Sbs 2003 Ceicw Fails On Network And Email Setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hope some body can help I have been banging my head against the keyboard for a few days I cannot figure out what is wrong.

I was helping a friend out because their email has gone down, I found out the DNS settings have changed so I re-ran the CEICW on the server SBS 2003 which his last I.T guy setup, it failed on network and email and now only some computers will get IP address from DHCP.

The setup is 1 NIC in server it seems the server and all the computers connect to router, not how I would like it to be setup, I couldn't get in to the router to see if had DHCP enabled I don't think it does. NO ISA INSTALLED

The errors in the log are:

Error 0x1 returned from call to RegisterMSBOExchangeBP().
    Call to Unregistering the smtp sink () returned ok.
    Call to GetLocalDomainName () returned ok.
    Call to Reading in the local domain name () returned ok.
    Local Domain Name is: rodneyrddental.local
    Call to Enabling secure dynamic DNS updates () returned ok.
    Call to Disabling RoundRobin for DNS server () returned ok.
    Error 0x800706ba returned from call to Configuring DHCP options().
    Error 0x800706ba returned from call to CNetCommit::Common().
    Error 0x800706ba returned from call to CNetCommit::Commit().

AND NEAR THE END

calling ReadInt4 (0x2dd118, DB5E5E45-3598-4F1D-8FF7-0ED35B9EB6A4).
    Call to ReadInt4 () returned ok.
    The out param of ReadInt4() is 1.
    calling GetDomainAndControllerNames ().
    Error 0x80070057 returned from call to GetDomainAndControllerNames().
    Error 0x80070057 returned from call to CEMailCommit::Commit().
    calling GetBOConnector ().
    Error 0x800704bc returned from call to GetBOConnector().

I have checked anything I could find in forums and nothing I tried worked, I cannot get it to complete successfully.

Hope somebody can help, sorry for going on a bit.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:19 AM

Answers

• Probably not related to logmein.

But do:
    check your server event logs for errors

You are really stressing my memory, but here's an old post that might help -
    but I don't know if the KBs are still available. If not, post back.

Les Connor posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 10:15 AM
    It's generally not a great idea to update NIC drivers on a DC
    programatically, as it seems they often get disabled and re-enabled but with
    a different name. Sometimes the binding order gets mucked up as well (in a
    two nic deployment).

You need to check the NIC settings to ensure they are correct, and the
    binding order (internal nic first, external nic second) if a two NIC
    deployment.

See steps 2 and 3 in this KB:

You may also have "ghost" NICs in device manager, if present those should be
    deleted.

You should install and run the SBS Best Practices Analyzer, if not already
    done.

You may need to run the Connect to the Internet Wizard (not selecting "do
    not change") to reset things.

--
    Les Connor [SBS-MVP]

--
    -----------------------------------------------
    Les Connor [Ex SBS MVP 2001-2011]

"drewjuk" wrote in message
    news:c2d133fb-30fe-4401-b449-011d998a12de@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > Do you think the ghosted nics are for logmein.com app? I just ran
    > Microsoft fix it tool and it kicked me out :/
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    >

Ex MVP-SBS (2001-2011)
    • Marked as answer by drewjuk Friday, October 7, 2011 10:26 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:09 PM

All replies

• Is the DHCP Server service started on the SBS Server ?

What is the IP configuration of the SBS Server

Which IP address is the DNS server listening on ?

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

I think the DHCP server is started by looking in DHCP in admin tools, but If I look in IPCONFIG /ALL it says dhcp enabled = no

Static IP Set in LAN conenction Ip config (this has never changed and always worked) =

Gateway = 192.168.23.1

IP (server) = 192.168.23.5

DNS = 192.168.23.5

WINS = 192.168.23.5

CEICW CONFIG WHEN RUNNING WIZARD

Router IP = 192.168.23.1

DNS = 62.23.228.9

DNS2 = 62.23.228.10

Server = 192.168.23.5

Thanks for your help

• Edited by drewjuk Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:27 PM mistake
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:24 PM
  • If you have a static IP set on the NIC the ipconfig /all will show DHCP as enabled = no.

