none
Outlook 2016 Account Settings no longer shows me POP advanced settings RRS feed

• Question

• After build 1807 was installed I no longer have access to POP advanced settings. If I open accounts, select an address and select Change, I see a much simpler screen that does not have the server fields or More Settings fields.

Prior to Build 1807:

After Build 1807:

Clicking Next just finishes the dialog, is nothing there either (unless I am overlooking something!)

I did some experimenting with VMs and pinned down that it was Build 1807 that did this. Questions:

1) If I have to change mail providers how do I alter the mail server info ? Is there any way to gain access to those fields again in Build 1807 ?

2) If not, how do I uninstall Build 1807 ? Poked around in Programs and Features, updates and did not see Office anywhere

Thanks!

Friday, August 3, 2018 6:12 PM

All replies

• I had the exact same thing happen.  One night the advanced settings were there.  The next day they were not.

I ended up restoring my boot disk from a system image and then going into my Office account settings and turning off automatic updates.

Of course, this only works if you have a system image from before the new build.

Needless to say I found this whole process very maddening, and am quite upset that I must now apparently choose between security updates and functionality.  I specifically paid for a copy of Office 2016 so I wouldn't have to deal with BS like this.

I really do not like the direction Microsoft has been moving in in recent years, and this situation is very indicative of why so many people are becoming angry with them and moving over to Linux.

Anyway, best of luck, and I'll be watching this thread to see how Microsoft ends up responding.

Friday, August 3, 2018 9:37 PM
  • Hey thanks for responding.

"Of course, this only works if you have a system image from before the new build."

I do but putting that off for a bit, what a pain.

" and moving over to Linux."

Bingo!  I have been building Linux skills over the last year and that is the leading reason!

Saturday, August 4, 2018 11:22 AM
  • I found that the repair function will expose the full settings screen if the server addresses don't resolve, which would be the case if you moved to another provider, in which case the prior server address would not work thus triggering the proper settings screen.

This would be so much easier if they just let me have access to it in the first place.

Now off to see if there is a third party utility that will just bulk change all of these for me...
    • Edited by ScottHW Sunday, August 5, 2018 11:50 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Kamran Rasheed Friday, November 9, 2018 9:22 AM
    Saturday, August 4, 2018 12:25 PM
  • Hi Scott,

You can close Outlook, go to Control Panel > Mail, click Email Accounts... button, click to select your POP account and click Change... button, this should show the advanced settings you want.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, August 6, 2018 1:52 AM
  • Does not work for me.  If I choose an account and click Change, it presents me with the Add New Account dialog.

I thought I must be clicking the wrong button so did it several times, same thing.  No change dialog seems to be available from there.  Could it be this screen was also munged by the same update ?

• Edited by ScottHW Monday, August 6, 2018 11:03 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2018 11:02 AM
  • Also, as I indicated earlier, you can expose  all the server parameters by using the Repair option.
    Monday, August 6, 2018 8:51 PM
  • Does not work for me.  If I choose an account and click Change, it presents me with the Add New Account dialog.

I thought I must be clicking the wrong button so did it several times, same thing.  No change dialog seems to be available from there.  Could it be this screen was also munged by the same update ?

Thank you for the update. This shouldn't be the case. I'm using the 1807 build and I got the advanced settings dialog when clicking Change button:

How about double-clicking your POP account in the email account list instead of clicking Change button?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 9:24 AM
  • Double clicking the account does the same, I get the Add New Account dialog.  Obviously something is seriously messed up here.   Any ideas ?

By the way, not sure if I specified the OS - Win 7 x64.  Are you running the same ?  (maybe the screen shots give it away)

• Edited by ScottHW Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:35 AM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:33 AM
  • Same here to everything Scott has said so far.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:02 AM
  • Can you tell me why you are providing anything besides security updates to a 2+ year-old product?

If we wanted Microsoft to continually change the functionality of the software we use every time they felt like it we would have subscribed to Office 365.

Not that I'm blaming you, Steve, but you must understand how this can be very frustrating to advanced computer users who are used to maintaining a certain level of control over their computing environment.

In an office or work setting problems like this can really throw a wrench into daily operations.

And it just seems like Microsoft has no concept of this whatsoever, or else just plain doesn't care anymore.

Anyway, thank you for trying to help us.

• Edited by Bryan Deno Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:16 AM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:14 AM
  • Thank you for the update, Scott. I'm using Windows 10. Are you using an Office 365 subscription? May I know the specific version number of Outlook 2016 you are using?

@Bryan, thank you for the feedback. I fully understand your concerns. May I also know the specific version number of your Outlook program so that we can try to build a testing environment for further investigation? Till now, we haven't received other reports on such an issue.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Friday, August 10, 2018 9:02 AM
  • It is tied to my Windows account (the blurred out address is my hotmail account), but its a local stand alone installation - does that make it an Office 365 product?

I turned off updates while I sort this out.  I have two similar machines running this product, they both show the same symptoms.

• Edited by ScottHW Friday, August 10, 2018 11:29 AM
    Friday, August 10, 2018 11:23 AM
  • Scott, Office 365 is their subscription version of Office.  It's sort of like leasing a car.  As long as you keep paying the lease they provide software updates so that you always have the latest version.  As soon as you quit paying though, the software is no longer yours to run.

Steve, my version number is 1806 (Build 10228.20134).  As I said I am also running Windows 7 64-bit.

This was the last working version I had before the advanced account settings disappeared on me.

Fortunately I had a system image backup or else I would be a lot madder at you guys right now than I am.   :-)

Saturday, August 11, 2018 1:13 AM
  • Got it, thanks.  So I am just using my Windows account to track my licenses, not control my usage.

This certainly smells like a defect, hopefully something will come of this thread.

Sunday, August 12, 2018 12:26 PM
  • Oh, something will...

;-)

Sunday, August 12, 2018 1:05 PM
  • Steve,

Have you guys looked into how the actual popup box is being rendered/displayed?

When I was researching this problem I saw that this had been an issue in the past.

Specifically, the toggle for the advanced options was actually there, but you just couldn't see it because of the way the box was being rendered and fitted to the screen.

I was just thinking if that happened before maybe it could be happening again.

Anyway, it might be something to check into.

Bryan

Monday, August 13, 2018 4:45 PM
  • So...ah...

How's it going, Scott?

Hear any good jokes lately?

