Windows 7 Ultimate Running Basic Theme Due to lack of Aero Support RRS feed

• Question

• Hey I just wanted to know if Microsoft Planned on releasing a service pack for modifying the theme of Windows 7 whilist it is running the Basic theme. I have noted a few hacks including modifying the actual UXTHEME.DLL file but I think this should be left best to Microsoft.

I bought Windows 7 Ultimate under the impression that my Integrated Video Card in my Toshiba would support Aero (It does support the minimum requirements but Intel does not plan on writting an Aero driver for it).

Microsoft I want to know if I can modify my theme (IE Taskbar color and ETC.) On my Win7 or if I can deactivate it and install it on a computer that does in fact support Aero because this is an irritating waste of $329 USD II don't need Aero just the ability to change my theme from this UGLY looking garbage. If I wanted Windows 7 Basic I would have bought it
    Monday, November 2, 2009 2:06 AM

Answers

• Hello TINDOWS,

If you'd like to run Windows 7 Aero theme, the following device requirement should be met.

·         Your graphics card should support DirectX 9.

·         The graphics card must support Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware. This is the critical piece that you will have to check with your graphics card manufacturer. If you have a newer ATI or NVIDIA card, you should be good.

·         The driver must be written specifically for Windows 7. You’ll be able to see that your graphics card driver is a Windows 7 Display Driver Model (WDDM) driver by looking at the adapter type in device manager:

·         The system must be set to 32 bits per pixel.

·         You must have a graphics card with at least 64MB of RAM in it, although I’d suggest a card with more memory. If you have a lower memory graphics card, you may have to decrease the resolution to enable Aero.

If the display adaptor is short of Aero driver, you might go to Device Manager, right click video device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator.

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum. This will give you some guidelines.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

In addition, it is simple to transfer the license from one computer to another via contacting Microsoft Customer Service, which allows you to deactivate the current computer and reactivate the product on another machine.

How and when to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support

Hope the information helpful!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by TINDOWS Friday, December 11, 2009 9:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, December 14, 2009 10:23 AM
    Monday, November 2, 2009 9:38 AM

All replies

• Hello TINDOWS,

If you'd like to run Windows 7 Aero theme, the following device requirement should be met.

·         Your graphics card should support DirectX 9.

·         The graphics card must support Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware. This is the critical piece that you will have to check with your graphics card manufacturer. If you have a newer ATI or NVIDIA card, you should be good.

·         The driver must be written specifically for Windows 7. You’ll be able to see that your graphics card driver is a Windows 7 Display Driver Model (WDDM) driver by looking at the adapter type in device manager:

·         The system must be set to 32 bits per pixel.

·         You must have a graphics card with at least 64MB of RAM in it, although I’d suggest a card with more memory. If you have a lower memory graphics card, you may have to decrease the resolution to enable Aero.

If the display adaptor is short of Aero driver, you might go to Device Manager, right click video device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator.

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum. This will give you some guidelines.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

In addition, it is simple to transfer the license from one computer to another via contacting Microsoft Customer Service, which allows you to deactivate the current computer and reactivate the product on another machine.

How and when to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support

Hope the information helpful!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by TINDOWS Friday, December 11, 2009 9:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, December 14, 2009 10:23 AM
    Monday, November 2, 2009 9:38 AM
  • Thanks for the reply but this isn't the issue.

My Intel GMA 900 fully supports aero but intel will not
    write or release a WDDM driver.

So why can't Microsoft Allow me to change the color of the taskbar while running without Aero

I am being treated like a second class customer with this issue
    Friday, December 11, 2009 9:54 PM