Putting a document into another document without messing up format, page #'s, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have 2 different documents on word 2007.

I'm trying to insert one of the documents in the middle of the other document without messing up format or page numbers.

Both, have table of contents and everytime I try to paste the 1st document onto the other document it messes up all the format and page numbers are not accuarte to the table of contents. I have 2 table of contents in this one big document I'm trying to create. One of the table of contents is towards the beginning, and the other document is towards the middle. But word doesn't allow me to copy and paste it messes the whole thing up.

I tried doing the
    1. insert
    2. object
    3. insert file
    4. pick file
    5. display as icon

But the thing is I don't want it to have a little icon. I want to be able to just have the layout displayed all without having a little icon to click.

I hope you are able to help.

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:42 PM

Answers

• If both documents are using the same styles for headings, then, inevitably, the TOCs will change in the combined document. What you can do is bookmark all of the inserted text and then add the \b bookmarkname switch to its TOC. See http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/TOCTips.htm#PartialTOC.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:36 AM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:44 PM