Friday, August 17, 2018 1:11 PM
  • Sure, can't remember the opener but the punchline was something about crickets... on the Microsoft forum.
    Sunday, August 19, 2018 12:15 PM
  • BA DUM tssshhh!!!
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 1:48 AM
  • Hi Scott and Bryan,

Sorry it take so long to post back. We still haven't received any other report on such an issue in our forum. However, I found that I could partially reproduce this issue in my environment after adding the DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation registry key, which is used to disable the Simplified Account Creation dialog box in Outlook 2016.

After adding the key, when clicking Change button in Outlook Account Settings, the Add New Account wizard appears. I said 'partially' because it still works properly when I click Change button via Control Panel > Mail > Email Accounts... May I know whether you have this registry key added  in your registry?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:38 AM
  • I am also experiencing the problem described in this thread. I have Windows 7 Pro with Office 365. I have update 1807 installed. However, the route of using Control Panel to access the Advanced Settings dialog box does work for me. I never had this problem until recently and became very suspicious that it was a bug introduced by a recent Office 365 update. I went searching and found this problem report.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:25 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I am not seeing that particular registry key, at least not in either of the locations described in your link.

• Edited by Bryan Deno Thursday, August 23, 2018 12:08 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 12:08 AM
  • Welcome to the party, Simon!

It seems your timing is impeccable.

Thursday, August 23, 2018 12:08 AM
  • I do not have that key either.  I just changed all 45 of my email accounts by using the Repair option.
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 1:51 PM
  • And you thought using the image-restore would be a pain!   :-)

• Edited by Bryan Deno Thursday, August 23, 2018 3:08 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 3:06 PM
  • [Channeling Chandler Bing] OMG this is getting even weirder.  Earlier I reported that email account editing was acting the same way through the Control Panel... well now its working the way it should, BUT, through Control Panel the settings do reflect what I changed them to going through Outlook, Accounts.

HOWEVER, when going back through Outlook, Accounts the new settings are NOT there, it shows the old settings.  This specifies the prior Nameserver which should NOT be working since I changed it to point to my new provider.

Also the only way I can get Outlook to have a successful Send/Receive cycle is to restart OL, otherwise I start getting random:

Task 'emailaddress@mydomain.com - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) email server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

where the address varies.  Sometimes 1 or 2, other times 8 - 10.  Different ones each time, and after it does this it will not start another Send/Receive cycle, it just hangs where it left off.

So....

1. Reinstall Office

2. Switch to some other email client

3. Run screaming into the hills tearing my hair out and ripping my clothes off

?

("They're coming to take me away, ha ha, ho ho, hee hee, ha ha")

• Edited by ScottHW Monday, August 27, 2018 2:28 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2018 2:26 PM
  • Not to keep kicking a dead horse, but if you still have that old disc image...

At least that's what has kept me in business this whole time.

(Just don't forget to go into your Office account settings and turn off updates afterward.)

Monday, August 27, 2018 3:13 PM
  • Right, mulling that over.... I installed/tweaked a number of unrelated other software since then so would have to redo all of that too.

Can anyone tell me when 1807 was released, so I can be sure to restore prior to that ?  Since I had auto updates turned on I am not real sure when it tainted my environment

Monday, August 27, 2018 3:43 PM
  • I found this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/monthly-channel-2018#version-1806-july-17

So July 25 in my case

• Edited by ScottHW Wednesday, August 29, 2018 11:28 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2018 7:16 PM
  • I know it happened mere days before I first posted here, which was August 3rd, so I am guessing your July 25th backup should do the trick.

I would maybe create another backup of your current configuration first just in case it doesn't work for some reason.  Just be sure not to accidentally erase that July 25th backup while you're doing it.

I know it sucks to have to redo everything you have done since then, but at least you will be rid of this particular problem until (hopefully) Steve & his associates manage to figure something out.

Though I will add that it appears all of us having this problem so far seem to be using Windows 7, so I'm not sure where he thinks he's going to get by doing all his testing on a Windows 10 system.

But what do I know??

• Edited by Bryan Deno Monday, August 27, 2018 9:09 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2018 9:07 PM
  • Also, I believe you should be able to copy your Outlook .pst files found in your My Documents\Outlook Files folder before doing the system image restore and then drop them back in afterwards so that way you don't lose all your email archives for the past month.
    Monday, August 27, 2018 9:27 PM
  • I actually have OL backups using Outback (http://ajsystems.com/outbackplus/obp.html), I can use that as well.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 5:28 PM
  • After considering all the unrelated changes I have made to my system since all this started I looked for a different solution and found it here:

Uninstall Office 365 Click-To-Run Updates

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/784

which for me meant:

cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.10228.20134

Bingo!  Back in business, with updates turned off

• Proposed as answer by Windows_Wizard Wednesday, August 29, 2018 2:52 PM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:51 PM
  • Nice find, compadre!

Steve, if you're still there can you explain to us why we are getting Office 365 updates in the first place when we are both running Office 2016 and never opted-in for the subscription model?

Because to me this seems like the heart of the problem right there.

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 2:56 PM
  • Really useful answer, many thanks.
    Friday, August 31, 2018 7:55 PM
  • I have no "Mail" or "email" option in my Windows 10 control panel
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:50 AM
  • I have the exact same problem.

I am running Windows10 with an Office 365 subscription.

On my Laptop I have Windows 7 with the same Office 365 subscription (and same problem)

I cannot get access to change any POP account setting. My situation is exactly the same as Scott's screenshots.

My Version is 1807 (Build 10325.20118 Microsoft Store)

and under Windows 10 I cannot find an option to access any email settings via Control Panel.

• Edited by JanetP99 Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:59 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:56 AM
  • I have the problem on both Windows 10 and Windows 7. Same Office 365 subscription.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 4:03 AM
  • So this has been happening on several new Microsoft Surface laptops here as well

There is no pop-up from Outlook build 1807 to insert missing information.

On an new Microsoft Surface Book 2 with Windows 10 I could still enter the correct "advanced" IMAP data through the Mail applet in Control Panel.

However, the newest Surface Laptop we received (Windows 10 Mode-S) did not even have this applet (I believe it is called mlcfg32.cpl. There is also no \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office directory on this laptop as Office came pre-installed by Windows Store app (probably because of the Mode-S settings). This is a big problem, because our mail-provider uses a username to access the mailserver that differs from the email address. Outlook 1807 takes the email address as default for the username. But without a pop-up, we are unable to correct this so there is no way to install the mail account on this Windows installation!

Now the funny part: On this same laptop I was able to enter an extra email address in the Mail/Login section of Windows Settings. Now however I do get a pop-up to enter a seperate username! So the free and modest Windows Mail is working while our expensive and bloated Outlook is not. What were they thinking...

