cannot access "all Programs" in startup menu. RRS feed

• Question

• When I click on "all programs" none show.  Just an arrow that says"back".  As far as I know every thing else seems to work properly.  I installed Win Vista and installed Window 7 over it.  I cannot access any of my programs except through Windows Explorer.  What can I do to fix it?  Thanks!
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:17 PM Focus (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:44 AM

Answers

• This issue occurs if you have too many entries in the folder C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. You may store part of them to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, ensure that the total number of shortcuts in C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs is less than 70.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, July 20, 2009 3:57 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:07 AM

All replies

• that sounds like some bad registry entries when you installed the OS or some software. you may have to manually put all the program groups in by coppying and pasting shortcuts into the start menu.

get somone with some more expertise than me.

hope this helps, nitrous_74
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:10 PM
  • This issue occurs if you have too many entries in the folder C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. You may store part of them to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, ensure that the total number of shortcuts in C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs is less than 70.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, July 20, 2009 3:57 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:07 AM