none
IE7 and opening .docx files from a direct link RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Hoping I can find some answers. I belong to the desktop support team for a hospital and some pc's are having issues with opening .docx files from IE7.

I have been told we need to continue using IE7 for the moment as we have some programs/apps that are web-based and require IE7.

Anyways, we use CA servicedesk manager which is totally web-based and users are able to upload screen-shots or other documents directly to a job ticket. What happens is if we try to open a .docx file by clicking on the link it opens a new dialog box which says:

"File Download
    Do you want to open or save this file
    Type: Compressed (zipped) Folder"

So instead of launching Office 2007 to open the file we are prompted with this box. So we need to click the save option then open the file from the desktop.

I should note that only some users are experiencing this problem. Myself on my own PC I do not have an issue with opening the said docx files, but my team member has this issue along with others.

We are running Windows XP SP3 (with all available windows updates completed), with Office 2007 standard or professional. We have tried a re-image to our SOE (same model PC's as well so no difference there). It also happens if you try to open a docx file from within a link on the web as well.

I was wondering if there is some sort of patch that we can use to rectify the problem. I did try IE8 on my workmate's PC but this did not help.

Thanks,
    Matt

• Edited by Matt 83 Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:06 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:03 AM

Answers