none
Long Logon Times On Any Wifi

Question

• Hello,

I've been getting complaints of long logon times when users are trying to use their laptops via wifi. This issue happens on both the work network and their home networks. If the computer is plugged into Ethernet at the office, the logon time is roughly 5-10 seconds. If they are disconnected from the Ethernet, the logon time could range from 2-10 minutes. Majority of these machines are Windows 7 SP1 x64 Lenovo X250 or T450, most of them have been imaged in the past year.

My thoughts are the computer is attempting to communicate to a DC while connecting to Wifi. If I'm right, is there a way to turn off that check through GP or at least reduce the timeout to 5 seconds? If I'm wrong, do you have any other idea of what maybe causing the issue?

Thank you for your time!

-Jake

Friday, March 25, 2016 5:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Some more material data are needed, namely what you did before it started to happen (on all the systems). Event logs and network monitor log follows... Share your findings.

Sometimes there is problem with DNS, namely when using public DNS IP in TCP/IP specification (which is wrong configuration).

Access points deserve some attention too.

M.

PS: Vendor support/forum may know the problem....
    Friday, March 25, 2016 8:47 PM
  • You can try to play with the number of cached logons. As far as I know there is no way to instruct a domain member client to bypasss an attempt to connect to a DC when it tries to Logon, but the cached credentials may help you reduce the time it waits.

Regards

• Edited by Avendil Monday, March 28, 2016 12:51 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Hi Jake,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 1, 2016 2:28 AM
  • Thanks for the follow-up!

There are no errors in Group Policy. I'm confident it's not a DNS issue since this happens at multiple locations inside and outside the domain network. All DNS is internal, unless offsite.

I don't want to mess too much with the cached logons as I will need the user to be able to log onto their laptop when offsite.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

-Jake

Friday, April 1, 2016 4:12 PM
  • Hi Jake,

Did you deploy GPP (group policy preference)?

If yes, here is an article below may be helpful to you.

You experience a long domain logon time in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 after you deploy Group Policy preferences to the computer

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2561285

You could also troubleshoot follow these articles below.

So you have a slow logon…? (Part 1)

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2009/09/23/so-you-have-a-slow-logon-part-1/

So you have a slow logon…? (Part 2)

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2009/09/24/so-you-have-a-slow-logon-part-2/

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 4, 2016 10:08 AM