Steve

<drewjuk> wrote in message news:93498827-6e7a-4919-95dc-20dc3d429887@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi,

I think the DHCP server is started by looking in DHCP in admin tools, but If I look in IPCONFIG /ALL it says dhcp enabled = no

Static IP Set in LAN conenction Ip config (this has never changed and always worked) =

Gateway = 192.168.23.1

IP (server) = 192.168.23.5

DNS = 192.168.23.5

WINS = 192.168.23.5

CEICW CONFIG WHEN RUNNING WIZARD

Router IP = 192.168.23.1

DNS = 62.23.228.9

DNS2 = 62.23.228.10

Server = 192.168.23.5

Thanks for your help

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:51 PM
  • So would this be why it is failing when running the CEICW wizard, email also fails?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Please open the Services console and look for DHCP Server service and make sure it is started.

Can you do an IPconfig /all on the server and paste it here?

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:18 PM
  • I was simply pointing out what ipconfig /all will say about DHCP. Your SBS NIC should have a static IP. Please do what Vibha has requested in his next post.

Steve

<drewjuk> wrote in message news:b25f0952-8708-4316-97ef-672e85bc0dc4@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

So would this be why it is failing when running the CEICW wizard, email also fails?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:50 PM
  • DHCP is started

IPCONFIG /ALL

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cd\

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rdsvms
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : rodneyrddental.local
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : rodneyrddental.local

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-0C-3E-1B-DF
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.23.5
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.23.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.23.5
       Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.23.5

C:\>

Thanks for your help

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:39 PM
  • the fact some get IP from DHCP is a bit weird, in that others don't.

One thing that can happen is that the DHCP thinks it is exhausted. Go into the DHCP console and delete any allocations (don't delete reservations, if you have any), then restart the DHCP Server. Check the (System or Application?) log when you restart DNS, see if it errors.

IPConfig from the server looks good, you might shoot us the IPConfig from a working machine.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:38 PM
  • 1. Run SBS BPA , it should point to existing issues which needs to be fixed.

2. Clean boot once the BPA reported issues have been fixed.

3. DHCP Client service should be running.

Looks like you have invalid entries in dns .Clean them up if they do.

Run CEICW again.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

There are only 8 computers and I did restart the server to see if this would solve anything, so I am pretty sure DHCP is not exhausted, the computers work if you set static IP.

The thing is they all connected fine until I ran the Internet Connect Wizard.

I will download BPA and run it now.

This is the most common error in event log:

Category: LDAP Operations
    LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on directory rdsvms.rodneyrddental.local for distinguished name ''. Directory returned error:[0x51] Server Down.    

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

• Edited by drewjuk Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:37 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:37 AM
  • Exchange attempts to use the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) when it performs Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) searches. If the server on which Active Directory is located does not respond or cannot be reached by means of the FQDN, the LDAP query will not work.

To verify that the server is available, use the FQDN to ping the server mentioned in the "Description" section of the error from the  server. The request may return a "Host Not Found" error.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

Here is the report from BPA:

Three or more network adapter cards are detected on this server.  This is not a supported configuration and will cause Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard to fail. Windows SBS 2003 supports only one or two network adapters.

And

Task Offloading is enabled and should be disabled on Windows Small Business Server 2003. Change the value of the DisableTaskOffload registry key to 1. For detailed instructions,  see the Knowledge Base article "You experience intermittent communication failure between computers that are running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003"

Hope this helps you help me solve this !!

Thanks

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Those ones were just critical errors Here are a few more Informational that I missed

EDNS is enabled on this server. Some of the routers or firewalls may not support EDNS.  You should disable EDNS on this server. To do so, click Start, and then click Command Prompt. In the Command Prompt window, type dnscmd /Config /EnableEdnsProbes 0 and then restart the DNS Server service.

This server is running Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 and SP2 is available. - Going to update this now

Operating system no updating with daylight savings

POP3 Connector snap-in does not appear to be the version from knowledge base article "Error message when you use the POP3 Connector Manager with MMC 3.0: "'MMC has detected an error in a snap-in

This server is running Windows SBS 2003 Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1. Exchange Server 2003 SP2 is available. - going to sort this out now

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:11 PM
  • That 3 network card warning followed by this "will cause the CEICW to fail" seems to be a good reason. Why do you have 3 NICs in the SBS?

