none
DPM 2012: Job Setup for Daily Tape Rotation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

This is a new post to my previous issue http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/7c0829f3-e246-411d-8c56-2050c49ac668?prof=required. I decided to make a new post due to it getting off topic and others offering non related information. On top of that, we never solved the problem, so I figured lets just start off from the beginning on what i'm trying to do and to see if DPM can even do it. See bellow for what i'm trying to do. We basically do a daily rotation on the tapes and put it in a safe right after the job completes, and this is done on a daily basis. So I use 20 tapes to capture 1 year of data retention. 

This is done by...

Tapes 1 - 4 (Monday to Thursday

• These are used for Daily Incremental jobs

Tapes 5 - 8 (Week 1 to Week 4)

• These tapes rotate to their respective week and are full backup jobs.
                  • These are Friday1, Friday2, Friday3 and Friday4 and are put in at the beginning of each Friday.

Tapes 9 - 20 (January to December)

• This is the last Friday of every month and is a full backup.

Backup schedule:

• Monday to Thursday is a incremental job and the tape is changed out daily.  
                    • Friday is a full backup
                    • Last Friday of the month is a Monthly tape
                    • ALL TAPES ARE CHANGED OUT DAILY

My question is, is this possible with DPM? Because i have had two issues trying to do this. 

1. The tape does free it's self for the following week

example, Monday tape backups the 1st of the month, but when the 8th comes, the tape is still not free. there isn't an option to set the retention date less then 1 week for short term backup. 

We're told from the other post that we need "two drives" if we're going to do "short term" and "long term"  on one protection group. Is this true? Do we have terminology wrong? Do they mean tape? and not drive? I just don't find it practical to get another $5k drive for a small site... 

My ultimate question is, how do i get DPM to do this? Because when I try to set up a protection group with short term and long term storage, it fails the following week due to the tape not being free yet. I suspect this is because of the retention range is 1 week and the tape is not free yet. 

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hello Jim,

OK, Lets try this again.

You have two different and unrelated issues.

1) Tapes are not reused when a weekly tape rotation is implemented.

If you have daily "full + Incremental" backups selected for short term backups, the tape that contains the Full backup cannot be expired until all incremental backup recovery points that depend on the full backup expire.  This means it won't get expired for 2 weeks.  If the Next Full backup fails for any reason, then the first full backup cannot expire because all the subsequent incremental backups will also depend on that last good full backup.  So basically I would add more tapes into the tape rotation if you are using short term "full + Incremental" tape backups.

Also, As noted in the other post, this is one issue fixed after installing the following rollup (or later) fix.

Description of Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2706783

See Issue 9

Tapes are marked as reusable on the next day after the date of expiry as DPM runs a reclamation job only at midnight. If you want the tape to be reusable on the same date as it is expired, create the ExpireDatasetOnDayStart 32- bit DWORD, and set its value to 1 under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManager

Any NEW datasets written to tape after adding that registry setting will expire at midnight 00:00AM of the day they should expire.  So if it would nomally expire at 6:00PM, they now expire at 12:00AM so any tape job that starts after midnight will be able to reuse that tape.

HOW TO VERIFY - After a new tape backup, look at the "view tape contents" and verify that the data set just written expires at midnight.

2) You are wondering how many tape drives are required to meet your tape goals.

If you have both short term and long tem disk to tape backup goals configured, you will notice the warning about needing two tape drives so tape copy operations can succeed.

I believe you confirmed in your other post, that configuring ONLY long term tape goals does not use tape copy jobs, so a single tape drive will work.

HOW TO VERIFY - After setting up your protection group, create a customer filter and only filter on "tape backup" and "Copy data - tape"  for the next 7 days. Do this when the 7 days will include multiple recovery goals, if you see any Copy data - tape jobs scheduled, then you need two tape drives for the backup to succeed.

Hope this information is useful and allows you to make informed decisions on setting up your recovery goals and tape rotation policy.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, October 12, 2012 3:39 PM

All replies

• Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Hello Jim,

OK, Lets try this again.

You have two different and unrelated issues.

1) Tapes are not reused when a weekly tape rotation is implemented.

If you have daily "full + Incremental" backups selected for short term backups, the tape that contains the Full backup cannot be expired until all incremental backup recovery points that depend on the full backup expire.  This means it won't get expired for 2 weeks.  If the Next Full backup fails for any reason, then the first full backup cannot expire because all the subsequent incremental backups will also depend on that last good full backup.  So basically I would add more tapes into the tape rotation if you are using short term "full + Incremental" tape backups.

