Server build 10074: iso/DVD install vs. WDS install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

can anyone describe the difference(s) among all of the installation packages available for the 10074 build of the server?

if the system is installed from the DVD/iso image the following items can be selected:
    - Windows Server Technical Preview 2
    - Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (with local admin tools)

if the install.wim is imported into a 2012R2 WDS the following items are available for import and later on for installation:
    - Windows Server 2012R2 SERVERSTANDARDCORE
    - Windows Server 2012R2 SERVERSTANDARD
    - Windows Server 2012R2 SERVERDATACENTERCORE
    - Windows Server 2012R2 SERVERDATACENTER

NOTE:
    regardless which (non core) version will be installed, there is no explorer.exe available.
    to have explorer.exe available, please run: dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:desktopExperience /all

regards
    andy

AnDi

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:38 AM

Answers

• Thanks for trying out Windows Server Technical Preview 2 and posting your questions. I’ll try to explain what you are seeing. The installation options for Windows Server have changed some with Technical Preview 2. Windows Server with Technical Preview 2 now has the following five levels you can run a Windows Server at:

1. Nano Server
    2. Server Core
    3. Server with Local Admin Tools (formerly Minimal Server Interface)
    4. Server with Client Shell
    5. Server with the full Client Experience (formerly Desktop Experience)

In Windows Server 2012 R2 the installation options were:

• Windows Server 2012 R2 (Server Core) – this is option 2 above
    • Windows Server 2012 R2 (Server with a GUI) – this is option 4 above

From these you can convert between 2 through 5, Nano Server is new in Windows Server Technical Preview 2.

In Windows Server Technical Preview 2 the options are now:

• Windows Server Technical Preview 2 – this is option 2 above
    • Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (with local admin tools) – this is option 3 above

From these you can convert between 2 through 5, Nano Server is a separate installation from the NanoServer folder in the ISO. The Nano Server deployment guide is at: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt126167.aspx. With Windows Server Technical Preview 2, if you want the GUI Shell and Internet Explorer as Andreas pointed out above you want to install Server-Gui-Shell and not the Desktop Experience as that adds a lot of client focused functionality.

As far as the differences in what you are seeing in the ISO/DVD and WDS, there appears to be a bug where the labels in the WIM were not updated. The ISO/DVD is pre-keyed so it is only showing the installation option that matches the key in the build.

I hope that answers your questions,

Andrew

P.S. - If you have suggestions for new features or ideas to be evaluated please post them to http://windowsserver.uservoice.com.

Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:43 AM
  • Hi,

A bug has already been filed on the issue, no need for you to follow up with your TAM.

Thanks,

Andrew

Sunday, May 10, 2015 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

I'm checking with the Dism team on this, thank you for submitting on the user voice site as well.

The Server Manager PowerShell cmdlets do include a -restart option (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj205467.aspx). You could run:

install-windowsfeature server-gui-shell -restart

Thanks again for the feedback,

Andrew

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:14 AM
    Monday, May 11, 2015 3:10 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

found the solution: adding the following options will do:

/quiet - will reboot if the command is done
    /quiet /norestart - will end dism.exe without rebooting

regards
    andy

AnDi

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:48 AM
    Monday, May 11, 2015 5:08 PM

All replies

• you may want to check this, Windows Server 2012 R2 Products and Editions Comparison.

I haven't check Windows Server Technical Preview. as far as I know Windows Server Technical Preview 2, I believe it is the same edition to Windows Server 2012 standard.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:53 AM
  • Hi,

sorry - maybe not clear enough:
    if I install the Windows Serevr technical preview from DVD I can select from the 1st 2 items.

If I import the install.wim from the same DVD to a WDS, I have 4 selections.
    those names have the '2012 R2' string in the name, but if this is installed via WDS,
    it's a Server Technical Preview build 10074.

Therefore the link to the comparison sheet of 2012R2 is useless, but thanks for pointing to that,
    but it's already known.

regards
    andy

AnDi

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:59 AM
  • hi

there are 2 features available to install:

Server-Gui-Shell        - this s the base GUI

DesktopExperience     - a lot of additional tools 

Therefore: to have the explorer available like in 2012R2 base installation run
    dism /online /enable-feature /featureName:Serevr-Gui-Shell

regards

andy

p.s.

additional information can be found

start servermanager
    goto 'add roles and features'
    step forward to the 'Features' list
    scroll down to 'User Interfaces and Infrastructure'
    and see what the sub items have listed in the description pane to the right

AnDi

Friday, May 8, 2015 8:29 AM
  •  Windows Server Technical Preview 2 seems the new Nano Server Install. Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (with local admin tools) is what it was called before Minimal Server, meaning the Server Core plus some GUI tools, like Server Manager. If you want to have the old Server with a GUI, enable from Server Manager, on User Interface option, the Server Graphical Shell. If you want the whole Windows 10 features available for Windows Server, enable Desktop Experience, GUI for Windows Server Antimalware (Windows Defender), Fax Server, Windows Server Backup, XPS Viewer and Wireless, Windows Biometric. .NET Framework also available, if you want to install certain programs that require it.
    Friday, May 8, 2015 9:57 AM
  • Thanks for trying out Windows Server Technical Preview 2 and posting your questions. I’ll try to explain what you are seeing. The installation options for Windows Server have changed some with Technical Preview 2. Windows Server with Technical Preview 2 now has the following five levels you can run a Windows Server at:

