none
How Can You DISABLE File Sharing "links" in Teams Chats?? RRS feed

• Question

• My company wants to deploy Teams to replace Skype, but needs to disable file sharing via link (irrespective of source location) to meet the company’s legal and regulatory requirements around recordkeeping, legal hold and ediscovery.  Today, those requirements mandate that the underlying document shared via link (as a “modern attachment”) follow the communication and that the “parent-child” relationship remain intact.  For example, to meet recordkeeping requirements for communications, messages and attachments must be maintained for X years (the same version of the document sent at the time of transmission, unaltered); to meet legal hold requirements, attachments to messages subject to legal hold must be also be preserved; to meet ediscovery requirements, messages subject to a collection request should be included in the request if available (although if the communications were also subject to legal hold, then the attachment should also be preserved). 

I’m aware that Microsoft is supposedly issuing a fix in June 2020 that will allow an Enterprise to “force attachments”, thereby disabling the link.  But, in the meantime, I’m wondering if anyone is aware of an add-on product that would prevent file sharing and, in effect, break the link.  I know this is the antithesis of collaboration, but we just need to roll-out Teams and need a temporary solution until the broader solution is rolled-out in June by Microsoft.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Christopher Johnathan,

Microsoft Teams leverages SharePoint Online and OneDrive for file sharing experience.

Each team in Microsoft Teams has a team site in SharePoint Online. Permissions and file security options set in SharePoint are automatically reflected within Teams.

Private chat files are stored in the sender’s OneDrive for Business folder, and permissions are automatically granted to all participants as part of the file sharing process.

So, I suppose that you can adjust the SharePoint Online and OneDrive settings to disable the file sharing in Microsoft Teams.

In the SharePoint Web app, you can try to do the following steps:

1.Click on the gear and select "Site Settings"

2.Click on "Site Permissions" under "User and Permissions"

3.In the ribbon, click "Access Request Settings"

4.Uncheck "Allow members to share the site and individual files and folders."

5.Uncheck "Allow access requests."

In the SharePoint Online admin center, you can try to do the following settings:

1.Click "Sharing"

2.Select "Don’t allow sharing outside your organization"

For more details, please refer to the document as below:

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/208090/how-do-i-disable-get-a-link-share

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 5:49 AM
  • Thank you Sharon.  We understand that File Sharing can be disabled for any (or all) Teams sites via the SharePoint Online Administration Console,  but the objective we are trying to achieve is to use Teams for collaboration, as it’s designed, but disable the ability to share links to ‘modern attachments’ inside a post or chat message.  

For example,  If the chat message was searched in eDiscovery (or Content Search) and subsequently exported, it would not contain the attachment (or family) on that message,  which is not defensible and would be omitting key evidence from the collection (e.g. the ‘hot doc’).”  

Microsoft plans to fix this in June CY2020,  but in the interim, we’d just like to disable linking in chats.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:11 PM
  • Hi Christopher Johnathan,

In my research, it seems no good method to disable the file sharing link.

We highly recommend you vote in the Microsoft Teams UserVoice(The link is: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/33708118-disable-file-share). Many people vote this. Your kindly feedback will improve user experience with our products.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:07 AM