• Edited by MaSansky Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:42 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:40 PM
  • Amazing, thank you. This had be stumped. Can't believe MS crippled the Edit Account functionality in Outlook directly.
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:40 AM
  • I have this same problem with OL 2016 version 1807 (build 10325.20118). Going via the control panel to the mail settings worked for me (thanks Steve Fan) but if I get to the same mail applet from within Outlook it doesn't work.

In other words:

Control panel > Mail > Email Accounts works fine. I can change server settings on existing accounts.

but...

[from within Outlook] File | Info | Account settings > Manage Profiles | Email Accounts doesn't work. In fact, when I double-click on the account I want to change, I get the simplified form (i.e. cannot set server properties) and it's for a new account, not for making changes to the account I double-clicked on.

This is really messed up!

Thursday, September 6, 2018 5:27 PM
  • Well, I can state that multiple systems have this issue, in various stages! I trouble-shoot small / home businesses, and while I was onsite with a client, needed to check email settings to replicate to scanner (scan-to-email). I did not check their version at the time, but both in Outlook and Control Panel, the Change and Repair options were only bringing up either the new change screen (awful), or the NEW wizard (which I thoroughly hate). Sad to say, about an extra 15 minutes onsite to get those details another way...

On my own system right now (Win10, Office365, Outlook v 1807, build 10.325.20118 Click-to-Run) in the Control panel email account settings it does not matter whether I click on change OR repair, they both bring up the NEW wizard (did I mention - which I thoroughly hate). 

At least from within Outlook, it will now bring up the new Change screen when I click on change, and the repair will bring up the Repair screen where you can go into advanced options. I can guarantee this was not the case yesterday, either on my own system or the clients.

And they wonder why people dislike them so much now - Outlook is the ONLY program keeping them in the small business / home space - I am so sad and disappointed with them, I actively encourage moving away from their products.

Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:23 PM
  • I have the same Problems. Looks like a serious bug in the new Outlook Version. Repair and Change Buttons bring up the Add Account Dialog...

Please Microsoft, get back the old account settings dialog - at least over an advanced button. The simplefied Dialogs are just horrible!!!!

Friday, September 7, 2018 8:23 PM
  • I just installed Office 365 Build 1808 on my Windows 7 system and the Outlook account settings problem is still happening.
    Saturday, September 8, 2018 12:05 PM
  • Have exactly the same problem, selecting repair does bring up the setting, however if you attempt to amend any and then finish repair it comes up with an error. Running Windows 10/Office 2016 Pro.
    Saturday, September 8, 2018 3:01 PM
  • OK, I got this fresh from Outlook support.

"This is a new interface introduced in Outlook. 

To go to Advanced settings tab, please follow the steps below:
    1. Open Outlook.
    2. Press Ctrl, Alt and S keys simultaneously to open Account Settings window.
    3. Select your email address, click on Edit option.
    4. Click on Account Properties and go to Advanced tab and you can edit and change the account settings."

Worked for me.

• Proposed as answer by Mariner53 Saturday, September 8, 2018 4:06 PM
    Saturday, September 8, 2018 4:01 PM
  • Thanks Mariner53. Worked for me as well. Finally, a simple work-around for a stupid problem that MS never should have created to begin with. I used my ISP's SMTP at the home office, but have to switch to a (very reliable) SMTP from SMTP2Go while travelling. Note for users, you can also get to the Account Settings window through Send/Receive options on your horizontal menu. Thanks again.

Saturday, September 8, 2018 7:54 PM
  • Thanks Mariner53. Worked for me as well.
    Monday, September 10, 2018 7:05 AM
  • Thanks Mariner53. This whole thread shows that the bigger the company the bigger morons work there. And the morons just outperformed themselves.
    Monday, September 10, 2018 10:21 AM
  • Dear All,

Just returned from vacation, and I can see that the Outlook Account settings interface is useless (literally) on my desktop, and mostly useless on my laptop.

On my desktop (Office 2016 H&B, 64 bits), if I click anything (repair / change) either in Outllok or Mail applet in Control Panel, I get the same result: New Account settings! :w00t:

On my laptop (Office 2016 Pro Plus, 64 bits), if I click anything I get the new useless "simplified" interface. I repeat, USELESS!

Guys, I have 12 email accounts setup on both my computers, with various server types, with SSL certificate which need testing, with different settings for each account. And I cannot access the settings.

Moreover, I have few hundred users, on multiple servers / server types, to attend and help as IT & security support, and I cannot do that due to a huge stupidity of whoever decided that the old interface is not good anymore nor even as "optional"!

C'mon!

Anyhow, thanks Mariner53 for workaround.

For M$ guys: Mariner53's above is NOT a solution, is merely a workaround (YES, I need also to TEST the account changes I am doing).

Outlook 16.0.10325.20036, 64 bits on both computers.

Probably I will revert to pre-july 25 build, as soon as I will be able to identify it.

Microsoft, please, stop screwing our time and nerves!

Monday, September 10, 2018 10:59 AM
  • I guess this information usefull for you.

You can open profile dialog by following instractions instead of control panel icon.

1.Press [Win]+[R] (key combination)

2.Enter "outlook.exe /manageprofiles"

3.Click [OK]

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/outlook-store-app/

Monday, September 10, 2018 11:00 AM
  • plus one (see my above post, please).

Two computers, two updated Outlooks, two source of headaches!

I work in this industry for more than 20 years, but I've rarely seen so much stupidity in one single change!

Monday, September 10, 2018 11:02 AM
  • Thanks, 

The thing is sometimes Microsoft should consider users' habits. not everyone knows every "shortcut".

Monday, September 10, 2018 11:54 PM
  • Thanks Mariner53, that worked for me!!

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:05 PM
  • This solution worked for me, but it is truly boneheaded that it was moved out of the main program.
    Please send a note to the programmers that this is 1) a stupid modification that didn't need making 2) should be changed back in the next version and 3) wasted enough of my time that I may have said nasty things about their mothers.
    Friday, September 14, 2018 7:30 PM
  • I am running 1808 of Office 2016.

When I press  Ctrl+Alt+S, I get the Send/Receive Groups dialog box, not the account settings dialog box.

So I still cannot change my account settings.

I also have no Mail option on my control panel.

I did a full repair on my installation, and nothing has changed.

Actually, something did change. I now have a Mail option in my control panel, which does work correctly.

