none
IMAP Email account no longer works since setting up 365 RRS feed

• Question

• I am really hoping someone can point me in the right direction for help with the whole office 365 set-up, in particular email.

We are a very small business but have been using IMAP email from our desktops. I am by no means an IT person, just feeling my way through to get us the software and file storage on-line.

Today I set-up office 365, and since asking our provider to update the DNS setting as instructed, my emails are now available via 365 but are no longer coming through to my desktop IMAP account via outloook 2013.

I am also concerned that this will also impact other users within the business, so naturally having a slight panic.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Friday, May 15, 2015 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you’re connecting to your Office 365 for business email, you don’t need to look up your settings. For Office 365 for business, use the following settings in Outlook account settings:       

Server name

Port

Encryption method 

IMAP4

outlook.office365.com

993 implicit

TLS* v1-1.2

SMTP

smtp.office365.com

587 explicit

TLS v1-1.2

If you’re using Exchange-based email, but aren't using Office 365 for business, do the following to look up your IMAP settings:

1. Sign in to Outlook Web App for Office 365.

2. On the nav bar, choose Outlook (or Mail).

3. On the nav bar, click Settings

4. On the My account page, select Settings for POP or IMAP access

Or Under Mail > Accounts, select POP and IMAP.

5. The POP3, IMAP4, and Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server name as well as other settings you may need to enter are listed on the Settings for POP or IMAP Access page under POP setting or IMAP setting or SMTP setting.

Please use this settings to setup the account in Outlook.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 18, 2015 7:10 AM

All replies

• Unless you worked with your provider to have IMAP access to Office 365, I doubt it is available.  And I have never heard of Office 365 being open to IMAP access, but there's always a first.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Friday, May 15, 2015 6:23 PM
  • Hi,

If you’re connecting to your Office 365 for business email, you don’t need to look up your settings. For Office 365 for business, use the following settings in Outlook account settings:       

Server name

Port

Encryption method 

IMAP4

outlook.office365.com

993 implicit

TLS* v1-1.2

SMTP

smtp.office365.com

587 explicit

TLS v1-1.2

If you’re using Exchange-based email, but aren't using Office 365 for business, do the following to look up your IMAP settings:

1. Sign in to Outlook Web App for Office 365.

2. On the nav bar, choose Outlook (or Mail).

3. On the nav bar, click Settings

4. On the My account page, select Settings for POP or IMAP access

Or Under Mail > Accounts, select POP and IMAP.

5. The POP3, IMAP4, and Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server name as well as other settings you may need to enter are listed on the Settings for POP or IMAP Access page under POP setting or IMAP setting or SMTP setting.

Please use this settings to setup the account in Outlook.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 18, 2015 7:10 AM