none
Outlook - Envelope icon doesn't disappear

All replies

• Hi,
    We can't control how and if the message envelope is displayed in Outlook from the Server Side.
    Therefore, I suggest that you re-post your question in the forum for Outlook.

Outlook Forum
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/threads

Martina Miskovic

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Hi ,

Please Make sure the envelope isn’t hidden in the Notification Area.

1. Start-> Control Panel-> Appearance and Personalization-> Taskbar and Start Menu-> button Customize…
    2. Find the envelope and click on the dropdown list and configure it from “Only show notifications” to “Show icon and notifications”
    3. Press OK twice to close the open windows.

If the envelope icon still doesn’t display when you receive a new message, check to see how Outlook is configured. From within the program, click the File tab, Options, Mail category, scroll down to the Desktop Alerts section, and make sure that “Show an envelope icon in the taskbar” is enabled (checked). (It should be enabled by default, but it’s worth reviewing to make certain.) Click “OK” to save your settings.

By the way, what type of account configured in outlook ?

Internet Mail Access Protocol version 4 (IMAP4) and HTTP accounts do not support the Desktop Alerts feature.

More information:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/envelope-icon-not-showing-with-show-an-envelope/c2f0005f-c891-4917-ae2c-db5beda8e059

Wendy Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:25 AM
  • Hi,

thanks, but you didn't get my question correctly. The icon does show already, but it doesn't disappear after reading mails.

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:19 AM
  • Well, that's funny :)

Because I got the same answer already in the "answers.microsoft.com" Outlook forum that I should post my question in the exchange forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-outlook/envelope-icon-doesnt-disappear/bb25780b-be05-4c43-8276-57ca3fd60d61

Ok, then I'll try the next forum (this time TechNet Outlook: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/thread/7fce1762-8f49-4162-8dab-bff20f34c8ee )

If I get an answer, I'll update it here.

Thanks

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for misunderstanding your meaning.

How's it going ?

Can you confirm you have readed  the latest message ? Are there any other new unread message ?

How about recreate a Outlook Profile ?

Wendy Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:06 AM
  • Hi, if you mean the one with the second Outlook client? Yes I read it.

Have to test it now.

Recreating the Profile didn't help.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:50 AM
  • From superuser.com:

"Another way of getting rid of the icon is to fully open an email - any email - in a new window (not just in the preview pane) by double-clicking it."

This works for me in win7 and outlook 2013.

• Edited by PerttiKK Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:07 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:04 AM
  • This works for me as well, its a shame this is still an issue in Office 2016 which I'm using. Thanks!
    Monday, February 29, 2016 4:11 PM
  • This 'stuck envelope' is still an issue even in Outlook 2016 - If I have unread emails on my desktop with Outlook 2016 and then I read all unread emails on other device, phone/tablet, the enveloper icon won't disappear on my desktop even though I don't have any unread email there.

This bug must be driving crazy any user with OCD and it should be so easy to fix it.

Please fix it ASAP, thanks.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 1:22 PM
  • This is certainly driving me crazy. Maybe I am an OCD character. I've read the mail. Why must I select another mail before the notification will disappear. Constantly thinking I've got a new mail when I don't. It's stupid!!
    Monday, October 16, 2017 2:13 PM
  • This works for me too, thank you!

Microsoft please fix  this

Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:54 PM
  • This is crazy. Do Microsoft plan to fix this?
    Friday, April 12, 2019 5:25 PM
  • This has been happening for almost 20 years. WTF is wrong with them???
    Thursday, May 16, 2019 2:58 PM