none
Restore deleted projects in Project Online RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently evaluating moving to Project Online in Office 365.  

I've conducted some testing, and if I delete an item WITHIN a project, the item will go to the Recycle Bin.  

However, if I delete an entire project within Project Center and select 'Delete the connected SharePoint sites', the project does not go in to the Recycle Bin.

Is it possible to restore deleted projects within Project Online / Office 365?

Thanks

Mark

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mark,

The administrative backup/restore feature is not available for Project Onlie.

Please refer to this link (article from Brian).

See also this TechNet article with a feature comparison between Project Online and on premises.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:21 PM
  • Thanks Guillaume, this is very helpful.  I've read elsewhere that a manual backup of the mpp file is required, so I guess we'll have to go with that solution.

It is interesting on the TechNet article for the Zero server footprint notes, it mentions No internal IT involved in backup/recovery, but then states backup/restore is also not available for Project Online ;)

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:29 PM
  • Mark:

You might also want to look at FluentPro toolset.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, July 11, 2014 12:55 PM
  • I found this thread in my search for advice on back-up and restore options for Project Online - I suspect that saving as .mpp files will not be that popular with users as it seems to be introducing a 20th century solution to a 21st century problem. The fluent-pro solution will probably address most users requirements but why should it take a 3rd party vendor to provide a solution that was available in the on-premise Project Server solution?

My big question is what happens at the moment if a customer using Project Online suffers some kind of catastrophic corruption of data in their plans - from what I can see there is no obvious or immediate way of gaining support to resolve the problem as there would be with an on-premise solution.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Monday, November 28, 2016 9:50 AM
  • Hi Dominic,

Indeed this backup feature is really missing for Project Online. Having a local copy is not an acceptable solution and 3rd-party tools can be expensive.

That being said, in the Microsoft roadmap from last year (oct 2015), a versioning feature was in Microsoft backlog, included in the webapp schedule engine. We don't have any news from MS for this feature, but I do hope that it is still in the roadmap.

Note also that MS propose a daily backup and that the customers can create a support request to ask for a restore. Project Online back up follows SharePoint Online backup: "Data protection services are provided to prevent the loss of SharePoint Online data. Backups are performed every 12 hours and retained for 14 days. This describes the data backup services as offered when SharePoint Online is generally available."

Reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sharepoint-online-service-description.aspx

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, November 28, 2016 10:10 AM
  • Guillaume - as always thanks for your swift and informative response. I hope that the roadmap results in the Backup and Restore options being reinstated as I personally feel this is a major omission that needs to be remedied ASAP.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Monday, November 28, 2016 10:53 AM