Server reboots overnight due to WSUS updates being installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I'm asking this here after it was suggested that the Windows Server 2012 forum may not be the most appropriate.

I have a Windows 2012 Server thats hosting a number of VM's. Update policies are set via GPO from Corporate and on the face of it look ok. This particular server though has restarted on a few occasions of its own accord, typically overnight. Whilst the server will not be in use by Staff the backups are running at that time so they fail, which is hardly ideal!

Looking through the Event Viewer I can see this:-

Event ID: 1074, Source: User32

The process C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe (UKHARHS101) has initiated the restart of computer UKHARHS101 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Recovery (Planned)
     Reason Code: 0x80020002
     Shutdown Type: restart
     Comment: 

My update settings in the registry are below:-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "TargetGroupEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "TargetGroup"="Global_Must_Have_Server"
    "WUServer"="http://UK8006:8530"
    "WUStatusServer"="http://UK8006:8530"
    "ElevateNonAdmins"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "RescheduleWaitTimeEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:0000000a
    "AutoInstallMinorUpdates"=dword:00000000
    "RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "RebootRelaunchTimeout"=dword:0000000a
    "DetectionFrequencyEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "DetectionFrequency"=dword:00000016
    "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000000
    "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
    "AUOptions"=dword:00000004
    "ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000001
    "ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000004
    "UseWUServer"=dword:00000001

All servers should be installing their updates on a Sunday morning and rebooting then if its required, nothing critical is running  during that time slot.

Any advice on what to check next would be most appreciated.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 3:17 PM

Answers

• Your registry snip, doesn't seem to show that you are using the "AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime" option?

key="Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU"
                valueName="AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime">

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wsus/archive/2013/10/08/enabling-a-more-predictable-windows-update-experience-for-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012-kb-2885694.aspx

Don

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, November 9, 2015 4:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, November 9, 2015 11:32 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:30 PM
  • In the GPMC, choose Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates: 

Choose option 4 (Automatically download updates and install them on the schedule specified below). Then set your schedule for the desired day of the week with the time. 

I also enable the following two options:

Delay Restart for scheduled installations

Reschedule Automatic Updates... 

This helps when you need a reboot after the initial WSUS patch has been applied and there are additional updates that remain to be installed. 

Charlie Newman

• Proposed as answer by ChazNewman Wednesday, November 4, 2015 4:53 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Updates will DL and install as needed on the day/time you configure. If a restart is required, a restart will occur within the time set under "Wait the following period before proceeding with a scheduled restart (minutes). I set mine to 5 min.

Under, "Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations," I set "Wait after system startup" to 5 min. also. That way, the system has some simmer time to apply before another update hits the OS.

Hope this helps!

Charlie Newman

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, November 9, 2015 4:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 4:52 PM

All replies

• are these restarts all occuring shortly after 4am?

windows update reboots will log additional information in event viewer, the event u have noted doesn't seem to be tied with windows update. can u check the preceeding or proceeding events to see if it's actually related?

at any rate, just to be sure, delete this regkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

run: gpupdate /force

check to the regkey again to ensure the information is accurate

check gpedit.msc on that server to see if there is also a locally defined windows update GPO

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 7:33 PM
  • Your registry snip, doesn't seem to show that you are using the "AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime" option?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wsus/archive/2013/10/08/enabling-a-more-predictable-windows-update-experience-for-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012-kb-2885694.aspx

Don

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, November 9, 2015 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:30 PM

Don

Thanks for the information Don

I have now researched this further and am still a little confused.

I want my WSUS updates to install at 04:00 on a Sunday morning (Which they do based on my settings above), but I then want the server to reboot immediately its finished with the updates, not 3 days later. (Thats the whole point of picking 04:00 on a Sunday morning!)

How do I achieve this?

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 11:29 AM
  • if your issue is only with win8/2012 or win8.1/2012 r2 servers then u have to use the option Don mentioned in your GPO/registry:

AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime - set the timer to the lowest one which is 15mins and that will force the machine to restart shortly after 4AM without waiting for the maintenance window

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:44 PM
  • if your issue is only with win8/2012 or win8.1/2012 r2 servers then u have to use the option Don mentioned in your GPO/registry:

AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime - set the timer to the lowest one which is 15mins and that will force the machine to restart shortly after 4AM without waiting for the maintenance window

I'm confused, happens often ;   This option is O (off) or 1 (on) where do you set time?

What do you mean without waiting for the maintenance window? The maintenance window is 04:00, I want it to install all pending updates and restart after.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:55 PM
  • In the GPMC, choose Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates: 

Choose option 4 (Automatically download updates and install them on the schedule specified below). Then set your schedule for the desired day of the week with the time. 

This helps when you need a reboot after the initial WSUS patch has been applied and there are additional updates that remain to be installed. 

Charlie Newman

• Proposed as answer by ChazNewman Wednesday, November 4, 2015 4:53 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:16 PM

Charlie Newman

Thanks Charlie, so you set both those two options to 1?

And then it will install the updates as scheduled (04:00 Sunday morning for me). then immediately restart if necessary? and then check for more updates again?

I guess that some updates need a restart and there may then be more afterwards.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:35 PM
  • Updates will DL and install as needed on the day/time you configure. If a restart is required, a restart will occur within the time set under "Wait the following period before proceeding with a scheduled restart (minutes). I set mine to 5 min.

Under, "Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations," I set "Wait after system startup" to 5 min. also. That way, the system has some simmer time to apply before another update hits the OS.

Hope this helps!

Charlie Newman

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, November 9, 2015 4:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 4:52 PM