Steve

<drewjuk> wrote in message news:eff7dba2-0607-4ed7-a2ef-a361368aa950@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi,

Here is the report from BPA:

Three or more network adapter cards are detected on this server. This is not a supported configuration and will cause Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard to fail. Windows SBS 2003 supports only one or two network adapters.

And

Task Offloading is enabled and should be disabled on Windows Small Business Server 2003. Change the value of the DisableTaskOffload registry key to 1. For detailed instructions, see the Knowledge Base article "You experience intermittent communication failure between computers that are running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003"

Hope this helps you help me solve this !!

Thanks

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Hi Steve,

There isnt 3 network cards, I think it is a false error, I have been reading up and some forums say anti virus programs can cause BPA to think there is 3 network cards, I can assure you there is just 1, you can also see this by ipconfig /all above.

I was hoping this was the reason but I am guessing now it isnt!

:(

back to the drawing board.

I am doing server pack updates tho, shocking this server has never been maintained, Microsoft Services 3.0 SP2 Hangs and won't even progress 1 bar on install it just does nothing, not sure how important this is?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:15 PM
  • I hadn't heard of the problem concerning 3 nics and AV, what AV do you have installed please?

That DST patch can be flagged when you have a later DST patch on. To get rid of the message you might want to try to run it before applying other updates, if the later patch is on it will tell you.

Is that WSUS 3.0 SP2? can't say I've seen it either but we need other than 'Microsoft Services' as a description.

The error may be the TOE stuff, follow the KB pointed to.

Note that I said 'DHCP _thinks_ it is exhausted', not that it actually is. Yes, I've seen the problem on systems having as few client PCs as yours. I've even had to fully reset the DHCP database once or twice.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Avast was installed but I removed this and installed mcafee SaaS, I think avast may have left a bit of a mess behind.

I use the same mcafee on other servers and have no problem what so ever.

I cannot see any allocations in the DHCP console maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

I attached screen shot, yes WSUS 2.0 SP2 I have tried so many times, I have downloaded the stand alone installer and tried without any AV running still nothing it just doesn't do anything, strange....

This is stopping other windows updates showing in the list so I guess I need to get this sorted some how, but that's not the urgent issue at hand.

I have restarted the server twice today for the Services packs for SBS and Exchange.

Thanks for your help

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:19 PM
  • the allocated addresses would be in the 'address leases' section. Leases will exist for those addresses that have been allocated.

It's unusual, but shouldn't be a problem, that you have the 3 distinct, but also contiguous exclusion ranges. It shouldn't be a problem for the ICW nor DHCP but is a bit odd and there's at least some possibility it is the cause. I'd either delete the additional 2 ranges (1-9 is normal) or delete them and expand 1-9 to be 1-39.

Check your reservations and/or just don't delete any reservations, but delete other leases, then restart DHCP (ie. not the server, just DHCP Server Service), and inspect the logs (System and Application) for any errors.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Sorry for late reply (different time zones)

Yes I thought that was strange, I never set this up so no idea what the guy was thinking...

I guess it couldn't effect anything if I did delete them because the range will still be open!

There are only 4 ip addresses in leases, do I just delete them all, this won't break anything will it?

I think the WSUS has caused some problems by not completing !

Thanks for your help (I will show ss's off all the pages in the dhcp)

Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:22 AM
  • I notice that avast has installed MSSQL service which obviously did not come off when I un-installed it as they are still running, I wonder if this causes WSUS to fail?

they are screenies of other other dhcp pages.

Thanks

Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:56 AM
  • if you delete the existing leases the clients will obtain fresh leases at DHCP renewal.

Are there devices (printers maybe) on the network anywhere in the reserved spaces? The only thing we've gotta be careful of is not allowing DHCP to allocate an address in use by something else.

Don't get too wrapped up in the DHCP though. DHCP is a simple process and the confusing bit is why some stations are getting it OK while others ain't.

We don't need screenies of all the pages.

Delete the 4 leases. restart the DHCP service. Check the logs for errors as the service starts. If there's no errors and we still have a problem obtaining DHCP on some machines my next step would be to get rid of those additional reservations (as we don't know why they exist).

Do the TOE fixes.

