016 now allows previewing of PDFs with the Adobe Acrobat Reader.
    • Proposed as answer by Dave Dunkley Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:32 PM
    Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:46 PM
  • This Works!

well done and thank you for saving my life!

Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:33 PM
  • This solution also worked for me, with Adobe Reader Touch - thank you!  Sounds like Adobe programs are unable to create a PDF preview option in Outlook on their own, but Foxit can.
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:31 PM