none
Packet Loss on Hyper-v 2016

Question

• multiple vms across muliple hyper-v 2016 servers are getting ping timeouts throughtout the day. Server Drivers are up to date. 
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We have had issues with networking on less than 10GB interfaces with VMqueue being enabled on the NIC's. 

If you go into the properties of the network adaptors on the hosts > click "configure" > Advanced > scroll to "virtuial machine queues" and disable the setting. 

Without 10GB nics with hardware acceleration to take advantage of VMQ as advised by Microsoft this setting should be set to disabled as it is enabled by default and can cause issues with network performance.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:26 PM
  • VMQ should not be enabled on 1Gb NICs.

Also, be sure that the drivers of the physical NICs have all power savings features turned off.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 5:20 PM
  • we are using 10Gb capable nics. Still advised to turn off? does it need to be off on nic and vm? any reboots needed ?
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

It will depend on the type of NIC and the networking to see if VMQ is beneficial to your environment. If you are experiencing issues then this is something worthj testing as it can be complete without a reboot.

You will only need to disable this on the physical NICs on the hosts themselves not the VM's, more information on VMQ can be found here:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2013/09/10/vmq-deep-dive-1-of-3/

Thursday, January 26, 2017 5:37 PM
  • Hi Mp2011,

>>multiple vms across muliple hyper-v 2016 servers are getting ping timeouts throughtout the day.

Did you make any changes before the issue happen?

Where are you ping from and to?

If VMs are on different hosts, how are the hosts connected to each other? Is the connection stable?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 27, 2017 2:04 AM
  • these are new hyper-v 2016 installs on new bl460 gen9 hardware using virtual connect. still seeing timeouts after disabling vmq. 
    Friday, January 27, 2017 1:08 PM
  • Hi MP2011,

>>these are new hyper-v 2016 installs on new bl460 gen9 hardware using virtual connect.

I suggest you consult HP technical support for detailed analysis.

http://support.hp.com/sg-en

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 30, 2017 5:12 AM
  • Has there been any update to this case?  I have a 3 Node HV2012R2 Cluster that is dropping packets on newly provisioned machines maybe 50% of the time and migrating it to another host then back usually resolves the issue.  I've had support cases with MS for this and they told me to turn off TCP Offloading as well as VMQ so there's obviously something wrong.  When I initially disabled the two options MS suggested the VMs stopped dropping packets for a couple of weeks but now its back and worse than before.  HELP! :)
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:10 PM