locked
Win7 Pro 64bit - high disk usage w/ SPS RRS feed

  • Question

  • System - Acer Tower - Intel Quad Core 2.8Ghz, 6GB RAM, 1TB SATA HDD.
    Windows 7 PRO 64bit

    Hi,

    I've been searching and reading for several hours and cannot find an answer, so I'm trying on here. I support a small company and one of their employees turned on his PC Monday morning and it was slow. So slow it was causing the machine to become inoperable. After hours of troubleshooting I determined that stopping the SPS service (Software Protection Service) would make this issue go away. With the service turned on the HDD usage was 100% by the service sppsvc. Some important points:

    - Safe mode works fine.
    - Ran full virus scan with Bit Defender and MSSE - no viruses
    - Ran a full scan with Malwarebytes - no spyware
    - Different user account has same issue.

    Other things that also did not function:
    - System restore could not locate restore points
    - Bit Defender antivirus could not start ("encountered a critical error and needs to restart")
    - Windows update will not load, Error - 80072EE7
    - IE 9 opens to a blank window
    - Task Scheduler service options are greyed out.

    What changed:
    - User installed a update for a piece of software he's been using for years. Legit update/software, I've looked into this already and spoke with their support team. Update was fully compatible with Win7. But he continued to use the software for the rest of the day Friday with no issues. No other changes to the machine in months. Turned the machine off Friday when he left.

    I had to fully uninstall and re-install Bit Defender to get it to function (service would not start, nothing in the logs, just the error above). Upon stopping the SPS service IE will work, WU will work, and system restore will find restore points. With SPS enabled it thrashes the HDD so much that windows hangs and is very slow to respond.

    I ran WU, and updated all antivirus/spyware and ran scans. Nothing found.
    I ran verifier and it found "no unsigned drivers"
    I cleared the event viewer, rebooted > no errors.
    chkdsk - 0 bad blocks
    defrag completed - no issues
    PC is clean, less than 1 year old and dust free

    I cannot determine why this service is causing a fuss and thrashing the HDD. Even in a diagnostic start-up the issue occurs. I also cannot determine what file its reading or writing to, or if a repository needs "cleaning". Information on this issue is limited, so any help is appreciated. My next step is to run a repair on the OS or backup & clean install.

    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:17 PM

Answers

  • This issue has been solved. It was the Sata controller that failed. Not sure why the SPS service was acting this way though.
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:58 PM

All replies

  • I may also add that my OS architecture knowledge is advanced and I've been in the IT field for 15 years. But if anyone can shed some light on the job duties of the SPS service and its HDD use, please share. Thank You
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Hi

    I would like suggest you troubleshoot the problem by performing a clean boot in Windows 7.

    Also please try to the steps in Optimizing windows 7 for better performance.

    If all above are useless, just as you said you can try the “Clean Install”.

    Hope this helps.


    Your Name

    TechNet Community Support

    Friday, August 31, 2012 9:18 AM
  • Hi

    I would like suggest you troubleshoot the problem by performing a clean boot in Windows 7.

    Also please try to the steps in Optimizing windows 7 for better performance.

    If all above are useless, just as you said you can try the “Clean Install”.

    Hope this helps.


    Your Name

    TechNet Community Support

    Hi,

    I have, but the issue occurs even in a Diagnostic Start-up. This is a MS Service causing the issue so a clean boot will be of no help. Thanks for the reply though.

    Friday, August 31, 2012 12:40 PM
  • This issue has been solved. It was the Sata controller that failed. Not sure why the SPS service was acting this way though.
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:58 PM