none
Restoring Project Server 2010 Sample Proposal Workflow after custom fields deletion? RRS feed

• Question

• After searching the blogs, I can't seem to find anyone who has done this, so I just have to ask the question directly!

A prior Project Server 2010 Admin deleted the "Sample Proposal" custom fields, and when I got on board, of course the Sample Proposal Workflow wouldn't work because "Sample Proposal Cost" field was missing, and the "$1,000,000" test blew it up!

I have the 2010 SDK, and re-deployed the workflow, but the Sample custom fields are still missing. Has ANYONE out there successfully revived Sample Proposal Workflow after field deletion?  I would appreciate hearing how it was done.

Thanks!

JTC

JAckson T. Cole, PMP, MCITP

Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Jackson,

I would have tried to deactivate and activate again the feature, but obviously it won't recreate the custom fields.

In this case I see no other ways than creating a new instance and recreating manually (or using the Playbook or a similar tool) the fields/stages/phases.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Jackson Cole Friday, December 12, 2014 3:24 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2014 3:59 AM
  • I agree with Guillarme!

Assuming you do not have a backup o custom fields via Scheduled Backup from that time, the best option is to simply create a new instance, and transfer the fields.

The only thing I will add is that you could use a trial version of FluentPro FluentBooks to move the selected custom fields. (Playbooks is all or nothing).

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Friday, December 12, 2014 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Jackson,

I would have tried to deactivate and activate again the feature, but obviously it won't recreate the custom fields.

In this case I see no other ways than creating a new instance and recreating manually (or using the Playbook or a similar tool) the fields/stages/phases.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, December 12, 2014 3:59 AM
  • I agree with Guillarme!

Assuming you do not have a backup o custom fields via Scheduled Backup from that time, the best option is to simply create a new instance, and transfer the fields.

The only thing I will add is that you could use a trial version of FluentPro FluentBooks to move the selected custom fields. (Playbooks is all or nothing).

Cheers,

Friday, December 12, 2014 3:20 PM
  • I have gotten Playbooks installed and created an XML file of the custom fields on a new, unsullied, instance of PWA on a sandbox. Unless there is something I am not discerning in that XML file, why can't I delete all but the "Sample Proposal" custom fields, then do a "merge" Restore? I am going to try that on my sandbox.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update - Upon editing the XML as carefully as possible, and attempting both "Replace" and "Merge" on my sandbox, I get the following error on all Sample Proposal custom fields: "Project Server Error: CustomFieldInvalidUID". Note that I am also running Playbook from a Win7 client, and not on the server.  I will attempt a Restore using the unedited file later today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update - Restoring from the unedited XML file, only the "Sample Proposal" fields failed again, all the "vanilla" fields restored OK.  I see in the TechNet article for Playbook, "http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg128952(v=office.14).aspx" that backup or restore involving Workflows needs to be run on the associated server. However, my backup worked OK, so perhaps the "writes" needed to restore Workflow fields aren't working because of not running on the server.

I will also attempt to find the tool Prassanna mentioned above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update - On a hunch, I tried a Restore/Merge on my Test/QA Server, and it worked, at least the custom fields are back. I still have to run a test project through the workflow, but there is something different on my sandbox, apparently, that blocks restoration of Sample Proposal fields.

BTW, FluentPro is certainly not shy about valuation of their product, are they???!!!! $6000 for single license????

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackson T. Cole, PMP, MCITP

• Edited by Jackson Cole Monday, December 15, 2014 2:16 PM edit
    Friday, December 12, 2014 3:39 PM
  • Jackson,

Here is the tool I was talking about: http://www.fluentpro.com/project-server/configuration-management-products/fluentpro-fluentbooks/

Cheers,

Friday, December 12, 2014 6:52 PM