none
Odd DNS issue RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering if anyone has seen something like this before as i'm a little perplexed.

I have a member 2008 R2 sp1 application server, it's in a remote office by itself, connected to the rest of the AD infrastructure over an L2L.  The main office has a single domain controller/DNS server/File server.  So aside from the fact this is a single DC environment which is never recommended, everything is set up to spec. 

Member server has a primary DNS server statically set to the domain contoller/DNS server in HQ.  Understood if the tunnel goes down, this setup breaks.

Ok, if i remain logged into that server in the remote office there's never an issue.  And DNS works.  

If I log off, there are automated scripts that run that error out about name resolution errors.  But the key for me it's not just these apps.  I'll start seeing the following in the group policy log:

Group Policy failed to discover the Domain Controller details in 11997 milliseconds.

Error: Failed to register for connectivity notification. Error code 0x4CE.

Periodic policy processing failed for computer LTS\APP01$ in 0 seconds.

Log back in through RDP, even leaving the session disconnected for days, errors cease.  Log out and they reappear.

any thoughts?

Friday, August 19, 2016 6:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Willster,

>> If I log off, there are automated scripts that run that error out about name resolution errors.  But the key for me it's not just these apps.

Which the operation system that your client has installed?

Please follow the link below to troubleshoot the problem and fix it:

Restrictions for Unauthenticated RPC Clients: The group policy that punches your domain in the face

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2011/04/08/restrictions-for-unauthenticated-rpc-clients-the-group-policy-that-punches-your-domain-in-the-face/

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo HanModerator Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:09 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 7:32 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

John

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by John Lii Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:20 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:19 AM