Resource Work Availability Report RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a report that shows resource projections over time compared to the resource availability.  I want to be able to insert projected future projects into the master schedule to decide whether or not we have the manpower necessary to support them.  Our engineers have an estimating spreadsheet that they use to break down the number of hours per task per resource needed to complete each project.  For each new project, I connect the schedule template to the resource pool and make all necessary resource assignments (this is loaded through a macro we created from excel).  The resource pool is probably connected to an average of 40 projects at a time.  I want to be able to create reports that include all of the projects that are connected to the resource pool.  I figured the best reporting tool that Project 2007 has for this is the resource work availability report.  This report runs fine when I run it out of a single project; however, it only includes the hours from that project.  I have tried to run it out of the master schedule (which all schedules are linked to) and it gives me an error and automatically closes MS Project.  Does MS project have the capability to run this type of report for consolidated projects?  If not, are there any other suggestions to do something similar to this?

Also, I try to go back every now and then and break the link between the resource pool and a completed project schedules.  However, when I go to do it again a few weeks later, the schedules that I broke the link for are somehow getting reconnected.  Any thoughts on what could be happening?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Saintfan4life,

Here a resome ideas you could try:

• Open the master schedule, remove the link to the project (leave the project in there, just remove the link in the Information window). Do this for all inserted projects (DO NOT SAVE as this will permanently break the link!!!). Run the report on the master schedule (which does not have inserted projects anymore, but does contain the data from the projects)
    • You could also create a macro to export your data in an Excel sheet for reporting.

Have you ever considered Project Server? With 40 projects connected to the resource pool and having the need for overview reports, you might benefit alot from Project Server. Project Server has one central resource pool to which all projects connect and comes with a lot of reporting capabilities. It also includes other features like timesheets, portfolio analyses, collaboration sites, etc.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    • Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Glen Friday, December 23, 2011 10:16 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Saintfan4life,

Here a resome ideas you could try:

• Open the master schedule, remove the link to the project (leave the project in there, just remove the link in the Information window). Do this for all inserted projects (DO NOT SAVE as this will permanently break the link!!!). Run the report on the master schedule (which does not have inserted projects anymore, but does contain the data from the projects)
    • You could also create a macro to export your data in an Excel sheet for reporting.

Have you ever considered Project Server? With 40 projects connected to the resource pool and having the need for overview reports, you might benefit alot from Project Server. Project Server has one central resource pool to which all projects connect and comes with a lot of reporting capabilities. It also includes other features like timesheets, portfolio analyses, collaboration sites, etc.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    • Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Glen Friday, December 23, 2011 10:16 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 8:24 AM
  • Thanks!  I used your first idea and it seemed to work.  However, I am trying to compare the workload to the resource avialability and it is now showing 0 for the resource availability.  I opened the resource pool along with the project before I ran the report. 

I have not looked into project server.  I am definitely going to do some research the see the reporting that project server offers.  I just started this scheduling process a couple of months ago.  I was asked to put this process together from scratch with little experience myself.  I was able to put together a process that enables us to have a pretty good presentation tool.  Now we are trying to improve it into a tool that creates additional value besides a nice presentation.  So, I truly appreciate your help!

Friday, July 15, 2011 8:16 PM