none
Windows 7 and MS Office Communicator 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I've recently just been hired on for desktop support for a new firm and I've just gotten my first stumper of a q: namely, can MS Office Communicator 2005 be used in a predominately Windows 7 environment?

From what I see in this office, next to all employee workstations are running some kind of Windows 7 build (I happen to be on a Sony Vaio w/ Vista Business, just fyi). For the most part OffComm works just fine for all of us. However, one employee on the web side seems to goofing on him something fierce. In Windows 7 Enterprise, OffComm will allow him to log into the client (I see him on my list right now). If he's the one to initiate the conversation, I will get the conversation clip to preview in my taskbar, but when I actually maximize the program to respond, the text mysteriously vanishes from the chat window, and any/all attempts to communicate to him are met with the ""The following message could not be delivered to all recipients, possibly because one or more persons are offline" error message.

When I initiate the conversation, the text will apppear, and the status indicator will show he is typing a reply, but the reply never makes it to the chat session. The errors only appear on his end, not mine, or anyone else.

I've tried a few of the MS OffComm 2005 hotfixes, but those seem to be causing more trouble than good. Has anyone ran into this issue with OffComm 2005? I do not know what our current status is on getting OCS 2007 here, so it looks like I need to get this to work on 2005.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Eric Pogue

Monday, February 22, 2010 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is the guy using wi-fi? If the user gets dropped and reconnected frequently, it takes them offline and then brings them back.

To workaround this issue, try setting their status to "Appear Offline".

As the issue only occurs to one person, why not uninstall and reinstall OffComm. In addition, when did this issue first occur? Right after installing Win7?
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:20 AM