What is the best method to upload excel data into a standard format? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a very new user and just designing my sharepoint sites.  I would like my users to be able to upload excel data into a standard format, rather then just upload the excel file that may or may not contain the same data for each user.  I'm confused over templates, content types, forms, etc.  What is the best method to upload into a standard format?
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 1, 2011 4:06 PM Not customization. (You misunderstood the word "design" in the name of this forum) (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, July 1, 2011 2:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First check if excel services are enabled in your farm.

The use excel web access webpart to display the data.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:56 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What do you mean by standard format?

Do you want to map excel columns to list columns? Please clarify this.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Friday, July 1, 2011 4:57 PM
  • By standard I mean 'predefined'.  For example, I have a bunch of uses that might have different spreadsheets filled with 10 columns of various data.  I know they could just import into a document library.  However, I only want to see the same 4 columns of data from each person's file on my sharepoint site.   I was thinking some sort of 'template'  that contained the 4 column headers I want.  Each user would use that same template to import the data into sharepoint. 

The class I took, and manual I was given, doesn't show examples of my need.  I'm in the process of creating a template from a 'List' that might work.  It looks like I can create a datasheet view that has the 4 column headers I want, and users just cut and paste the appropriate data into it.  However, the data could be hundreds to thousands of rows long.

Would you recommend another way?

Friday, July 1, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

First check if excel services are enabled in your farm.

The use excel web access webpart to display the data.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:56 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Thanks, I will check. 
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:29 PM