• Edited by .NET Master Sunday, September 16, 2018 12:15 PM More information
    Sunday, September 16, 2018 12:00 PM
  • Last time I looked, about a week ago, the Mail option in Control Panel would only let me set up a new account.

Now for some inexplicable reason it lists one of my mail accounts and I am able to alter the settings,however my second e-mail account does not show up at all.

What a complete cock-up they have made on this last update !

Monday, September 17, 2018 2:40 PM
  • Not sure if this helps but I was getting very frustrated not being able to find the POP IMAP settings this is where I found it:

Go to File on Outlook and click on Account Settings from the drop down select Manage Profiles, say yes to the Microsoft User Control question and the Mail Setup comes up. I did post an image but won't let me post but

Click on Email Accounts and double click on the email account da da the POP IMAP settings window comes up.

The settings all look right in there but if I use the usual path they are not the same, not sure what MS have done but it is not helpful at all?

• Proposed as answer by Alain 1969 Saturday, May 4, 2019 7:08 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2018 3:11 PM
  • same here grrrr
    Monday, September 17, 2018 3:13 PM
  • Not sure if this helps but I was getting very frustrated not being able to find the POP IMAP settings this is where I found it:

Go to File on Outlook and click on Account Settings from the drop down select Manage Profiles, say yes to the Microsoft User Control question and the Mail Setup comes up. I did post an image but won't let me post but

Click on Email Accounts and double click on the email account da da the POP IMAP settings window comes up.

The settings all look right in there but if I use the usual path they are not the same, not sure what MS have done but it is not helpful at all?

• Proposed as answer by RJKP Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:32 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2018 3:14 PM
  • Ctrl+Alt+S does bring up the Send/Receive Groups dialog.  Once you have this dialog open you need to select All Accounts and click Edit on the right.  Now you can select your account and click the Account Properties button in the upper right.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2018 2:40 PM

Microsoft still needs to fix this mess of a problem, badly!!! 

But in the mean time, this what I also (accidentally) found to be the best workaround solution too!! Via this method: 
    FILE -> ACCOUNT SETTINGS -> MANAGE PROFILE -> EMAIL ACCOUNTS -> 

...And then from there, everything LOOKS and ACTS as the real Account Settings should do anyway!!

Just click on "CHANGE", or double click on the account you want to edit the mail server setttings on, and it will look just like it used to... before the update messed with a system that was working fine!! 

This way will obviously look A LOT more familiar as a workaround instead of going through the Send/Receive method. Some screenshots to help...  

...well, when this platform allows me to upload the damn screenshots to actually help everybody!!! WTH?!?!

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 10:21 AM
  • Thanks, the settings could be changed via Control Panel, Mail, Accounts as suggested.

The problem my client had was emails would no send after update 1807 (Windows 10, Outlook 2016)

Receiving was not a problem.

The change required to allow outgoing emails was un-tick

"My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication"

& "User same settings as my incoming mail server"

Then reboot the computer

Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:24 AM
  • I had the same problem as the original poster. I wasn't even trying to change anything; I just needed to look up settings to copy to my phone email app. The Control Panel workaround worked for me. But really--what kind of design screwup made that necessary? Why did I have to google the problem in the first place?
    Monday, October 1, 2018 10:09 PM
  • The Manage Profiles workaround worked for me, but without the knowledge of folks posting on this forum, I would be completely lost.  The Help system seems to offer very little support, and half the time the suggestions are irrelevant or outdated.  Unfortunately the Control panel method of accessing email accounts does not work for me.  None of my email accounts are displayed there.  All that appears is a link to more information, which unsurprisingly is yet again irrelevant and unhelpful.  

Many thanks to Bridget of Shillingford Organics for sharing your findings.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 12:05 AM
  • Same problem here! Thanks to you guys I finally can change the POP and SMTP server but what I cannot find is how to change the path to my original .PST file.

I had reinstall my Office 2016 Pro (through the Miscrosoft account) and found myself lost in the new method of adding my mailaccounts in Outlook.

So, doing the CRTL-ALT-S trick brings me to the accountsetting and I'm able to chenge everything except the path to my .PST file.

Any help guys? Thanks!!!! 

Cheers!

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 1:36 PM
  • I'm still using my restored version from before Microsoft donked everything up, but at least on my version you go to the account settings, select the account you want to change, then click on the change folder button at the bottom.  This will bring up a box  that says "New Email Delivery Location" with a button that says "New Outlook Data File".  Click on this to select the .pst file you want to use.
    Tuesday, October 2, 2018 9:18 PM
  • I agree. Absolute crap from Microsoft update again. I should have known better to turn off all their updates for Office. Now I have angry customers to deal with. I told all of them Microsoft screwed up but now I have to fix it. Since there is no easy way to turn off all Microsoft updates in Windows 10 I corrupted the distribution software folder so updates can not be performed. I now have their more expensive "enterprise version" where updates can be turned off permanently. 
    Tuesday, October 2, 2018 11:35 PM
  • Hi Steve,

thanks for this. At our small company, I am somewhat responsible for our day to day I.T. issues and such. Most updates provided generally do not interfere with my day to day use, but as Bryan said, U.I. changes can throw a serious wrench into the works. As he also stated, entirely not your fault, but I am hoping there is a way you can let your company know that unnecessary U.I. changes like this are one of the most frustrating things imaginable. We switched providers recently and have now been stuck for a few days without Outlook because we were unable to change server settings until I finally found this comment by you.

Regards,

Michal

P.S. Even patch notes explaining such usage and U.I. changes provided as button next to the version build would have been helpful.

Monday, October 8, 2018 9:35 AM
  • For many years I was such a big fan of Microsoft Products 

Sadly - I had to move my enterprise to Zoho One 

With ZERO issues now 

Broke my heart

j-e/h 

Monday, October 8, 2018 11:35 PM
  • Doesn't work any more
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:28 PM
  • Although it seems to work, the changes don't "stick".  Restarting Office 2016 reverts to old POP settings.
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:33 PM
  • Thank you Steve,

This worked for me.

Just wondering why Microsoft changed things so that we had to go to the Control Panel. It was very frustrating not knowing what to do, and had to go trolling through Google to find your solution.

Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:10 PM
  • Here is where my net admin found it:

File/Options/Advanced/Send Receive/Edit/Account Properties

Super convenient.

