Outlook 2016 randomly giving users an error about metered connection RRS feed

• Question

• These are enterprise non-persistent vdi machines with windows 10 and office 2016 standard.  Randomly, users are realizing that their email is sitting in their outbox.  They click on file and it gives an error that says it's on a metered connection and an upgrade is in progress.  These machines are fully patched and up to date.  The user can close Outlook and reopen, and it works fine.  I cannot find any errors anywhere. I changed the registry settings for the metered connection, but there is not way they are using a 3g connection.  I set them all to non-metered anyway, but of course that didn't make a difference.  I submitted a case to Microsoft almost a month ago, and still have not heard anything back from them.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2020 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Tiffrog,

Is this a problem that has only recently occurred? If so, what specific operations did you do before this problem occurred?

>> Users are realizing that their email is sitting in their outbox. They click on file and it gives an error that says it's on a metered connection and an upgrade is in progress.

As I know, the issue mentioned above may be related to your Outlook version. Please check your Outlook version via File > Office Account > About Outlook and make sure it is at version 1611 (Build 7571.2072) or a newer version.

If you cannot install the update, it is suggested for you to try the workaround below:

1. Exit Outlook and open the Registry Editor
    2. Navigate to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Components\F1291BD604B860441AB89E60BDEE0F9C
    3. Right click and select “Permissions”
    4. Find your own user name or a group that you're a member of. (If you're unsure about which groups your user account is a member of, you could check it via Control Panel>User Accounts>User Accounts>Manage User Accounts>find your User Name, and review the groups.)
    5. View the permissions for your user or group, and make sure that the Read permission has Allow selected
    6. Click OK and exit Registry Editor
    7. Restart Outlook and see if there is any difference.

(Note: Serious problems can occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before making changes, back up the registry to restore it in case something goes wrong.)

If the problem still continues, please try to repair your Office and see if it works.

For more information about this issue, please check this article Can't send or receive email in Outlook and "Metered Connection Warning" is triggered.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 5:33 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got your issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you.

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 24, 2020 9:40 AM
  • As stated in my original post, I have already done all of that.  We are fully patched.  I changed all the registry settings to not metered, and no difference.  I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled, and run a repair.  If I knew what changed before it started, I'd go back and fix it.  I have nothing to pin point.  I can't find any documentation on why or how the machine would even consider it was a metered connection.  
    Friday, April 24, 2020 1:31 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

>> I have already done all of that.  We are fully patched.  I changed all the registry settings to not metered, and no difference.  I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled, and run a repair.

I researched a lot about the randomly issue you encountered but failed to find more useful information about this. To conduct further research on your issue, it is suggested for you to try creating a new windows profile to test so that we could eliminate the impact of various windows settings and see if there is any difference.

Besides, does this randomly issue only occur to your vdi machines? Can this issue be reproduced on your local machines?

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 9:40 AM
  • It happens to everyone.  It is not profile related.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2020 3:13 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

I really researched a lot about your issue but I'm sorry that I have not found other useful information about your issue so far. Please try to wait for the future update of Outlook and see if the problem can be resolved.  

Besides, if there is any other workaround about this issue I found, I will post here.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Thursday, April 30, 2020 9:34 AM