none
Forward lookup when no name record exists locally RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Here's what I want to achieve. I want to setup a domain using our public domain name, however, I don't want to replicate the external DNS records internally due to the dynamic nature of our public DNS records. Instead, I'm wondering if it's possible to tell Microsoft DNS server that if it can't satisfy the DNS lookup query, to forward that request to our external public DNS servers.

For example, if our local Microsoft DNS server for example.com, can't satisfy a lookup for mail.example.com, I want it to forward that request to our public DNS servers, which may or may not have a record for mail.example.com.

Is this possible?

Cheers,
    Tom

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

>>For example, if our local Microsoft DNS server for example.com, can't satisfy a lookup for mail.example.com, I want it to forward that request to our public DNS servers, which may or may not have a record for mail.example.com.

You could add your public DNS server as Forwarder.

To configure a DNS server to use forwarders using the Windows interface           
    1. Open DNS Manager.

2. In the console tree, click the applicable DNS server.

Where?              

• DNS/Applicable DNS server
    3. On the Action menu, click Properties.

4. On the Forwarders tab, under DNS domain, click a domain name.

5. Under Selected domain's forwarder IP address list, type the IP address of a forwarder, and then click Add.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:05 AM