Friday, October 12, 2018 3:36 PM
  • Hello all:

Reading through this thread shows that it is a significant issue with many, not just ScottHW.  And that it is a latent problem, that may go unnoticed for some time, but will then be even harder to deal with.  No wonder only a few saw it at first.  It is not something everyone uses all the time.  Thank you all for helping me to figure out how to access important information that I use regularly, if not frequently.  I use it when setting up new systems for our businesses and when helping others set up their systems and accounts.  If I and the others contributing to the thread have seen this as such a problem, how many folks are there that are also seeing it, or will see it, that have no idea how to resolve it?

My mom called tonight, and I was trying to help her, (with an older Outlook 2007), update her email account settings, which had somehow become corrupted, so that she couldn't sign in to a POP3 account anymore.  So I was looking at my Outlook 365, Version 1807 (Build 10325.20082 Click-to-Run), when I discovered I couldn't even find my settings any more - just so I could look at them!  I am running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1803, Build 17134.345, on a Dell Precision 5510.

So... I told mom I would call back later (tomorrow), after I did some "research".  I found, by trying different approaches, that in my case, I could access the full set of settings, and edit them, from the "Control Panel/Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016) (32 bit)".  OK, so now I am ready to help mom tomorrow, as soon as I refresh myself on what the user interface looked like back then.

Thanks to Google, I found this thread, and thanks to you all, I found several other ways to get to my settings, via the control panel, and the other methods described here.  They all seem to work for me, at least today.  After a reboot, or the next few updates, who knows.

I know this is mostly a users forum, but perhaps some of the problems and suggestions expressed in this  thread will get to the folks at MS responsible for Outlook, so they can correct the problems.  Steve Fan - is that too much to hope for?  The current situation described in this thread needs to be fixed.  Please, MS, provide a clean, consistent, efficient, and well documented approach to access and adjust all of the "advanced" settings that are important to those of us who use email and who set up email for others - so that the email clients and systems we set up will work reliably, even with the odd and unusual settings that are often needed.

Please MS, also listen to the support folks and the users, who end up wasting countless hours, fixing changes that are either not needed, or made without adequate review and consideration of unintended consequences.  Consequences like email that worked a few days ago failing to work now.  Changes like this, made without consideration for existing users, will eventually be resolved when the users go elsewhere.

My thanks to all the contributors to this thread,

Bob

• Proposed as answer by MrTAD Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:14 PM
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 6:48 AM
  • For sure!!!!! My next workstation will be a Dell Precision with UBUNTU....
    Friday, October 19, 2018 3:47 PM
  • I found that the repair function will expose the full settings screen if the server addresses don't resolve, which would be the case if you moved to another provider, in which case the prior server address would not work thus triggering the proper settings screen.

This would be so much easier if they just let me have access to it in the first place.

Now off to see if there is a third party utility that will just bulk change all of these for me...

We have found that changes made this way ARE DISCARDED BY OUTLOOK 365 in the current build (downloaded 10/18/2018 from MS official distribution).

Changes made this way seem to be accepted, but they are either discarded immediately on close, or the new system reruns its own automatic settings and uses the default that it finds responsive.

Unfortunately, this is inappropriate behavior for some ISPs (e.g., Network Solutions) where only basic responses are mapped to leased domains, but actual full mail services are ONLY available via other servers. 

Outlook 365 is failing. Had to roll back a customer office of 5 stations back to Outlook 2007.  Good news, of course, is that the installation of 365 did not destroy 2007, and so the old one still honors correct server settings and works. Whew!

Friday, October 19, 2018 11:26 PM
  • This (ultimately) does not work. 

You can get to the proper settings dialog, and you can alter the values in the fields, but the new values WILL NOT BE SAVED.

They are immediately replaced with the old, incorrect values from auto-discover. (It may be that, rather than restoring the old values, the wizard is re-running the auto-discover, but the effect and result are the same: the correct, manually user-inserted values are discarded and replaced with the incorrect auto-discover values.)

Saturday, October 20, 2018 1:49 PM
  • The "Advanced Options" do not include the necessary settings for servers.

This is a serious bug, Microsoft.  
    Consistent and endlessly repeatable in new installations of Office 365! (At the time of this writing: 10/20/2018)
    Saturday, October 20, 2018 1:53 PM
  • ... However, I found that I could partially reproduce this issue in my environment after adding the DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation registry key, which is used to disable the Simplified Account Creation dialog box in Outlook 2016...

Where does this need to go in the Registry?
    Will try it.
    Saturday, October 20, 2018 2:00 PM
  • Advanced account settings do work if going through the Send/Receive Groups->[Select account]->Account Properties to change Existing account.

However, it's impossible to create a New account with advanced settings. I, for instance, need to use an account login, which is different from my email address and the new view doesn't allow me to specify this. What a bummer!!!

Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:43 AM
  • Thank you Mariner53 for helping out with this workaround where Microsoft still did not fix the issue. 
    Sunday, October 28, 2018 9:32 PM
  • Thank you! SO relieved!!!
    • Proposed as answer by Nick417 Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:10 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2018 6:40 PM
    • Very important that when you choose 'Control Panel' on Windows 10 you use the OLD Control Panel app, otherwise you end up with 'Settings'  Then selecting mail (in the search window of control panel)  will bring up the proper Mail (Outlook 2016) (32 bit) or so!  There you can select the email account to modify and set the additional parameters you desire!

Cannot fathom what idiot decided to make this so complicated.  It was 'perfect' before, easy to get and did not have to hire Sherlock Homes to find it!

Morons! If it is not broken don't change it!

Thursday, November 8, 2018 9:23 PM
  • Thanks a lot, it worked fine for me.
    I cannot understand that:
       1. Microsoft replaced the former email account configuration dialog with that limited configuration dialog for dummy's, to the expense of their traditional users (a majority, who have learnt for years to configure email accounts in Outlook);
       2. Microsoft does not provide a direct access to that (former) advanced email account configuration dialog from Outlook — e.g. through an "Advanced Account Settings" option;
       3. Microsoft does not understand some users need to have both an IMAP and POP3 access to their email account, to be able, for instance to take advantage of both the IMAP features (a centralized place in real time for emails sent/received from/into any device or computer) and the POP3 features (mainly the ability to download one's emails locally in a PST account, because of the volatility of emails on IMAP servers — only one device inadvertently poorly configured, even if your 3, 6 or 10 other devices are well configured, is enough to definitively erase your old emails in the IMAP server)

• Edited by Text2Texte Saturday, November 10, 2018 11:53 AM better reflecting my thought
    Saturday, November 10, 2018 11:52 AM
  • Just checking back on this thread and I see that Microsoft still apparently hasn't gotten the memo.

