none
Block ECP externally RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

I'm afraid it will affect the OWA options.

Just now I did the following test: Stop the ecp application pool in IIS manager and restart IIS (it should be similar with disabling ECP via a rule), I can access the OWA option page because it has a different URL with ECP. However, when I click on the distribution group, it gives me a "Service unavailable" error which is the same with that I get from the ECP page, while other options are working fine.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 7:38 AM
  • Hi, newpotatoe

Stopping ECP application pool is a very bad idea, it will also block ECP internally. And it will restart after IIS restart. 

New-ClientAccessRule cmdlet applies to Exchange 2019 and Exchange online, not available for Exchange 2016, and it will affect client access internally and externally. Anyway, how do you block outlook.office.com/ecp externally? And what's the ExternalURL configured on Ecp Virtual Directory?

Thursday, August 16, 2018 3:50 AM
  • Hi, newpotatoe

Stopping ECP application pool is a very bad idea, it will also block ECP internally. And it will restart after IIS restart. 

New-ClientAccessRule cmdlet applies to Exchange 2019 and Exchange online, not available for Exchange 2016, and it will affect client access internally and externally. Anyway, how do you block outlook.office.com/ecp externally? And what's the ExternalURL configured on Ecp Virtual Directory?

@Lynn, I mean I did a test to stop the ecp app pool, not advise him to do that. Sure, it is not recommend to stop the ecp app pool.

Thanks for reminding me, I have edited my first post.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, August 16, 2018 4:39 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, August 20, 2018 4:13 PM