Do the PCs log any errors when attempting to obtain an IP via DHCP? (HINT: There should be _at least_ one message, 'couldn't get IP', in the logs)

log onto one of the problem PCs, set it to DHCP. This should not cause restart, logs.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Ok I will try all this tomorrow, I am currently only viewing via remote desktop and do not want to risk any problems while I am not there, I am going in tomorrow morning (22 hours from now) so I will do all this then and let you know how I got on!

Thanks

Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:41 AM
  • Check for ghosted NICs?

--

"SuperGumby [MVP]" wrote in message
    news:3f1aac02-5f75-47ef-bbfa-a1417df3f633@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > if you delete the existing leases the clients will obtain fresh leases at
    > DHCP renewal.
    >
    > Are there devices (printers maybe) on the network anywhere in the reserved
    > spaces? The only thing we've gotta be careful of is not allowing DHCP to
    > allocate an address in use by something else.
    >
    > Don't get too wrapped up in the DHCP though. DHCP is a simple process and
    > the confusing bit is why some stations are getting it OK while others
    > ain't.
    >
    > We don't need screenies of all the pages.
    >
    > Delete the 4 leases. restart the DHCP service. Check the logs for errors
    > as the service starts. If there's no errors and we still have a problem
    > obtaining DHCP on some machines my next step would be to get rid of those
    > additional reservations (as we don't know why they exist).
    >
    > Do the TOE fixes.
    >
    > Do the PCs log any errors when attempting to obtain an IP via DHCP? (HINT:
    > There should be _at least_ one message, 'couldn't get IP', in the logs)
    >
    > log onto one of the problem PCs, set it to DHCP. This should not cause
    > restart, logs.
    >

Ex MVP-SBS (2001-2011)
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Ill try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155

Thanks

• Edited by drewjuk Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:21 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Do you think the ghosted nics are for logmein.com app? I just ran Microsoft fix it tool and it kicked me out :/

Thanks

Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Probably not related to logmein.

But do:
    check your server event logs for errors

You are really stressing my memory, but here's an old post that might help -
    but I don't know if the KBs are still available. If not, post back.

Les Connor posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 10:15 AM
    It's generally not a great idea to update NIC drivers on a DC
    programatically, as it seems they often get disabled and re-enabled but with
    a different name. Sometimes the binding order gets mucked up as well (in a
    two nic deployment).

You need to check the NIC settings to ensure they are correct, and the
    binding order (internal nic first, external nic second) if a two NIC
    deployment.

See steps 2 and 3 in this KB:

You may also have "ghost" NICs in device manager, if present those should be
    deleted.

You should install and run the SBS Best Practices Analyzer, if not already
    done.

You may need to run the Connect to the Internet Wizard (not selecting "do
    not change") to reset things.

--
    Les Connor [SBS-MVP]

--

news:c2d133fb-30fe-4401-b449-011d998a12de@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > Do you think the ghosted nics are for logmein.com app? I just ran
    > Microsoft fix it tool and it kicked me out :/
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    >

Ex MVP-SBS (2001-2011)
    • Marked as answer by drewjuk Friday, October 7, 2011 10:26 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:09 PM
  • No Joy,

I ran the fixit tool which deleted all nic's including the current one, rebooted deleted the dhcp like gumby said so there is just one, tried all of those things.

restarted, SBS BPA doesnt run any more when you get to started report screen you can type a report name but no start button, CECIW still fails, the same computers still need static IPS

THANKS

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:41 PM
  • I don't know what fixit tool you ran, but I don't like the sounds of it.
    Removing NICs on a DC is not pretty.

Have you had a look at the kb articles to see whether you have any ghosted
    hardware (NICs specifically) present?

--

news:b7140368-1e17-413b-a8a2-f7647555d43a@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > No Joy,
    >
    > I ran the fixit tool which deleted all nic's including the current one,
    > rebooted deleted the dhcp like gumby said so there is just one, tried all
    > of those things.
    >
    >
    >
    > restarted, SBS BPA doesnt run any more when you get to started report
    > screen you can type a report name but no start button, CECIW still fails,
    > the same computers still need static IPS
    >
    >
    >
    > THANKS
    >

Ex MVP-SBS (2001-2011)
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:12 PM
  • I wish I wouldn't off run it, I thought it was just to get rid of the ghost nic's I previously mentioned that BPA found when it was working, I ran this tool here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155. there is no hardware in network connections or device manager.

So I am not sure what BPA was on about.