It seems to me that more and more they are just trying to be like Apple, attempting to dumb everything down for less-experienced computer users.  The problems is they haven't put in the time or effort to make all their systems work efficiently together the way Apple's does (or at least used to).  They also seem to want to move everything to a subscription service so they can start nickel and diming everyone to death.

Mostly though, I think they have just lost their way and gotten way too big to even care anymore.

Monday, November 12, 2018 2:05 AM
  • I have encountered the same problem, only today. I use Windows 10 and  Outlook 2016 and I use IMAP/SMTP settings for my email accounts. I have just changed my internet provider and have found that I can receive emails but not send. I am now unable to check or change my settings. I have two lap tops and one desktop. One laptop and the desk top are working fine, however one lap top isn't. That is the one with all the current up dates, the other two which are working fine do not have the latest Microsoft updates. Just more proof that there is a problem with the latest update and Microsoft are still in denial. I note that this matter was raised in August some 3 months ago and Microsoft have not seen fit to rectify the problem. Also Steve Fan from Microsoft has been silent since 22 August 2018, that speaks volumes. For many a computer has become a tool of trade and therefore reliability is paramount. This begs the question why did Microsoft not undertake proper system testing  before releasing the update? 
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 7:01 AM
  • Bridget, I'm a user of computers but when it comes to matters technical, I, like most users am a Luddite. Thank you for your information which I followed and it solved my problem and I am up and running again. It begs the question, if you were able to get around the problem why could not Microsoft? 14 November 2018
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 10:16 PM
  • I have this problem too - how can anyone at MS think this is an improvement ? They have reached into my machine and broken it
    Monday, November 19, 2018 4:12 PM
  • Sorry they won't let me insert links so you'll have to copy and paste.

But they're apparently still at it.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/11/20/1141253/microsoft-pulls-some-non-security-updates-for-microsoft-office-2010-2013-and-2016-that-it-released-earlier-this-month

• Edited by Bryan Deno Tuesday, November 20, 2018 1:22 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 1:21 PM
  • You click on File, Account Setting, Manage Profile, Email Accounts, then double click your account.  From here it lets you access Advanced Settings to change servers, SSL encryption, etc.
    • Edited by KerryAnn375 Wednesday, November 21, 2018 5:27 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2018 5:26 PM
  • After struggling for two hours trying to figure out how to view my port setting in outlook I discover this thread and learn it's not just me.  I need to set up email accounts on two new computers.  I've learned it's a total pain trying to deal with Outlook.  Windows Live and Thunderbird were simple to use!!  Could set up the entire thing in under ten minutes!!  I'm going to install Thunderbird and be done with this entire mess!!
    Saturday, November 24, 2018 10:18 PM
  • Windows 10 has caused our build time to go from 3 hours to 12 and it is unstable, requires much $$$ in sys admin time to fix your numerous errors. It is garbage, and we have evicted it form our corporate domain. Go play with your little xbox and candycrush kids, we dont run a corporation on baby ipads and windows phones. Enjoy your long slow demise with your garbage. you owe me thousands in wasted time as an admin.

Garbage. Bye, going back to my far superior linux server

Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:14 PM
  • also, there is no Mail in COntrol Panel. Thanks for wasting even more of my time.
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:18 PM
  • doesnt work., says cant repair when changing to correct port. garbage.
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:19 PM
  • We want a refund. Your product Office 2016 does not work. You mislead with false info, and it doesnt repair the issues.
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:20 PM
  • For what it is worth, the instructions on the page linked by Steve fixed the problem.  I think it is very STUPID that Microsoft would make a change like this.  I shouldn't have to dig through the web for an hour, read several forums, and have to manually add a registry key to fix something that should not have been mucked up to start with!

Go to this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/3189194/how-to-disable-simplified-account-creation-in-outlook

I will copy paste the pertinent instructions again in this message.

In my case the correct registry area was the first listed.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\setup

Be sure to follow the instructions exactly.  You must close and restart Outlook.

1. Exit Outlook.
    2. Start Registry Editor. To do this, use one of the following procedures, as appropriate for your version of Windows.

• Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 8: Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog box. Type regedit.exe, and then click OK.
      • Windows 7: Click Start, type regedit.exe in the search box, and then press Enter.
    3. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the user settings subkey in the registry:

or the group policy subkey in the registry:
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\setup
    4. Point to New on the Edit menu and then DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    5. Type DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation, and then press Enter.
    6. Right-click DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation, and then select Modify.
    7. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    8. On the File menu, select Exit to exit Registry Editor.

• Proposed as answer by Simon65536 Wednesday, December 12, 2018 1:07 PM
    Saturday, December 1, 2018 11:54 PM
  • Wow what a mess and still no response from Microsoft! In my case I had just installed Office 2019 on a new laptop and found the same problems accessing account details in Outlook 2019. Thanks to this thread I have now been able to do that by a variety of different methods but it still does not explain why it cannot be done from the regular Account Settings dialogue.

The registry hack is clearly the best option and I can confirm that the same procedure and DWORD does work with Office 2019. Thanks to everyone on here that came up with solutions. Hasn't Microsoft heard of the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Thursday, December 20, 2018 1:57 PM
  • And why in the fuck would Microsoft do stupid shit like this?  Revert this behavior or get sued motherfuckers.  The hardware and the fucking SOFTWARE once purchased is MINE.  Not Yours.  You may not make changes that disable user interface functionality that make the product useful AFTER its purchased.  That is called Trespass to Chattel.  You will want to fix this ASAP or you WILL get your ass in a big fucking bind.
    Sunday, December 23, 2018 1:28 PM
  • I had to go to repair - and yep - took me 20 minutes to figure out this - IT ALREADY WORKED who would make this change  - geeesh.
    Sunday, December 23, 2018 2:08 PM
  • The solution is to actually disable the"simplified account creation" feature. In other words, don't just look for the registry setting, change it if it exists, or add it if doesn't.

Type REGEDIT in the Start menu, click on the Registry Editor icon, and navigate to

If you see DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation change its value to 1. If you don't see it, right click in the right pane, NEW > DWORD (32 bit), name it DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation and set its value to 1.

Restart Outlook.

OR, if you prefer not to make permanent changes, use the workaround CTRL-ALT-S > Edit > select the account and click Account properties.

