none
aspx web page working with server name but not with ip address

Question

• I have an IIS webpage on a windows 2012 server with a static startpage and dynamic aspx content later.

The URL to the static web page works fine in all cases.

The aspx webpage works fine in the following cases

a.) if accessed from the server itself with the ip address

b.) if accessed from other machines with the server name

The aspx webpage does not work (displaying an application specific error which basically tells that the dynamic aspx does not work) in the following cases

c.) if accessed from the server itself with the server name

d.) if accessed from other machines with the ip address

Can you please help me find out how to make it work conistently?

On the server the hosts file contains the server name pointing to the ip address. On the other machines there is no hosts file entry.

The binding of the IIS web page shows 80 and *

My question is similar to

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d54b72dd-ea16-4265-83ed-b9b67febe964/url-work-with-ip-address-but-not-server-name?forum=winserversecurity

but the solution of that page did not solve my problem.

The application pool runs under application pool identity (but I tried changing it to no avail)

Friday, July 13, 2018 8:42 PM

Answers

• Found a solution:

The problem was not in IIS but in the clients configuration (internet explorer). It is necessary to put both the ip address and the server name in the trusted sites (which allows the scripting) and to put both ip address and server name into the compatibility view. After this action now the web pages are working with both the ip address and the server name.

Resolved

Saturday, July 21, 2018 10:12 AM