none
Default Share RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows 10, why can't I access the default share, C$ but from a Windows 7 machine I can? Same windows firewall rules in place for both machines, same domain. Additionally odd is that from a Win7 machine I can access C$ on ANY other machine regardless of OS. However, FROM a Win10 machine I can access NO other machines via C$. Why is this and what is the fix?

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 6:36 PM

All replies

• Your Windows 10 machine probably has Network Discovery turned off. https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-enable-network-discovery-and-configure-sharing-options-in-windows-10/ explains how to fix that.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2019 6:41 PM
  • It is on
    Wednesday, June 5, 2019 7:21 PM
  • Hi,

Please try the following: 

1. Clear the records in Credential manger

2. Re-join domain

3. Disable UAC remote restrictions
       a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
       b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
           HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
       c. If the LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy registry entry does not exist, follow these steps: 
       d. Create a DWORD value called LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy and assign it a value of 1.

4. If the issue still occurs, here is a thread for your reference: 

Windows 10 1703 Access Denied to C$

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/46a0b743-091b-484e-a6f4-ed727e77eb97/windows-10-1703-access-denied-to-c?forum=win10itprosecurity

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 3:23 AM
  • Also does not work Yilia. I feel that it has something to do with SMB but not sure 100% sure.

• Edited by BOBBAFF Thursday, June 6, 2019 9:32 PM
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 11:13 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to reset hosts file:

How to reset the Hosts file back to the default

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/972034/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default

And then check to confirm those PCs set enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the NetBIOS settings:

1. Open Control Panel \ Network and Internet.

2. Click Change adapter settings.

3. Right-click your connection, and then click Properties.

4. In the This connection uses the following items list, double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click Advanced, and then click the WINS tab.

5. In NetBIOS settings, there are there options.

Besides that, type ipconfig /flushdns in the command prompt as Admin to flush the DNS. Then reboot the computer to check the result.

Finally, if we suspect the issue related to SMB, we could submit a case in Networking forum to check this issue, as they will be more professional on your issue: 

This is the Networking forum link: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itpronetworking

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Yilia 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 7, 2019 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything I can do for you?

If you have any problems or concerns, please feel free to post here. 

Best regards,

Yilia

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 6:32 AM
  • .NET is a different version in windows 7 then in windows 10 so when you try accessing windows 7 from 10 you have different stuff going on in .NET that's why some older software wont work on windows 10 you may in windows 10 install a later version of .NET that should take care of the problem go to Control Panel Programs add new windows features and install .Net 3.5
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 11:04 PM