cannot open an excel spreadsheet from a SharePoint site RRS feed

• Question

• I try to export a chart in sharepoint to an excel spreadsheet and i get an error message - MS Office has detected a potential security concern.  data connections have been blocked.  if you choose to enable data connections, your computer may no longer be secure.  do not enable this content unless you trust this source.  i click on the enable button and I get another dialogue box that says - excel cannot connect to the sharepoint list.  any suggestions and/or recommendations on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:06 AM

Answers

•  

Hi djromanello,

CAUSE:
    ====================

1. It happens if we have customization on the site and we have WSE 2.0 installed on the site.
    (WSE 2.0 - Web services Enhancements)

2. The WSE is the add-on for Microsoft Visual Studio® .NET.

3. If we have the WSE 2.0 installed on 
    SharePoint server then following entry gets added in web.config file of ISAPI folder.
    (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\ISAPI\ )
    <soapExtensionTypes> 
    <add type="Microsoft.Web.Services2.WebServicesExtension,Microsoft.Web.Services2,Version=2.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" priority="1" group="0" /> 
    </soapExtensionTypes> 

RESOLUTION/WORKAROUND:
    =========================

1. Deleted the above entry from the web.config file of ISAPI.
    (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\ISAPI\ )

(Note: Make sure that it won't affect the customization)

STEPS 
    TO REPRO:
    ====================
    1. Install WSE 2.0 on your 
    SharePoint server and make sure that we have following entry added in web.config of ISAPI folder

<soapExtensionTypes> 
    <add type="Microsoft.Web.Services2.WebServicesExtension,Microsoft.Web.Services2,Version=2.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" priority="1" group="0" /> 
    </soapExtensionTypes> 

MORE INFORMATION:
    ====================
    you can download WSE 2.0 with SP2 from the following web site: 
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=22&p=2&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3dfc5f06c5-821f-41d3-a4fe-6c7b56423841%26DisplayLang%3den

Thanks,
    Lhan

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:33 AM