Customizable Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a local county government, and we use Outlook sp3 for inter-communication.  Due to legal issues, we must start archiving all messages for certain amounts of time depending on the context of the message. We need to be able to enforce this (i.e. disable deleting a message and enforcing them to choose which file to archive them in via any means possible.) Once that file is saved into a certain archive, our IT will handle the rest. Is this even remotely possible with Outlook 2003 or 2007 or 2010? We have a few hundred licenses, and we are obviously willing to pay for custom programming or 3rd party software to fit our needs. Otherwise, we must choose another software.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:10 PM

Answers

• There are a number of archiving solutions out there - but they mainly address archiving from the perspective of the e-mail server.  Are you running Exchange Server for your e-mail?  Beginning with Exchange 2007, Microsoft introduced the ability to create and apply transport rules that could watch for content and send or duplicate messages to be sent to another location for storage or for compliance reasons.  Exchange 2010 adds some basic archiving capabilities. 

In short, I'd look for a solution that fits your e-mail server, and go with that.
    Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:20 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:21 AM