Office Web Apps Server in SfB Pool CPU 100% RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon,

We've been having a recurring issue on our OWA server used in our SfB pool.  The CPU will stay pinned at 100%.  This has started since mid November after our team applied the monthly Microsoft patches.

At that time, there have been no OWA patches applied to the box and these are only Windows patches.  Our team has gone through and added all AV exclusions from the site below, but we are still experiencing the same issues:

https://albandrodsmemory.wordpress.com/2016/02/07/antivirus-exclusion-for-microsoft-office-web-apps-server-2013/

We've gone through logs and everything, and the main culprit we see in Task Manager is the DCOM Server Process Launcher. (svchost.exe)  This is utilizing an unusual 64% of CPU on average.  When we did some research on  OWA and high CPU it typically indicates that we should be seeing the MS Office Components using the CPU, but in this case, it's not.

We've asked our teams to review the server itself, but I would like to know if anyone else has encountered this and if so, if there is any advice on how to clear this one out.

Thanks!

T

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:35 PM

All replies

• using an automatic updating process is not supported 

Can you check the output of the farm by below 

Get-OfficeWebappsFarm
    Get-OfficeWebappsmachine

Removing the machine and recreating the office webapps farm will solve the issue if the above is not returning any res

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you Check out my latest blog posts on http://exchangequery.com Thanks Sathish (MVP)

Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply!

Both commands return results which are expected.  The only one that's off is the second one where it says the health is unhealthy, which is what we were expecting since the CPU is 100%.  This is why we don't know if recreating the farm will help.

We will explore the possibility of doing this in the meantime.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:31 PM
  • Hi TM

You can remove the machine and recreate the farm . No harm in doing them it will not affect them.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeonlineserver/apply-software-updates-to-office-online-server

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you Check out my latest blog posts on http://exchangequery.com Thanks Sathish (MVP)

Saturday, February 24, 2018 5:22 AM
  •  

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:00 AM
  • Hello, Not at this time. We will have to schedule time to complete this change, but I will post back and mark as answer if it resolves the issue.

Thanks!!

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

are there any update?

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 5, 2018 11:26 AM
  • Hello!

Sorry for not updating this ticket.

In the end and working with MS, this ended up being an OS level issue.  There were problems with the System Broker Service, and whenever we restart those, it resolves the high CPU issues.  At this time though, there is no final solution, but will likely be a customized patch at a later date.

I would think that each of these types of issues could be different, but I hope that this might help someone direct any issues like this to other areas of support.

Thanks!

Monday, June 18, 2018 1:49 PM