1. Nano Server
    2. Server Core
    3. Server with Local Admin Tools (formerly Minimal Server Interface)
    4. Server with Client Shell
    5. Server with the full Client Experience (formerly Desktop Experience)

In Windows Server 2012 R2 the installation options were:

• Windows Server 2012 R2 (Server Core) – this is option 2 above
    • Windows Server 2012 R2 (Server with a GUI) – this is option 4 above

From these you can convert between 2 through 5, Nano Server is new in Windows Server Technical Preview 2.

In Windows Server Technical Preview 2 the options are now:

• Windows Server Technical Preview 2 – this is option 2 above
    • Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (with local admin tools) – this is option 3 above

From these you can convert between 2 through 5, Nano Server is a separate installation from the NanoServer folder in the ISO. The Nano Server deployment guide is at: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt126167.aspx. With Windows Server Technical Preview 2, if you want the GUI Shell and Internet Explorer as Andreas pointed out above you want to install Server-Gui-Shell and not the Desktop Experience as that adds a lot of client focused functionality.

As far as the differences in what you are seeing in the ISO/DVD and WDS, there appears to be a bug where the labels in the WIM were not updated. The ISO/DVD is pre-keyed so it is only showing the installation option that matches the key in the build.

I hope that answers your questions,

Andrew

P.S. - If you have suggestions for new features or ideas to be evaluated please post them to http://windowsserver.uservoice.com.

Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:43 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

thanks for the documentation on the single server grades.

Will you create a ticket for renaming the internal wim file names, or should I try
    to create one with our TAM?

I would prefer the first, because we, as well as our TAM, have no mail addresses where
    we are able to communicate with if there are problems with on of the previews.

if you need the name of our TAM, please drop a private message.

Thanks in advance
    andy

AnDi

Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:08 PM
  • Hi,

A bug has already been filed on the issue, no need for you to follow up with your TAM.

Thanks,

Andrew

Sunday, May 10, 2015 6:06 PM
  • hi all,

please take care:

the command to enable explorer (dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:server-gui-shell)
    cannot be used in a script

we have a script to setup our software.
    This script has to deal with base OS installations from DVD.
    therefore I added
    dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:server-gui-shell
    to enable explorer.

but the script stuck, waiting for an input to reboot or not.
    There is currently no command option available do this automatically.
     (or it is not documented in dism /online /enable-feature /?)

log file shows at the far end:
    Enabling feature(s)
    The operation completed successfully.
    Restart Windows to complete this operation.
    Do you want to restart the computer now? (Y/N)

please add a command line option, or
    kill the interaction at the end of dism.exe

regards
    andy

p.s. already entered via http://windowsserver.uservoice.com.

Let's wait for the reaction

AnDi

Monday, May 11, 2015 2:01 PM
  • Hi,

I'm checking with the Dism team on this, thank you for submitting on the user voice site as well.

The Server Manager PowerShell cmdlets do include a -restart option (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj205467.aspx). You could run:

install-windowsfeature server-gui-shell -restart

Thanks again for the feedback,

Andrew

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:47 AM
    Monday, May 11, 2015 3:10 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

found the solution: adding the following options will do:

/quiet - will reboot if the command is done
    /quiet /norestart - will end dism.exe without rebooting

regards
    andy

AnDi

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:48 AM
    Monday, May 11, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Wow I think I finally got my answer. I was loosing my mind as I would Download the ISO from eval center and burn it to disk. If I ran dism /get-Wiminfo I was also seeing 2012r2 Server details with 4 indexes. You should really put some disclaimer on the download page Saying something about that. Seriously, not cool, probably wasted 5 or 6 DVDs and who knows How many hours trying to figure out which Server version it really was. Finally saw that only TP 2 had nano server folder. The really weird thing is that when I first downloaded the ISO Dism was showing it correctly. server tp 2 with 2 indexes. So which index details are correct?. Are there 2 indexes or 4 as dism now Says? And how or why would that info have changed? I know I've been looking all over about this issue and This is first time I stumbled on any explanation for what dism is showing.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry if that this caused confusion. The 4 indexes is the correct list, I don't know why it would have shown 2. If you still have that old image and can post the file name and the date you downloaded it, I can look into it.

Andrew

Thursday, June 18, 2015 12:08 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

just loaded technical preview 3 into WDS.

the internal names of the sources\install. wim wtill have 2012 R2 in the name instead of 2016.

Seemed that it had not yet been changed

regards
    andy

AnDi

Monday, August 24, 2015 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

Correct, it unfortunately didn't make Technical Preview 3.

Thanks,

Andrew

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 9:13 PM