Also, As noted in the other post, this is one issue fixed after installing the following rollup (or later) fix.

Description of Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2706783

See Issue 9

Tapes are marked as reusable on the next day after the date of expiry as DPM runs a reclamation job only at midnight. If you want the tape to be reusable on the same date as it is expired, create the ExpireDatasetOnDayStart 32- bit DWORD, and set its value to 1 under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManager

Any NEW datasets written to tape after adding that registry setting will expire at midnight 00:00AM of the day they should expire.  So if it would nomally expire at 6:00PM, they now expire at 12:00AM so any tape job that starts after midnight will be able to reuse that tape.

HOW TO VERIFY - After a new tape backup, look at the "view tape contents" and verify that the data set just written expires at midnight.

2) You are wondering how many tape drives are required to meet your tape goals.

If you have both short term and long tem disk to tape backup goals configured, you will notice the warning about needing two tape drives so tape copy operations can succeed.

I believe you confirmed in your other post, that configuring ONLY long term tape goals does not use tape copy jobs, so a single tape drive will work.

HOW TO VERIFY - After setting up your protection group, create a customer filter and only filter on "tape backup" and "Copy data - tape"  for the next 7 days. Do this when the 7 days will include multiple recovery goals, if you see any Copy data - tape jobs scheduled, then you need two tape drives for the backup to succeed.

Hope this information is useful and allows you to make informed decisions on setting up your recovery goals and tape rotation policy.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, October 12, 2012 3:39 PM
  • If the Next Full backup fails for any reason, then the first full backup cannot expire because all the subsequent incremental backups will also depend on that last good full backup.  So basically I would add more tapes into the tape rotation if you are using short term "full + Incremental" tape backups.

So, what your saying by adding more tapes into the rotation is... That would need to potentially get enough tapes for at least a two week period, opposed to using the same Monday to Thursday tapes weekly? So one possible fix to my solution is to get separate tapes for each Monday to Thursday? essentially expanding that tape set from 4 tapes to roughly 20? Or I could expand by 4 more tapes and have a Daily 1 to Daily 8?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManage

For this, I didn't see an option for "MediaManager" after applying the update. But I think adding more tapes would be the better solution? Agreed?

For this, I assumed this was more related to when you were using disk for short term and wanted to offsite the data? Or if you wanted to copy short term disk to long term and offsite?

Friday, October 12, 2012 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

I don't know how large your data set is that you are backing up, but I assume all data fits on a single tape for the full backups. I also don't get why you need a separate tape for each day of the week for incremental, as we could use the same tape for the entire week assuming that the data churn is such that all incremental data can also fit on the same tape for 1 week.  If you insist on separate tapes, then you can get away with two sets of taped.  5 tapes for week1, 5 tapes for week2, and the 1st weeks tapes can be reused on week3 (assuming the full backup was successful on Friday for the 2nd week)   

You need to make the MediaManager key, then add the ExpireDatasetOnDayStart:Reg_Dword:0x1 value.  I recommend this setting to anybody doing tape backups that have a tight tape rotation schedule.

Finally, you can answer your own question if you follow this guidance:

HOW TO VERIFY - After setting up your protection group, create a customer filter and only filter on "tape backup" and "Copy data - tape"  for the next 7 days. Do this when the 7 days will include multiple recovery goals, if you see any "Copy data - tape" jobs scheduled, then you need two tape drives for the backup to succeed.

Friday, October 12, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Hi

I am doing something similar and found that I could not run short and long term backups with stand alone tape drives. I changed to just do short term to tape, but could I do just long term and what advantages/disadvantages would there be?

Regards

Phil

Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:05 AM
  • Hi techophil,

The only lost capability using only long term tape backup is the ability to perform incremental backups. All tape backups will be full.

Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

I don't know how large your data set is that you are backing up, but I assume all data fits on a single tape for the full backups. I also don't get why you need a separate tape for each day of the week for incremental, as we could use the same tape for the entire week assuming that the data churn is such that all incremental data can also fit on the same tape for 1 week.  If you insist on separate tapes, then you can get away with two sets of taped.  5 tapes for week1, 5 tapes for week2, and the 1st weeks tapes can be reused on week3 (assuming the full backup was successful on Friday for the 2nd week)   

Thanks Mike,

I think you nailed my issue down 100%. Give me a little bit to review this and i will mark your solutions down for the answer. We offsite the tapes daily into a firesafe, so that's why we use different tapes everyday. 

Monday, October 15, 2012 1:43 PM