Black Screen of Death During VMWARE install RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched the forums and google and everything I can think of for a fix. I do not want to re-image my laptop (Lenovo y560 core i7, 4GB 500GB Seagate Hybrid Drive). I was installing vmware to try it out and halfway during the install I got a Blue Screen then it re-booted. Once the windows 7 logo disappeared looking like its going to load my logon screen, I all I get instead was Black Screen of Death (with mouse only). NO keys do anything except MUTE key lights up, fn keys work but no other keys are doing anything. Safe mode does the same thing on every option for F8. No restore point which I had many of previously. I was able to load the repair mode and open up notepad.exe from cmd. Then, Click open and navigate the drives on the pc to backup user data and anything else in the event the only repair is to re install. I have about 40 programs or more which just take many days worth of spare time to install and configure. 

My question is this: 1. Can I rename windows to windows.old, Copy and paste default windows folder from an install disk and see if this will work? or can I say re-install windows> copy and past all the Programs Files and Programs Files (x86) plus import the saved Reg backup to the new install and hope it works?

Again, I have ready for almost a week over 500 different reports and possible fixes.

Please, someone guide me to resolve without re-imaging. I will take all answers and relay if its been checked already and will try again if need be. 

Thank you again in advance!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First of all, I would like to answer your questions.

My question is this: 1. Can I rename windows to windows.old, Copy and paste default windows folder from an install disk and see if this will work?

It will not work properly.

or can I say re-install windows> copy and past all the Programs Files and Programs Files (x86) plus import the saved Reg backup to the new install and hope it works?

No, it will not work properly either. Because you cannot change the Registry.

You may try to boot into Last Known Good configuration.

Using Last Known Good Configuration

If it does not work, you may try to restore the system.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7 

If the above suggestions do not work, you may need to reinstall the system. If you install the new system on the C drive, the system folders of the previous system will be saved into Windows.old folder. Then you can use USMT to get your personal data back from that folder.

What's New in USMT 4.0 

Regarding the root cause of the BSOD issue, I suspect that it is caused by your BIOS that is not compatible with Windows 7. Because of this the virtualization function does not work properly. I suggest you got the Lenovo download website for your model and download all driver and firmware updates for your CPU, motherboard and BIOS.

Arthur Xie
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum  
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:53 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 6:48 AM