none
Approved Resource hours in the PWA Resource Plan RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Server 2010 integrated mode. Historically, we have place the approved resources in tasks with their approved hours. I have some decision makers that decided we are going to use the Resource Plans instead of the Project Schedules for approved resources. As we receive named resources for the demand requests, the named resources are going to be put into two different places.

1. Task assignment with 0 Hours in the Project Schedules - This makes it so that the resources can add that that task to their timesheet and submit actual hours against that task. The Generic Resources are in the Project Schedule with the Demand hours. The only time the demand hours will be modified is at the beginning of the week when all of the Status Updates for the previous week have been accepted into the Projects.
    2. Resource Plan in PWA with the approved hours - The Resource Plans are set to calculate from the Resource Plan.

We have yet implemented the full Portfolio Management. From what I have read, the Resource Plans in PWA are meant for planning purposes only. Due to the lack of information about Resource Plans, I do not know what the impact will be when we do implement Portfolio Management and start using the Resource Plans how it is meant to be used.

Anyone have any idea what the impact will be to Portfolio Management with us using the Resource Plans in the above mannger?

One more item - There will be a mixture of where the approved hours will sit in our environment. Some projects will put the approved named resource at the task assignment level. Some projects will put the approved named resource hours in the resource plan. This does pose challenges for the reports since the resource hours are in different tables and different levels. Will this pose any other issues when it comes to the resource allocation information that is available in the Resource Center?

Saturday, September 7, 2013 5:05 PM

Answers

• LyndaF,

Your scenario is somewhat complicated, so let me try and paraphrase it for my own understanding.

1) you will use Generic Resources in Project Plans to indicate Demand

2) You will use Resource Plans to indicate Named Resources, and their approved hours on the plan, while still leaving Generic Resources in the Schedule.

3) You will also have assignments in the Schedule with Named Resources to allow them to track actual work.

I personally think there is an overlap in your demand vs capacity planning process. However, let me answer your questions on the Portfolio Management Piece first.

1. First the good news. Portfolio Analysis will work with Resouce Plans as well as project scheudles, without any issues. 
    2. However, At any given time, the "Demand" for the project can be calculated EITHER from Resource Plan (or) the project Schedule. Not both at the same time (for a given time period). And this is a setting at the project level, so the tool follows that setting. You can do a mixture of both, but not simultaneously.
    3. As long as you clarify where you "Demand" resides, Portfolio Analysis will use that to calculate. It does not matter if it is the Project Schedule or the Resource Plan, as dictated in the setting on the resource plan screen for the project.
    4. The "Capacity" of the resource is calculated from the Max Units - Current Allocations, by role. 
    5. I think at the Resource Center level, you will have some 'interpretation' issues, because you do not know if the hours are coming from resource plan or the assignments. (2013 version solves this issue)

Does this help at all?

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by LyndaF Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:08 PM
    Monday, September 9, 2013 3:51 PM

All replies

• LyndaF,

Your scenario is somewhat complicated, so let me try and paraphrase it for my own understanding.

1) you will use Generic Resources in Project Plans to indicate Demand

2) You will use Resource Plans to indicate Named Resources, and their approved hours on the plan, while still leaving Generic Resources in the Schedule.

3) You will also have assignments in the Schedule with Named Resources to allow them to track actual work.

I personally think there is an overlap in your demand vs capacity planning process. However, let me answer your questions on the Portfolio Management Piece first.

1. First the good news. Portfolio Analysis will work with Resouce Plans as well as project scheudles, without any issues. 
    2. However, At any given time, the "Demand" for the project can be calculated EITHER from Resource Plan (or) the project Schedule. Not both at the same time (for a given time period). And this is a setting at the project level, so the tool follows that setting. You can do a mixture of both, but not simultaneously.
    3. As long as you clarify where you "Demand" resides, Portfolio Analysis will use that to calculate. It does not matter if it is the Project Schedule or the Resource Plan, as dictated in the setting on the resource plan screen for the project.
    4. The "Capacity" of the resource is calculated from the Max Units - Current Allocations, by role. 
    5. I think at the Resource Center level, you will have some 'interpretation' issues, because you do not know if the hours are coming from resource plan or the assignments. (2013 version solves this issue)

Does this help at all?

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by LyndaF Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:08 PM
    Monday, September 9, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Lynda:

You are describing a "solution" that someone came up with, which doesn't tell us anything about the problem you are trying to solve. There a numerous consequences to this arrangement, which strikes me as a way-less-than-optimal use of the system unless you have some very strange requirements I can't imagine.

My best advice to you is seek the counsel of someone who knows how to architect solutions with Project Server, and explain the business problem.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Gary,

I am not trying to solve a problem with this question. You state exactly what I am seeking with this post:

There a numerous consequences to this arrangement, which strikes me as a way-less-than-optimal use of the system unless you have some very strange requirements I can't imagine

It is the consequences of the arrangement that I am concerned with. I came up with a very small list of consequences and wanted to see if I was missing anything. putting the Project Schedule impacts aside, these are the impacts to our environment structure. To explain the first one, we use two different PPM tools, PWA and HP PPM. We systematically take the PWA Resource Demand, convert it into PPM format and input it into HP PPM. The why is a very long story. The short story is HP PPM handles Demand Request fullfillment better than PWA.

1. PPM Integration
      1. The current approach depends on all of the resource data to be maintained in the Project Schedules.
      2. May need to retest and possible programming changes due to the data being in two different formats in PWA.
      3. Generic Resource demand in the Project Schedules is being changed as weeks complete not when named resources fulfill the demand
    2. Resource Availability
      1. Inability to recognize resources are inactive in the Resource Plans
      2. Inability to view the resource availability units. Example 30% max units
    3. Resource Reporting
      1. Eight reports identified so far that would need various levels of remediation
    4. Resource Center
      1. Ability to view resource assignments will no longer be available
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:24 PM