Identify VHD path attached to vm-guest RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a Hyper-V guest with multiple VHDs, how can I map guest disks back to the original VHDs?

for examlpe

VM settings

SCSI Controller

Hard Drive

Hard Drive

SCSI Controller

Hard Drive

Hard Drive

local vm guest OS disk management

Disk1

Disk2

Disk3

Disk4

Thanks

Noor

Friday, May 6, 2016 5:46 PM

Answers

• In the VM SCSI controller settings, you attach a disk at a particular SCSI bus location (0, 1, 2,.. 15)

The VM also has SCSI bus mount locations.

Just as for IDE 0 having 0,1 and IDE 1 having 0,1

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, May 16, 2016 8:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:54 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 6:26 PM
  • Hi Noor,

Do you mean you want to know the corresponding vhd of the disk?

You could attatch the vhds to the same SCSI controller. Then, open disk management. Right on the disk to open the properties. The lun number is the same as the location number of the SCSI controller.

I performed a test on my VM. 2 SCSI controllers, 3 VHDs of different sizes. Then I changed the SCSI controller and the Locations that the VHDs are attatched to. I found that the sequence of the disks shown in disk management is the same as the VHDs shown in the settings of the VM. That means on your VM, Disk 1 and 2 is attatched to the first SCSI controller and 3, 4 attatched to the second one. And disk1 is the vhd with smaller location number, disk2 is the one with a larger location number.

I'm not sure if it is a common phenomenon. I still suggest you attatch them to one SCSI controller and check the lun number.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 9, 2016 8:26 AM

All replies

• In the VM SCSI controller settings, you attach a disk at a particular SCSI bus location (0, 1, 2,.. 15)

The VM also has SCSI bus mount locations.

Just as for IDE 0 having 0,1 and IDE 1 having 0,1

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, May 6, 2016 6:26 PM
  • Hi Noor,

Do you mean you want to know the corresponding vhd of the disk?

You could attatch the vhds to the same SCSI controller. Then, open disk management. Right on the disk to open the properties. The lun number is the same as the location number of the SCSI controller.

I performed a test on my VM. 2 SCSI controllers, 3 VHDs of different sizes. Then I changed the SCSI controller and the Locations that the VHDs are attatched to. I found that the sequence of the disks shown in disk management is the same as the VHDs shown in the settings of the VM. That means on your VM, Disk 1 and 2 is attatched to the first SCSI controller and 3, 4 attatched to the second one. And disk1 is the vhd with smaller location number, disk2 is the one with a larger location number.

I'm not sure if it is a common phenomenon. I still suggest you attatch them to one SCSI controller and check the lun number.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 9, 2016 8:26 AM