WSUS client not reporting to server RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked at several forum entries, as well as information on the MS web site, but have not found the answer to my issue. Our Company distributes automatic updates to the local client machines (using Windows XP Professional) through a site WSUS server. This works quite well in most cases, but I have found one machine that will not talk to the server. In trying to find the root cause of this issue, I found TechNet bulletin that explained where to look in the Registry for the settings to let the local client know where to find the server, etc. On the machines that are working, these settings are all set the same. On the machine that is not communicating, something must have happend because NONE of the settings are present in its Registry.

I have been trying to find a way to reestablish these settings, but have not found the right course of action. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated, since the only other course of action I have been given is to reimage the machine, which I don't want to do unless ABSOLUTELY necessary!

Thanks for your insight into this issue!
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Try WUA client diagonastic tool....Hope this will help you to find out exact reason why client not reporting to server

http://www.wsus.info/forums/index.php?showforum=8 

Thanks,
    Sachin
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:51 AM
  • As the other poster said, try the client diagnostic tool.

Also look at the windowsUpdate.log under c:\windows of this pc.

Since you say the registry settings aren't there it could also be that this pc was moved to a different OU in AD, thus losing its wsus gpo settings. So first check the automatic updates window on this pc and see if the settings on it are greyed out. If they are then your policy is applying like it should. If they aren't then policy is not applying. Check to see if this pc is in the right OU. You can try a gpupdate /force on this pc.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:16 PM
  • OK< here is what we have found and done. The Registry entries for the update was completely missing. I exported the keys from my machine, then installed them in this one. That fixed a portion of this, but not all of it. We then installed the most recent update package from Microsoft, after trying some other things that did not work. Once that was installed, some other things were fixed. We still have other issues, that seem to point to security between the local machine and the WSUS server, that still have not resolved.

Any thoughts on where to look for a repair of this issue?
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:47 PM
  • As previously suggested, you start by running the Client Diagnostic Tool, and posting the results for analysis.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:39 AM
  • hello this is an old post and I posted about this same issue. let start from the beginning installed built a server 08 64 bit joined it to domain installed wsus ver 3.2.76 configured it with most defaults

sync from ms update\no proxy\english for language\most of the classifications\synch automatically at 5am

my gpo moved computers into an ou and added them to a security group inside the ou. I attached that security group to a gpo and built the gpo to the wsus specs. I see the machines inside wsus I tried to send updates to to test machines but it did not work the machines are just sitting in wsus not going any further. makes me think the gpo is working the way it should I did notice in gpresult it does show the gpo but says denied? ok I might have it figured out I logged in as admin and did the gpresult it now says applied for my gpo please dont tell me all the machines need admin to push the windows updates?

note i ran the wus client tool and got 3 passes but red where it says getfileversion failed with hr=0x80070002 the system cannot find the file specified. I set my push for 4pm est I'll find out in about 15 minutes if this is local admin needed issue.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:48 PM
  • ok update did more digging the wsus client utility is just for 32bit os only, you have to check logs for 64bit os. the output looks good so I am stumped why update not being pushed to the machine. I can ping by name and ip and firewall off on server. I'll adjust wsus gpo and see if that changes anything.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:02 PM
  • ok update did more digging the wsus client utility is just for 32bit os only, you have to check logs for 64bit os. the output looks good so I am stumped why update not being pushed to the machine. I can ping by name and ip and firewall off on server. I'll adjust wsus gpo and see if that changes anything.

Next step: Inspect the WindowsUpdate.log for errors.

Please do the following:

1. Record the system time of the client.
    2. Reboot the client or restart the Windows Update service.
    3. Run this command: wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow.
    4. Wait 30 minutes.
    5. Post the entries from the WindowsUpdate.log starting with the first entry after the time recorded in Step #1 and continuing to the end of the logfile.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:08 AM
  • note i ran the wus client tool and got 3 passes but red where it says getfileversion failed with hr=0x80070002 the system cannot find the file specified.

This is a natural artifact of running the 32-bit only Microsoft Client Diagnostic Tool on a 64-bit client. Try the SolarWinds Diagnostic Tool for the WSUS Agent on your 64-bit systems. (It works on the 32-bit systems, too.)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:11 AM