COM Ports Missing in Device Manager RRS feed

• Question

• The problem surfaced when modem stopped working, "No Dial Tone". After looking at this laptop I seen none of the COM Ports were listed in Device Manager. This an Acer Travelmate 5100 notebook running Windows XP. The BIOS on this laptop is very basic and does not show COM ports nor IRQ's. I had tried to uninstall (also tried in Safe Mode) and reinstalled the modem with still no COM Ports shown in Device Manager. Suggestions?

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

These forums are focused on supporting the Vista operating system. Here is a link to the support groups where the Windows XP experts answer questions.

Discussions in XP General Discussion:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&cat=en_US_91a15a1e-b269-4291-b6b4-dc2d504ce9ef&lang=en&cr=US

Thanks for understanding.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Can you tell me what the answer would be if it were on Vista?

I have two Vista x64 machine in which device manager does not list the ports section at all.

Specifically, I am trying to sync via bluetooth emulating a com port. This was working fine until a Vista update, or other update took place. I'm at a loss to explain this.

Please help.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:20 PM
  • How about an answer?

How do I get Vista x64 show comm ports in device manager?

Friday, November 21, 2008 10:10 PM