none
Disk Space and Synchronization Frustration DPM 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am having a little difficulty understanding how DPM 2007 allocates space and how to make changes after the space has been configured.

I took over this DPM server from someone else about 3 months ago and have been to busy to really sit down and get my arms around it.

Main problem is that the SAN we have is pretty low on space on a good day and lately the replicas have been filling up.Now I can delete or move some of the data out of the space that is being replicated but it seems that even after I do the replica will not verify or synch.

The documentation I have found out there about DPM is about clear as mud and I could use a little direction towards understand what needs to be done to point to replicas, fix them and update them etc...

TIA

Sean

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The replica volume holds an exact copy of the data that it's protecting, so if you add data to the protected servers volume, that data will be copied to the replica volume on the DPM Server during synchronizations.  DPM 2007 does not have an auto-grow feature to automatically grow the replica as needed. That is a new feature added in DPM 2010.    Once the replica gets full, we cannot transfer any more data until you manually grow the replica volume.  Removing files from the original volume will not get you out of the situation because DPM still needs to be able to add or update files that didn't come over as a result of running out of space and that may need to be done before it discovers files that need deleted.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by seanlarabee Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The replica volume holds an exact copy of the data that it's protecting, so if you add data to the protected servers volume, that data will be copied to the replica volume on the DPM Server during synchronizations.  DPM 2007 does not have an auto-grow feature to automatically grow the replica as needed. That is a new feature added in DPM 2010.    Once the replica gets full, we cannot transfer any more data until you manually grow the replica volume.  Removing files from the original volume will not get you out of the situation because DPM still needs to be able to add or update files that didn't come over as a result of running out of space and that may need to be done before it discovers files that need deleted.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by seanlarabee Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Okay. I understand those points. However the problem I am running into is that many of these replicas are on custom volumes so DPM will not allow me to change the space settings. Sop what do I do then? TIA
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

You can manually grow the custom volumes using Windows disk management if they are on Dynamic disks.  DPM will recognize the new free space added to the custom volumes.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:48 PM