Setting a MOSS 2007 site to be read only RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to move users to SP 2010 shortly. What we want to be able to do is to set the SP 2007 farm to read only, take a full backup, then take copies of the backed up content databases to the SP 2010 farm and begin attaching them there.

I don't know that the full backup is necessary - that is a request by the DBAs.

I have seen various postings talking about going into SQL Server and setting the content databases to read only.

What I am wondering is whether that is the best practice? I don't want to prevent users from being able to read their data. But if we only make the content databases read only, won't there still be concerns about the state of the rest of the tables that are not in read-only mode?

Is there a command that would be better to use to change the state of the farm so that the databases are in a proper state for backup?

Thank  you for your ideas.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• The stsadm command of 'setsitelock' will set a site collection to read-only.  

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262811(v=office.12).aspx

• Proposed as answer by Dovahkiin27 Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Steven AndrewsEditor Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Warren Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:18 AM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:35 PM
  • When you upgrade you content database to SP 2010, after upgrade you can check in central admin as to what is the status of the database. It will tell you if it is in Read-Only mode and then you can change it to Ready state.

You can also check the following stsadm command for setting up your site collection read-only.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262811(v=office.12).aspx

Amit

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:01 PM
  • The SetSiteLock commands below is pretty much the correct answer but if you're not comfortable with commandline utilities, this can be done within the Central Administration GUI, via the Site Quotas and Locks.

More information on this can be seen here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263050(v=office.12).aspx

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

• Proposed as answer by Jason Warren Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:21 AM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:44 PM
    Answerer
  • Setsitelock or setting the lock in Central Administration is the most granular approach.

Setting the content database to read only has the side effect of making all site collections in the database read only. If this is your intention (or if there is only a single site collection in the content database) this approach will work.

In both cases the editing/add options will disappear from the SharePoint site but all other functionality remains. The site is usable as a read-only repository of ... itself. :)

Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:20 AM
  • My intention is to provide a read-only repository of the data that is being moved to SP 2010, so that users which find they have a problem accessing a list or document can go back to the original repository to get the missing information.

They should not be able to take any sharepoint action that would create alerts, new sites/libraries/lists/workflows/etc. on the old site.

In a related question, we plan on changing the DNS of the original site at the time we are making this change. This will certainly cause hard coded inter-library links to fail. But the users should still be able to access the site, right?

Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:48 PM
  • the problem with that is that there are too many site collections to set the lock individually.
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:48 PM
  • This may be of some use for you but I've not had a chance to test it yet

http://www.deviantpoint.com/post/2010/05/05/PowerShell-Script-for-MOSS-2007-to-Change-Site-Collections-to-Read-Only-Mode.aspx

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:28 PM
    Answerer