none
Mac and Linux as Remote Desktop Clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to get both MAC and LINUX clients to log into the portal and connect to other windows servers or workstations via remote desktop. 

I have tried all variations that I can think of and I still cannot get it to work. I get the following error when I try and connect to an RDP server from a mac or linux client:

"Application HOSTNAME cannot be launched. This application can only be launched on computers running the following operating systems: Windows"

I replaced the actual server name with HOSTNAME for recurity reasons.

Has anyone been able to make this work?

Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi William,

UAG has 5 Remote-desktop related templates. The 1st three are "new" templates, that provide some better functionality, but cannot be used on browsers that do not support ActiveX, such as Mac. The 4th and 5th are "old", and based on SSL tunnelling. These latter two can work on Macs and Linux. Unfortunately, they do not provide functionality that's identical to RemoteApp, but their user-experience for remote-destktop/TS is quite good for Macs. Please go ahead and use these templates.

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:49 PM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:49 PM

All replies

• Sorry I don't have an answer for you but it may be an issue with the version of the RDP protocol.

If you look here you will notice that there have been a number of protocol updates recently and I'm not sure that Mac and Linux clients have kept up. I believe there are server side settings that control if the server will accept back level authentication methods as well.
    Although having said all that I think you probably aren't even getting to the target machine and the method you are using to publish RDP wants to try to launch the RDP session usibg the ActiveX control. So you might look at alternative ways to publish RDP, perhaps as a generic client/server application.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:55 PM
  • Hi William,

It is possible to connect from Mac and Linux to Remote Desktop using UAG RD Client Tunneling template. There are several project that succeeded doing so.
    Can you open this remote desktop from Max and Linux without UAG, when they are on-corpnet?

BTW: AFAIK, there is no RD client for Mac and Linux that support RemoteApp.

Meir :->
    Meir Mendelovich, Sr. Program Manager, Microsoft Forefront - IAG/UAG Product Group
    Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/edgeaccessblog/
    Anything you can do, I can do anywhere!
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, March 15, 2010 6:22 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by William_Delgado Friday, April 9, 2010 1:12 AM
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 12:51 PM
  • MeirM,

Thanks for your efforts but I am not getting enough information to attempt to make this work.

I have an application defined as: "Remote Desktop (predifined)" I can connect to this via xp,vista and 7 just fine. But when using a mac, I cant even make it display. it will not even show as grayed out and yes I have the option that states if it fails the check to display as grayed out.

I have another applciation defined as " TS Client Tunneling (windows vista/xp) but when I run it via the mac it says that the application only works on windows operating systems.

Any additional detailed information thatt you could reply with would be greatly appreciated! :)

Friday, April 9, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Hi William,

UAG has 5 Remote-desktop related templates. The 1st three are "new" templates, that provide some better functionality, but cannot be used on browsers that do not support ActiveX, such as Mac. The 4th and 5th are "old", and based on SSL tunnelling. These latter two can work on Macs and Linux. Unfortunately, they do not provide functionality that's identical to RemoteApp, but their user-experience for remote-destktop/TS is quite good for Macs. Please go ahead and use these templates.

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:49 PM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:49 PM
  • William,

MAC to Remote Desktop does work, and I have users with MAC endpoints. It's a bit Kludgy, but *does* work. The steps I used were:

1/ On UAG create a "Generic Client Application". Application name "Desktop for MAC", access policy: Always, Server: dns-name of TS server or farm, port: 3389

2/ On the MAC endpoint, upgrade Remote Desktop Connection. Google for RDC201_ALL.DMG and apply this package to the MAC

3/ On the MAC, uncheck the Safari "Block pop-up windows" option

4/ on the MAC, browse to the UAG portal, logon, run the "Desktop for MAC" icon.

5/ on the MAC, run Remote Desktop Connection and connect to the TS Server dns-name

That's it!

Peter Moreton

Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

Has anybody been able to publish a RDP conenction for MAC users without the need to manually start the RDP client?

I've tried to use the Enhanced Generice Host Disabled to create a ssl tunnel for 3389 but it doesn't seem to be able to run the executable to launch the RDP client.

The only workaround i've been able to find is to instruct the user to manually check the "show relays" to see what ipadress is used ex 127.0.0.xxx where xxx is random, and then manually start the RDP connection and connect to the ipadress. Is it even possible to run startup commands on a Mac with the enchanced generic templates?

MattiasG

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:18 PM