Thanks

Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:59 PM
  • if you read the kb's I provided in the 'old post' you'll see that you have
    to go into device manager, and under a certain preset mode, to expose the
    'ghosts' - or non-present devices. You are not going to see them anywhere
    else.

those KBs should be your whole answer - at least they were when this was a
    common condition to find an SBS 2003 server in.

--

news:658b52a7-c7e1-4f61-a38a-cb3f39201327@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > I wish I wouldn't off run it, I thought it was just to get rid of the
    > ghost nic's I previously mentioned that BPA found when it was working, I
    > ran this tool here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155. there is no
    > hardware in network connections or device manager.
    >
    > So I am not sure what BPA was on about.
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    >

Ex MVP-SBS (2001-2011)
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Hi,

I have followed the article and I have attatched an image below of all the ghost network cards, I can see mcafee has installed some but there are lots of others not sure what to delete?

Thanks

I have tried the other 2 things in the articles...

Thanks

• Edited by drewjuk Friday, October 7, 2011 9:36 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Here are some new errors from BPA I managed to get it working from reinstalled:

TCPA is enabled and should be disabled on Windows SBS 2003. Change the EnableTCPA registry value to 0. For detailed instructions, see "Disable offloading support" section of the knowledge base article "You may experience network-related problems after you install Windows Server 2003 SP2 or the Scalable Networking Pack on a Windows Small Business Server 2003-based computer that has an advanced network adapter" at

TCP Chimney is enabled. You should disable TCP Chimney on Windows SBS 2003. To turn off TCP Chimney, use the Netsh.exe command as follows: 1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK. 2. At the command prompt, type: Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED 3. Press ENTER. 4. Restart the server.

Task Offloading is enabled and should be disabled on Windows Small Business Server 2003. Change the value of the DisableTaskOffload registry key to 1. For detailed instructions, see the Knowledge Base article "You experience intermittent communication failure between computers that are running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003" at

Receive Side Scaling (RSS) is enabled and should be disabled on Windows SBS 2003. For detailed instructions, see "Disable Receive Side Scaling" section of the knowledge base article "You may experience network-related problems after you install Windows Server 2003 SP2 or the Scalable Networking Pack on a Windows Small Business Server 2003-based computer that has an advanced network adapter

I JUST FIXED THESE 3 THINGS, I am waiting to be allowed to reboot, I also uninstalled mcafee so its just the other ghot NIC's left!

• Edited by drewjuk Friday, October 7, 2011 9:47 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 9:41 AM
  • nothing in the image is a 'ghost NIC' (previously, but not now existing).

Yep, McAfee appearst to have installed some 'networks shims', but that's another item.

Friday, October 7, 2011 10:09 AM
  • works,

I uninstalled mcafee, logmein, installed latest windows script servcies, then I fixed all errors in BPA and installed WSUS 3.0 SP2, then rebooted and it worked!!

Hurahhhhhhhh thanks for all you help guys :D

Friday, October 7, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Good work drewjuk :-).

I don't know how much visibility we actually had into your issue; I think
    you mostly resolved it yourself (but the BPA is a great self-help tool).

--

news:f15f016b-5344-41f2-9d57-5db972045074@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > works,
    >
    >
    >
    > I uninstalled mcafee, logmein, installed latest windows script servcies,
    > then I fixed all errors in BPA and installed WSUS 3.0 SP2, then rebooted
    > and it worked!!
    >
    >
    >
    > Hurahhhhhhhh thanks for all you help guys :D
    >

Ex MVP-SBS (2001-2011)
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:44 PM
  • The BPA was flagging TOE/TCPChimney/etc... It was most likely the cause of the original error(flakey DHCP).

Easy to say in hindsight.

Friday, October 7, 2011 8:10 PM
  • I think you guy's did help a lot I was stuck and giving up all hope, its so good these forums with GURU's are hear because they kept giving me hope and pointing me in the right direction, I would probably say BPA was a big help and the TOE/TCP/CHIMNEY but I did so much who knows, at least its all up to date and working.

Thanks to every body who help!!

Now I just got to figure out why Mcafee SaaS Firewall is blocking emails to the exchange server, strange Mcafee say its not possible but when its disabled they get through :/

Sunday, October 9, 2011 7:46 PM