new domain for email RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we've added a new domain name and like to use it.

So far, I've added the hub transport and emails get thru fine.  I have a question regarding sending permissions from the new email address I've created.   

I added the new smtp address and within outlook I'm trying sending using that email, but I get...

"You are not allowed to send this message because you are trying to send on behalf of another sender without permission to do so. Please verify that you are sending on behalf of the correct sender, or ask your system administrator to help you get the required permission. "

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe

Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

After you add a new Accepted domain, you have to set the corresponding Address Book policy so that the new smtp address is added to the mailbox. you have to adjust this accordingly

Now, there are two cases

1. Add the domain as a secondary smtp address to the mailbox: In this case, you won't see the error as you mentioned

2. Add this address to different mailbox. In this case, you need a Send As permission or Full Mailbox permission to send from a different account (I guess, this is your situation.)

Manage Send As: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Bb676368%28v=EXCHG.141%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards From: Exchange Online | Windows Administrator's Area

Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:54 PM
  • Merlin, you can't send from a secondary proxy address on a mailbox.  If you wish to have your outbound email come from the new address space, you will need to modify the Primary SMTP Address on your mailboxes to use this new address space - and I recommend keeping the old address so you don't have emails bounce if they are sent to it.

I'm assuming you are planning to retire the old address space, but if you wish to be able to use both addresses, Manu's #2 response will work - but the inbound emails will go to the second mailbox.  A possible work-around:  you could also create a distribution group with the new address space and grant SendAs rights to the mailbox, then add the mailbox to the distribution group - so the distribution group would have one member, the mailbox that has rights to send as the distribution group.  Then the user could send as the distribution group, and responses will go directly to their mailbox.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

After you add a new Accepted domain, you have to set the corresponding Address Book policy so that the new smtp address is added to the mailbox. you have to adjust this accordingly

Now, there are two cases

1. Add the domain as a secondary smtp address to the mailbox: In this case, you won't see the error as you mentioned

2. Add this address to different mailbox. In this case, you need a Send As permission or Full Mailbox permission to send from a different account (I guess, this is your situation.)

Manage Send As: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Bb676368%28v=EXCHG.141%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards From: Exchange Online | Windows Administrator's Area

Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:54 PM
  • Merlin, you can't send from a secondary proxy address on a mailbox.  If you wish to have your outbound email come from the new address space, you will need to modify the Primary SMTP Address on your mailboxes to use this new address space - and I recommend keeping the old address so you don't have emails bounce if they are sent to it.

I'm assuming you are planning to retire the old address space, but if you wish to be able to use both addresses, Manu's #2 response will work - but the inbound emails will go to the second mailbox.  A possible work-around:  you could also create a distribution group with the new address space and grant SendAs rights to the mailbox, then add the mailbox to the distribution group - so the distribution group would have one member, the mailbox that has rights to send as the distribution group.  Then the user could send as the distribution group, and responses will go directly to their mailbox.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:47 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Any updates for your issue? How do you configure new email address for your new domain? I noticed that you added the hub transport server for new domain. Do you mean you create a new server for new domain?

If you are configure the new domain as an accepted domain in Exchange and create new email address for existing mailbox by using Email Address Policy, we need to set the new address as default to send as it. For more information about email address policy, please refer to:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232171(v=exchg.141).aspx

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 10:07 AM