• Proposed as answer by Pawnsquared Thursday, January 3, 2019 8:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Pawnsquared Thursday, January 3, 2019 8:21 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Rickard-505 Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:56 AM
    Thursday, December 27, 2018 5:13 AM
  • Account Setting, Repair, Advanced, tick manually and OK.  Bob's your uncle!  Took me hours to find this.
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 8:22 AM
  • OR, if you prefer not to make permanent changes, use the workaround CTRL-ALT-S > Edit > select the account and click Account properties.

This works Fine!
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 12:18 PM
  • Account Setting, Repair, Advanced, tick manually and OK.  Bob's your uncle!  Took me hours to find this.
    This works fine, too!
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 12:20 PM
  • Really really dumb of MS to create this problem and not accept any responsibility for sorting it out in all this time.

It's now taken me a couple of hours just reading about the issue let alone go as far as bothering to go any further with my contemplated switch to Outlook on a new Win 10 Surface Pro 5 after many happy years with Thunderbird on Win7 and 10.

The limitations of using Outlook are just too much to realistically contemplate - for starters, not being able to see the actual email addresses from/to in the main window (rather than address book entry). I thought that was going to be my first problem, but not being able to find the god-damned server config and setup for IMAP just crushes any idea of using my Office 365 subscription to handle my email life.

Yet another example of dumbing down to suit beginners rather than advanced users.

I give up. Goodbye Outlook - oh, and I still hate "ribbon" interfaces even though I believe in GUIs and visual interaction.

Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:33 PM
  • Thanks Steve - that fixed my problem.  I was trying to set up a new email account in Outlook 2019 - our in-house server doesn't use the full email address for the username,  just the first part.  Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom,  decided this doesn't comply with their 'dumb everything down' worldview so insist that the email account username MUST be the full email address.  The 'Repair' option in Outlook works fine if you want to change an existing mail account but, in my case, I couldn't set up a new account without a valid username. 

I don't normally use the Control Panel applet for setting up new email addresses but, thank God,  the bozos at Microsoft have left that one alone - for now.  So I was able to access all the settings I needed to set up the account successfully.  

I'm totally in agreement with a previous poster who expressed dismay at the way Microsoft are heading - attempting to oversimplify stuff and hiding familiar operations under layers of playschool bloatware introduces more problems than it solves.  Maybe it's time to diverge product lines again and save the Fisher-Price look for the Candy Crush enthusiasts and give commercial users something which looks and functions more like Windows 7.

Thanks again

Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:48 PM
  • Thanks Steve - that fixed my problem.  I was trying to set up a new email account in Outlook 2019 - our in-house server doesn't use the full email address for the username,  just the first part.  Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom,  decided this doesn't comply with their 'dumb everything down' worldview so insist that the email account username MUST be the full email address.  The 'Repair' option in Outlook works fine if you want to change an existing mail account but, in my case, I couldn't set up a new account without a valid username. 

I don't normally use the Control Panel applet for setting up new email addresses but, thank God,  the bozos at Microsoft have left that one alone - for now.  So I was able to access all the settings I needed to set up the account successfully.  

I'm totally in agreement with a previous poster who expressed dismay at the way Microsoft are heading - attempting to oversimplify stuff and hiding familiar operations under layers of playschool bloatware introduces more problems than it solves.  Maybe it's time to diverge product lines again and save the Fisher-Price look for the Candy Crush enthusiasts and give commercial users something which looks and functions more like Windows 7.

Thanks again

And the answer is....

Microsoft did provide a very simple solution to the problem, but it appears that the engineering geniuses choose not to tell people about it.  No regedit's required, not secret sauce the solution is straight forward.

Go to Control Panel (select view by very small)

Select "Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016)

Email account setup is as you expect, the same as Outlook 2016

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 5:42 PM
  • This worked for me. Thanks!
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 2:55 PM
  • LIFE SAVER!! Thank you!!
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:00 AM
  • Thanks, Steve!

I found the well-hidden configurations thanks to your post and it worked perfectly

Cheers

Doug Oaten

Brazil

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:17 AM
  • Alt-Ctl-S also gets you to a screen where you can access advanced email account settings.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 10:16 PM
  • Why, on earth, do they make it soooo complicated ? Beats me. Good to have someone tell us the way around these byzantine mindsets. Evidently, way too many people in Microsoft trying to look busy.
    Monday, January 28, 2019 10:15 AM
  • The solution is to actually disable the"simplified account creation" feature. In other words, don't just look for the registry setting, change it if it exists, or add it if doesn't.

Type REGEDIT in the Start menu, click on the Registry Editor icon, and navigate to

If you see DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation change its value to 1. If you don't see it, right click in the right pane, NEW > DWORD (32 bit), name it DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation and set its value to 1.

Restart Outlook.

OR, if you prefer not to make permanent changes, use the workaround CTRL-ALT-S > Edit > select the account and click Account properties.

Thanks!, only way possible for me to get where I could change the IMAP / SMTP ports.

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:58 AM
  • Well, I just had to go in and make this registry change because apparently now Microsoft has taken to updating Office 2016 even if you have updates turned off in the Office account settings, even though it specifically says right there that you will no longer receive updates.

What I cannot understand is why do they even have the Office 365 subscription model if they are just going to treat the standalone versions that you only pay once for in exactly the same way?

Between this mess and the whole Windows 10 debacle I now find myself being pushed into actively exploring Linux and LibreOffice (as well as Thunderbird) and at this point pretty much plan on washing my hands of this misguided and too-big-to-care company once they finally drop support for Windows 7 next year.  I fully realize they have enough people hooked at this point that losing a few power-users isn't going to bankrupt them but it still seems like a strange and self-defeating way for a company to treat its longtime loyal customers.

Friday, February 1, 2019 7:04 PM

1. Open Outlook.
    4. Click on Account Properties and go to Advanced tab and you can edit and change the account settings."

Worked for me.

Worked for me! Thanks.. 
    Friday, February 8, 2019 1:57 PM
  • Thank You so much. I have a client who uses a Microsoft Office 2016 email client with Windows 10. She has a  TPG email account using pop3 settings. Since updates stopped working. Tried everything, only your registry settings worked as this allows you to properly select pop3 settings. well done

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:27 AM
  • That worked for me too. Thanks to everyone who found and published this solution. Outlook Version 1901 (build 11231.20174)
    Tuesday, February 19, 2019 5:55 PM
  • I was working on a remote system with Office 2019 (NOT 365) with Outlook set on "Pop" settings and since I was connecting remote I couldn't press Ctrl, Alt and S keys on the remote system so here's what I did to find the email settings.

