how to write a rule to make a list or list item not to show up in the search results. RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anyway that could make the list or list item should not show up in sharepoint out-of-box search results.

Thanks in Advance

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Your requirement can be full filled with a small customization work.

You can execute a piece of code via a simple console or other application or via a feature receiver that will mark all lists except pages library as unsearchable.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:24 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From the list's menu bar, select the Settings drop down, then List Settings (or something similar). Next, click Advanced Settings and you should see the option you are looking for at the bottom of the page.

Best wishes,

Eric

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Your answer is working if i need some specific list not to be visible in the search results. but in my company i have many lists and libraries. so is there anyway i could write some rule in central admin or some where where i can make all lists and libraries in my entire site collection not to be shown up in search results.

Thanks in Advance.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

I haven't worked directly in Central Admin, but there are a number of search related settings/items there, especially under Shared Services Administration.

Within your SharePoint site itself, you can go to Site Actions, Site Settings, Site Administration, Search visibility and turn off indexing of site content and aspx page content for search purposes. I would check any sub-sites too, to see if inheritance is working for this setting.

Best,

Eric

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:38 PM
  • I want ASPX pages to be visible in the search results. Only the lists and libraries should be not shown up in the results. 

I am checking for a location where i can add some rule where i stops showing up all the lists and libraries in the entire site collection search results.

Instead of going to each and every list and specifing that that list should not be visible in search results by setting in advanced settings of the list.

Thanks !

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Hi,

Your requirement can be full filled with a small customization work.

You can execute a piece of code via a simple console or other application or via a feature receiver that will mark all lists except pages library as unsearchable.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:24 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 6:13 PM