spoolsv.exe causes 100% CPU Usage after SP3 RC installation RRS feed

• Question

• After the last reboot of SP3 RC installation, Task Manager shows 90 - 99% CPU usage by spoolsv.exe , which causes constant 100% CPU utilization.

Stopping and re-starting the Print Spooler service did not resolve it.

Compaq laptop with 1.6GHz Centrino & 1GB RAM. Upgraded from SP2 to SP3 RC.

Installed printers:

HP 8150DN

HP 3700DN

Anyone have an idea other than uninstalling SP3 RC?

Thank you

Monday, January 14, 2008 9:33 PM

Answers

• try searching and deleting *.bud , *.spl,*.shd also run 'tasklist /svc' or use process explorer to see what thread is running under spoolsv... Also maybe a printer driver got corrupted, try uninstall/reinstall printers...
    Monday, January 14, 2008 11:23 PM

All replies

• Maybe it's bad spooler files, try this, stop the service and delete all files in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS

rerun service...
    Monday, January 14, 2008 10:03 PM
  • That folder is empty.

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:12 PM
  • try searching and deleting *.bud , *.spl,*.shd also run 'tasklist /svc' or use process explorer to see what thread is running under spoolsv... Also maybe a printer driver got corrupted, try uninstall/reinstall printers...
    Monday, January 14, 2008 11:23 PM
  •  

Here are the results:
    1. Found and deleted *.bud files
    2. *.spl files not found
    3. *.shd files not found
    4. Tasklist & ProcessExplorer show no thread under spoolsv
    5. Uninstalled printers and rebooted. CPU usage is back to normal
    6. Reinstalled all printers

All seem normal now. Thanks, Matthew26.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:46 PM
  • No probs, glad you back up and running
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Obviously not a one off problem - I am experiencing the same issue.

Friday, May 16, 2008 9:04 PM
  • You're Really not the only one mate! i'm facing the same problem! I tried out the steps given earlier, hopefully they'll help! Not yet restarted, cause i'm doing some important work, as soon as i'm done, i'll be back here to post my situation!

Peace out!
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 7:38 AM
  • yeah, cam accross this several times and 9/10 times its a corrupt driver... If you uninstall your printer and this solves the cpu useage then thats where the problem lies...

As you are too busy at the moment to resolve this and the cpu usage is 'annoying' in cmd type net stop "print spooler"
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:26 AM
  • So I'm back up and running - wahooo. Anyway I did as described above but probably over kill. Try just uninstalling one printer then reinstalling it (as most of us have several printers - especially on laptops). Also to free up the CPU momentarily just bring up the task manager Alt-Ctrl-Del (which is where you see the CPU usage any way - process tab) and highlight spoolsv.exe and press end process.

I'm just glad it wasn't a virus. Would like to know if Microsoft knows about this and is working on a fix themselves. Meanwhile - if you catch these posts - it's not as bad as it seems.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 7:38 PM
  • OK, here's a question off at a tangent...

I use a great little program originally designed for Win98, called Truesync Desktop. Ever since installing a new network HP printer on my XPPro machines today I can only load up Truesync by using the three finger salute and deleting spoolsv.exe. Any ideas on a work around?

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:56 AM
  • Here's a question off at a tangent...

I use a great little program called Truesync Desktop, designed I think for Win 98. I installed drivers for a network HP printer today and since then the only way I can open Truesync is to use the three finger salute then kill spoolsv.exe.

Any ideas for a work around?

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:00 AM
  • try and look for doc that are trying to print  look in all printers i found two that were trying to print i deleted them and now cup is at 0 to 30 %  

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:44 PM
  •  Matthew26 wrote:
    try searching and deleting *.bud , *.spl,*.shd also run 'tasklist /svc' or use process explorer to see what thread is running under spoolsv... Also maybe a printer driver got corrupted, try uninstall/reinstall printers...

Process Explorer helped me nail down what the problem was with my spoolsv.exe hogging 50% CPU (of a dual core machine).  I managed to identify Adobe Distiller was holding a print job in the registry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Distiller\8.0\PrinterJobControl.  This would appear/disappear in the lower pane of PE occasionally, and was highlighted in red - hard to catch.  Also, Adobe was identified in the Stack.   I deleted all below PrinterJobControl and the spoolsv.exe CPU use instantly went from 50% to nothing and the problem appears to be fixed, machine now boots normally.

Symptoms on my machine were:
    - Would not boot completely - desktop wallpaper would display but no taskbar and the PC would hang there until ctrl+alt+del
    - Ctrl + Alt + Del, then stop spoolsv.exe (taking 50% CPU) would allow the machine to finish booting.
    - All printers were at that point gone from Printers & Faxes because the print spooler had to be disabled for the PC to boot.
    - Starting Print Spooler had no affect on the contents of Printers & Faxes.
    - Spoolsv.exe would randomly start and have to be killed to operate certain explorer related functions of the PC.

This was after days of:
    - Chasing possible viruses
    - Looking for jobs in the System32\spool\PRINTERS folder (there were none)
    - Searching the HD for all *.bud , *.spl,*.shd files (there was one *.bud). 
    - Uninstalling my printer

None of the above resolved the problem, which seem to be the most common fixes.
    • Proposed as answer by tswaters Monday, June 22, 2009 7:14 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2008 6:09 PM
  • I have seen a very similar problem with the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer when this "virtual" printer was deleted with a job pending.  I found plenty of reports of the same problem.  The Adobe Distiller is a similar sort of "virtual" printer.  Windows XP seems prone to get itself into a mess with these.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:40 AM
  • This did the trick!!!   I was working on 2 wkstns that just had Adobe 8 Professional installed and were having the above problems since then.    distiller seemed to be holding on to a pdf file in c:\temp, which wasn't there anymore when I searched for it.   Once I deleted the registry entry, printers reappeard and performance was back to normal.    Thanks a bunch!!!

Shahab

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:40 PM
  • This will most probably be your printer drivers. I had the same problem after running the SP3 Installation and all I did was upgrade my printer drivers to the latest and the problem went away.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:39 AM