none
Power Query - 'Connecting Please wait while we establish connection to ...' spins forever with no connection or error RRS feed

• Question

• Attempting to use the 'Get External Data' and 'From File' to access data in an Excel file on my local drive.  Also tried csv file.  Both get the 'Connecting ...' message that pops up and keeps spinning - forever! (well, I can't definitively say 'forever' but I haven't seen it stop).  No errors, no advisory messages - just a maddengly persistent box!

Topic was discussed on another thread with an Answer 'It was the company firewall' without a description of what the firewall was blocking or how it was resolved.  I do not understand why or how a firewall would block access to a file on my own hard drive.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:04 PM

Answers

• Alrite...I'm running out of ideas

Maybe the trace will tell us something. Can you go into Options -> Diagnostics -> Enable tracing. Perform your scenario again and then send us the trace files (in the same panel, click "Open trace folder" and send everything captured in the scenario, you can see the timestamp. There won't be any data logged in the trace files)

Email: <redacted> at Microsoft dot com

and pqian at Microsoft dot com

Thursday, April 7, 2016 7:49 PM
  • We could not really chase down the issue. On a separate customer's report, reinstalling the .net framework/OS helped him. There maybe a setup issue with some of .net's components.

Peter Q. http://blogs.msdn.com/peter_qian

Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave. What happens if you do "Get External Data", "From Other Sources", "Blank Query" and enter the following in the formula bar?

= 123

Does the preview display the number, or just keep showing the busy dots?

Ehren

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:35 PM
    Owner
  • When I enter '= 123' in the formula bar as instructed it continues to show the busy dots.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:22 PM
  • Try go into options -> data load -> and hit "Clear Cache"

Does that help?

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:27 PM
  • Tried Options -> data load and 'Clear Cache', then tried opening a csv file and, when that didn't work, tried  the '= 123' (above) without success.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 8:26 PM
  • Alrite...I'm running out of ideas

Maybe the trace will tell us something. Can you go into Options -> Diagnostics -> Enable tracing. Perform your scenario again and then send us the trace files (in the same panel, click "Open trace folder" and send everything captured in the scenario, you can see the timestamp. There won't be any data logged in the trace files)

Email: <redacted> at Microsoft dot com

and pqian at Microsoft dot com

Thursday, April 7, 2016 7:49 PM
  • On its way to the two emails listed

Thanks,

Dave

Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:34 PM
  • What was the outcome of this? I have the same problem. Using Office 2013.
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:45 PM
  • We could not really chase down the issue. On a separate customer's report, reinstalling the .net framework/OS helped him. There maybe a setup issue with some of .net's components.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:21 PM