Setting up external Skype RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer that already has internal skype set up. So they can use skype within there company. They now want to be able to use skype to people outside there company. So they want it to be set up for external use. How do I go about setting this up? Is an edge server %100 needed to achieve this? Or can I get away with what the customer already has in terms of servers/equipment, and do not need to purchase anything extra.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Hendry5,

Welcome to post in our forum.

Agree with others.

Deploying edge components for Microsoft SFB 2015 makes it possible for external users who are not logged into your organization’s internal network, including authenticated and anonymous remote users, federated partners (including XMPP partners), mobile clients and users of public instant messaging (IM) services, to communicate with other users in your organization using Lync Server.

As a supplement, Edge components include the following:

Edge Servers

Reverse proxies

Firewalls

Directors (optional, and logically located on the internal network)

Load balancing for Scaled Edge Topologies (either DNS load balancing or a hardware load balancer)

For more details, please refer to

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425779(v=ocs.15).aspx

If you want to deploy Edge server in your environment, you need two network adapters for edge server, one for internal and the other is for external.

Here is a blog about how to setup Edge server for Skype for business

http://www.rtcpedia.com/Blogs/Action?blogId=10039&blogURL=StepByStepInstallEdgeServer

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Alice-Wang Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:59 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, October 17, 2016 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alice-Wang Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:57 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Hendry5, 

Yes Edge is required if you are planning for an access  outside your organization, its not only about  isolation of internal Networks , it also takes care of the Audio part which  is very much required when connecting from external I will share few blogs and forums about the importance of edge 

For Edge Server, you need to deploy it at DMZ zone and open port as the link below (it is for Lync Server 2013 but the same with SFB Server 2015):

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425891(v=ocs.15).aspx

Also, if you want to use SFB on mobility devices, the Reverse Proxy is needed.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398069(v=ocs.15).aspx

Why Edge is important

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/600088fb-c756-4c6e-afcb-6191cbb4878f/how-do-i-know-if-i-need-to-establish-an-edge-pool?forum=sfbfr#1254a423-8751-4ab2-9e72-5d36bdbf5572

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:39 AM
  • Akampa is 100% correct.  But I'll add that a reverse proxy isn't just for mobility, it's for address book look-ups and downloads, web meetings, and more.  So a reverse proxy is also a requirement.  

You'll need at a minimum one public IP for each of these roles but the edge ideally will use 3 public IPs for maximum compatibility.  

As a part of this, they will also need to purchase a UC certificate from a trusted third party such as DigiCert.  A wildcard cannot be used, so there will be a cost there.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:00 PM
  • you will need edge and maybe 2 for HA. you can have both on VM or physical server you will need to secure both box ( firewall anti virus) you will need to purchase public certificate and public ip address. a reverse proxy may be needed also to host meeting and mobile client
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Hi Hendry5,

Welcome to post in our forum.

Agree with others.

Deploying edge components for Microsoft SFB 2015 makes it possible for external users who are not logged into your organization’s internal network, including authenticated and anonymous remote users, federated partners (including XMPP partners), mobile clients and users of public instant messaging (IM) services, to communicate with other users in your organization using Lync Server.

As a supplement, Edge components include the following:

Edge Servers

Reverse proxies

Firewalls

Directors (optional, and logically located on the internal network)

Load balancing for Scaled Edge Topologies (either DNS load balancing or a hardware load balancer)

For more details, please refer to

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425779(v=ocs.15).aspx

If you want to deploy Edge server in your environment, you need two network adapters for edge server, one for internal and the other is for external.

Here is a blog about how to setup Edge server for Skype for business

http://www.rtcpedia.com/Blogs/Action?blogId=10039&blogURL=StepByStepInstallEdgeServer

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Alice-Wang Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:59 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, October 17, 2016 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alice-Wang Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:57 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:57 AM
  • Our customer has internal skype only. They now want a quote for external Federated Skype. Please can anyone let me know exactly whats needed to achieve this please? Or point me in the correct direction.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:24 AM
  • You'll need at a minimum:

1 edge server (no Lync/Skype licensing required, just a Windows server license)

1 Reverse proxy (same as above, only windows server license needed)

1 UC cert from a third party authority that has several subject alternative names.  

+ however much you'd charge to install it all.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Thursday, October 20, 2016 9:41 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Hi Hendry5,

Thanks for your response.

As a supplement, you could try the following method to do federation between SFB and skype

The following is the integration process :

1.Configure Federation and PIC.

2.Configure at least one policy to support federated user access.

3.Configure the Skype PIC provider setting.

For more information, please refer to

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn705313.aspx

Hope this reply helpful to you.

Alice Wang

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Friday, October 21, 2016 9:54 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 9:55 AM
  • thank you for the reply. Is external skype possible to work with DynDNS?
    Monday, October 24, 2016 1:17 PM
  • rather than using static IPs.
    Monday, October 24, 2016 3:20 PM
  • If you're not NATting, the IP is directly on the device, it would work, but may not be reliable or supported.  If you're using NAT, then no, the external A/V IP address needs to be specifically stated in the topology builder.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Tuesday, October 25, 2016 9:57 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 3:25 PM
  • A/V ?
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:41 AM
  • Hi Hendry5,

Thanks for your response.

Would you please tell us did you mean when Skype federate with Skype for business, is it possible to use A/V ?

So far, between Skype for Business client and Skype software, it is only support peer-to-peer IM, A\V chat but not meeting also with share desktop\PPT or others.

If I misunderstand, please feel free tell me.

Alice Wang

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Thursday, October 27, 2016 9:06 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:44 AM