none
Custom Split views don't work like the use to pre- Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Either we've lost some functionality along the way, or there must be another way of doing the following...

Up until and including version 2007, I was able to create multiple custom split views in a file (or global.mpt) where the I could specify a different Task Form (e.g., "Predecessors & Successors" or the "Work") depending on which custom split view I selected.

In 2010 and 2013, you have to manually select the Task From you want; the custom split view won't can help you get the specific Task Form you want ((e.g., "Predecessors & Successors", "Work").  At least that has been my experience... does anyone have a solution apart from needing to write a VBA event handler?

Thanks in advance,

\Spiro Theopoulos PMP, MCITP. Montreal, QC (Canada)

Friday, January 23, 2015 7:55 PM

Answers

• Spiro --

My experience has been similar to yours.  What I have seen in at least the 2010 and 2013 versions of Microsoft Project is that the software displays in the Task Form the LAST set of details applied by the user.  This means that in custom combination views, you cannot specify the set of details shown in the Task Form pane.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 23, 2015 10:23 PM
  • I agree with Dale. Project remembers the last set of details applied in form views such as Task Form. Using VBA event handlers you can change this behavior.

1. Open the project file on which this change should be applied.

2. In the View ribbon, click Macro command and select Visual Basic

3. If you want the details displayed in the Task Form to be applied to the current file, double click "ThisProject" node under the VBAProject(your file name) or else double click "ThisProject" node under ProjectGlobal (Global.MPT)

4. Paste below lines in the Project_Open event handler. Save the code.

Private Sub Project_Open(ByVal pj As Project)
        ViewApplyEx ApplyTo:=1, BuiltInView:=pjViewTaskForm
        WindowActivate TopPane:=False
        ViewShowPredecessorsSuccessors
    End Sub

5. You can replace the last statement ViewShowPredecessorsSuccessors with another statement that is compatible with Task Form view

Sai PMP, PMI-SP, MCTS Project, MVP Project

Sunday, January 25, 2015 4:42 AM

All replies

• Spiro --

My experience has been similar to yours.  What I have seen in at least the 2010 and 2013 versions of Microsoft Project is that the software displays in the Task Form the LAST set of details applied by the user.  This means that in custom combination views, you cannot specify the set of details shown in the Task Form pane.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 23, 2015 10:23 PM
  • I agree with Dale. Project remembers the last set of details applied in form views such as Task Form. Using VBA event handlers you can change this behavior.

1. Open the project file on which this change should be applied.

2. In the View ribbon, click Macro command and select Visual Basic

3. If you want the details displayed in the Task Form to be applied to the current file, double click "ThisProject" node under the VBAProject(your file name) or else double click "ThisProject" node under ProjectGlobal (Global.MPT)

4. Paste below lines in the Project_Open event handler. Save the code.

Private Sub Project_Open(ByVal pj As Project)
        ViewApplyEx ApplyTo:=1, BuiltInView:=pjViewTaskForm
        WindowActivate TopPane:=False
        ViewShowPredecessorsSuccessors
    End Sub

5. You can replace the last statement ViewShowPredecessorsSuccessors with another statement that is compatible with Task Form view

Sunday, January 25, 2015 4:42 AM
  • Thank you for confirming my reply answered your question.

Sunday, January 25, 2015 11:36 AM