1. Launch Outlook

2. Click File, and on the Account Settings icon click the down arrow and pick Mange Profiles

3. Mail Setup windows pops up and click on the "Email Accounts" button

4. Click on the email account once and then click on the Change button above it.

5.  Bingo! The advance interface window is back and you can view or change anything you want again like it used to be!

It's pretty wacky that we can't change or view the settings like we used to and the weird thing is I'm clicking on change just the same but because I'm navigating differently clicking on change with my above method works for some wacky reason!  Hope this helps some people thanks! :) Bruce

• Proposed as answer by sanddweller Tuesday, March 5, 2019 7:33 AM
    Sunday, February 24, 2019 8:35 AM
  • Thanks, Bruce-the-goose.
    This is the option that helped me to add a new account with username different to email_address.

Office 356, Windows 10 (no MAIL option in Control Panel??)

Via Outlook's File>AccountSettings>Manage Profiles>EmailAccounts>New is the only way to ADD a NEW mail account and get access to the IMAP server settings.
    In my case, I needed a different username than the email address (which was all that could be entered in the simplton's setup - even with 'Advanced' (sic) setup selected.

• Proposed as answer by sanddweller Tuesday, March 5, 2019 7:33 AM
    • Edited by sanddweller Tuesday, March 5, 2019 7:33 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2019 7:30 AM
  • The setup helped I set up a different user than email.

PS: Off2016 - Everything Big Than Blind ... bad path
    Friday, March 8, 2019 3:35 PM
  • This works as of March 2019 on Office version  1152.18.1903.0

To get advanced email settings, go to the installation folder for MS Office and find the file named "OLCFG.EXE". Run it.

When you run that file you get the great-old email configuration tool... all of it.  Go ahead, pin it or create a shortcut.

Furthermore, create a copy of it and keep it safe in case Microsoft decides to eliminate it on further updates.

I have not checked if it has dependencies on other files.

Friday, March 29, 2019 3:46 AM
  • Found a good post on getting the old style configuration back using the new outlook interface

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/change-password-settings-outlook/

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+S to open Send/Receive settings. (You can also open it from File, Options, Mail or from the Send/Receive menu > Send/Receive Groups > Define Send/Receive Groups.)
    2. Click Edit.
      click Edit
    3. Select the account
    4. Click Account Properties to open the Internet Account Properties dialog.

- - Richard P. Harris IT Consultant

Sunday, April 14, 2019 6:27 PM
  • thanks!  nice to see the old dialogue box pop up again!!
    Monday, April 22, 2019 9:35 AM
  • Instead if using Repair, click on Change. There you well see option to use Advanced Settings. Then click on box in front of Use Manual Settings. However I have done this several times and Outlook keeps wanting to use the IMAP settings. Eve with deleting account and uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office. Good luck!
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 5:50 PM
  • Brilian Bridget, I tried everything else but this worked like a charm and is definately the solution to being able to make settings in in and outgoing mailservers etc... 

I don't understand wij Microsoft made such a mess of this update. I spect 2 hours searching for an answer to a problem that wasn't there but that Microsoft ceated with their update by trying to implement a weird counter-untuitive and absurd way of working. I don't understand the logic of this messy and overly complicated operating system and software.... 

Saturday, May 4, 2019 7:12 AM
  • None of these options have worked for me, even the ones everyone else agrees on.  My email provider is moving everyone to Exchange 2016 next week, so these settings have to be changed for everyone.  Great.  

It is so disheartening to be a Microsoft admin.  Not only do you have to constantly deal with users, malicious programs and hardware failures that are a normal part of IT operations, you also have to worry about the CREATOR of the software screwing things up for you and causing you stress and additional hours of work on a near-constant basis.  It's maddening.  Administering Microsoft software is terrible for your mental health.  

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 4:35 PM
  • same thing here

Monday, May 27, 2019 5:57 PM

1. Open Outlook.

Worked for me.

Thank you Mariner53!
    Monday, July 22, 2019 3:31 PM
  • I am also voicing my displeasure for this change - mainly because there was not even any help notice to show where things got moved to.  I don't think it's very nice to keep moving things aronnd and surprising people without any pop-up notices explaining what changed. I actually have a life, so I can't be expected to follow all news in the world, nor when new versions of all my apps get pushed out. It also seems a bit buggy.  Why is the IMAP port showing as "2,525" LOL (see the comma), and just lags a lot.  Really nice QA there.

So it seems that, as was already stated, clicking "Repair" opens a screen where you can click "advanced" and check a box for manual reparing.  Even after that it seems Outlook still tries something in the background for some time because actually giving me manual control.  This is not better, and now only slows me down.  I think it is time to move onto other software now, since I only use IMAP now anyhow these days.

Adding a new account is similar, except it makes you wait, then shows an existing email.  WHY!? I selected NEW account.  WHY is it defaulting to existing accounts!?  Which monkey thought that was a good idea? It took me a moment to figure out I had to overwrite the email with the new email to create a new account. Now I'm stuck because that EXACT email settings that were copied over for an SMTP server (that works) no longer works for some reason when setting up new accounts, and causes the process to fail adding the new account - with no way to force it.  :(

I am currently an Office365 subscriber, but I'm having second thoughts now.

• Edited by Mr.DOS Sunday, August 11, 2019 2:25 AM
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 1:10 AM
  • Same tring to set up IMAP advance server properties. FFS WHY has Microsoft decided to suddenly make things so DIFFICULT!?
    Friday, September 6, 2019 1:55 AM
  • Steve

Many thanks for this information, I have just moved my laptop from windows 7 to 10 everything went fine apart from Outlook kept saying to check my address and password I was getting a bit frustrated and read your post worked a treat now everything working fine.

Once again many thanks.

kchops

Sunday, September 15, 2019 3:36 PM
  • This worked for me.  Thank you very much.
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 11:49 AM
  • Can you tell me which repair function you are talking about?  This just started happening to me.

How do you access this repair function

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 10:43 AM
  • Never mind, I found it.
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 10:47 AM
  • Holy crap, this just started happening to me. Why do Microsoft programmers feel the need to continuously stuff around with things that are working, and make life miserable for people who just want to get on with their work?

Your answer "You can close Outlook, go to Control Panel > Mail, click Email Accounts... button, click to select your POP account and click Change... button, this should show the advanced settings you want." is no longer relevant because some dipshi..t at Microsoft has now gone and removed "mail" from control panel.

Do you have to pass some kind of stupidity test to get a job at Microsoft?

Thursday, November 7, 2019 8:31 AM
  • where is the solution to this... now in dec 019 and I have the same issue 
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 2:17 PM