UserManagesUser relationship not populating SCSM2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are trying to get the 'notify line manager' checkbox working, the correct workflows/templates are setup, however, the workflow crashes as it can not find the users manager.

$travis = Get-SCSMObject -Class (Get-SCSMClass -Name System.Domain.User)-Filter "Username -eq '<username here>'"
    $UserManagesUser = Get-SCSMRelationshipClass -Name UserManagesUser
    $Manager = (Get-SCSMRelationshipObject -ByTarget $travis | ?($_.RelationshipId -eq $UserManagesUser.Id)).SourceObject
    $Manager

This code above also returns a blank, even though the Manager has been populated in the 'Users' section of SCSM, of it looks like the UsersManagesUser relationship is not present.  We are running SCSM2012SP1 and SQL2012Ent.  Is this a known issue?  I am trying to get some options, at the moment the only option I have is to wipe everything and rebuild.  Any suggestions?

:-)

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:24 PM

All replies

• Workflow crash in opsmgr event log and AddReviewerActivity status:

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.ActivityManagement.Workflows.ReviewActivityActiveWorkflow

c6fcf050-ae6b-82c5-a971-3eb3fe571123
    System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException
    Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture.  Make sure "Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.ActivityManagement.Workflows.Resources.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.ActivityManagement.Workflows" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed.
       at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.HandleResourceStreamMissing(String fileName)
       at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.GrovelForResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Dictionary`2 localResourceSets, Boolean tryParents, Boolean createIfNotExists, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo requestedCulture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
       at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetString(String name, CultureInfo culture)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.ActivityManagement.Workflows.Resources.get_ReviewerAdded()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.ActivityManagement.Workflows.ReviewActivityActiveWorkflow.addReviewerActivity_ExecuteCode(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.Activity.RaiseEvent(DependencyProperty dependencyEvent, Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Workflow.Activities.CodeActivity.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run()

The handle is invalid

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Does anyone know where to find a guild on setting up the 1st 'Line Manage Approval' Activity, as mine keeps crashing please?

Friday, March 1, 2013 11:33 AM
  • My excuse to restore this topic, but can you provide information about how did you resolve your issue?

SCSMSolutions
    email: freemanru (at) gmail (dot) com

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 10:49 AM
  • The user manages user function is fine and I had made an error in the above script, the relationship between users and their linemanager is there in the SCSM2012 DB.

The problem is that caused the investigative need of the above script is 'line manager must vote' tickbox on the workflow causes the workflow to crash out, even if the call is enter via web portal or manually on the console.

Nope, we cannot fix it.  We reinstalled 3 times, got a consultant in (the expert could not solve), even opened a ticket with microsoft (no response).  A workaround is to create a runbook that pulls the manager details out of AD and adds as a voter; however this then limits us to a single line manager approval process in a workflow; and it is messy.

No confirmation of is it's just us at fault or if this affects all Service Manager companys.

Our system which we have brought still cannot be taken live and into production until at least we can diagnose this (is it a bug or a config issue?  if its a config issue what else will not work?)

So 3 months later and no live helpdesk system, in fear that we will have to re-format and lose it all again.

No SPN issues, no 3rd party plugins, everything is vanilla MS and technet install guides were followed to the letter, as well as ops manager monitoring the health state of the install.

Any kind of information on this fault appreciated.

As this thread is now change subject, please can you respond here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/administration/thread/80c1c051-59e4-4f73-9f87-e61d9e292613

• Edited by Leon_Cambs Friday, April 19, 2013 4:35 PM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:15 PM
  • We are solve this issue by changing the language UI for system account and welcome screen to non-ENU (Russian in our case). This issue affect only Windows Server 2012 installation.

SCSMSolutions

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Can you provide the number of your case for reference?

SCSMSolutions

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Not sure what the ticket number is as an external consultant has it; I can chase.

Not sure about which extra problems I will create by changing the system language, so I'll steer clear.

He is an interesting bit though.  

1. We block Windows update via GPO (so no auto download resources by the server).

2. http://oi47.tinypic.com/2r5728j.jpg <-- apparently no language pack is installed for the EN UK (which I am using)

3. When I add USA It says the language pack is 'enabled' http://oi50.tinypic.com/153ybrt.jpg

So my UI / SYSTEM is running UK ENU without a language pack and thats why the workflow fails?  I have tried to download a UK Language pack for server 2012 but I need to be a OEM partner, and nothing is available on LIP to download for ENU UK.

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:31 PM