none
Throttling Policy applied to specific MailBox not working properly

    Question

  • Hi,

    We recently want to apply Throttling Policy to user mailbox. Our main goal is to prevent mass emailing with the MessageRateLimit parameter.

    So as test purposes, we have ran these commands : 

    New-ThrottlingPolicy -Name LimitMessagesSent -RecipientRateLimit 20 -MessageRateLimit 1

    Get-Mailbox -resultsize unlimited | where {$_.EmailAddresses -match "test@myorg.com"} | Set-Mailbox -ThrottlingPolicy LimitMessagesSent

    Get-ThrottlingPolicyAssociation test@myorg.com shows the result : 

    Name                                                        ThrottlingPolicyId
    ----                                                        ------------------
    test                                                        LimitMessagesSent

    Try from Outlook and OWA to send more than 1 message in a minute.

    Outlook , (Exchange account test setted) : Mailbox can send more than 1 email in a minute, looks like the policy is not applied.

    OWA : Mailbox can send more than 1 email in a minute, looks like the policy is not applied.

    Outlook (POP/IMAP) : The policy is correctly applied, restriction works.

    Why it's not working for Outlook with Exchange setting (and not pop imap), and with OWA?

    Did we miss something?

    Thank you in advance for your help.

    Kind Regards.

    Thursday, October 22, 2015 1:15 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    What's the version of your exchange server?

    I performed the same thing in my Exchange 2013 CU10, and the results are like yours.

    Then I performed the same thing in my Exchange 2013 RTM lab, the Throttling Policy worked.

    I will keep attention on this issue.

    Best Regards.


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

    Friday, October 23, 2015 7:57 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi and thank you for your contribution.

    We are using Exchange 2013 Standard - CU10... Maybe a well known bug?

    Kind Regards.

    Friday, October 23, 2015 12:36 PM
  • Hi Lynn,

    Is there any update ? We are facing the same issue with Exchange 2013 CU 10 ?? We will be very glad to know if there is any workaround available for this ? Please reply

    Thanks

    Rajah

    Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:46 AM
  • It's probably too late, but I opened a case by MS and I receive today the following response : MessageRateLimit in Exchange 2013 & 2016 is no more supported in Throttlepolicy by design.

    Microsoft forgot to update documentation for EX2013 & 2016, but documentation for Exchange Online is explicit:

    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exchange-online-limits.aspx#MessageLimits

    Exchange Online Limits

    Message rate limit   Message rate limits determine how many messages a user can send within a specified period of time. This limit helps prevent overconsumption of system resources by a single sender. If a user submits messages at a rate that exceeds the limit via SMTP client submission, the messages will be rejected and the client will need to retry. For users submitting via any other mechanism, the messages are accepted, but Exchange Online will queue them at the server and throttle the rate of delivery.

    Message rate limit (SMTP client submission only)

    Hope this help...

    Thursday, June 9, 2016 11:47 AM