Microsoft Update Fails eith Error number: 0x80248015]h RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft Update recently fails with Error number: 0x80248015]h.  This just started a week ago.  It worked fine before that on Patch Tuesday and I have changed no settings.  I have tried all remedies in various threads to no avail, and the automatic debugger won't work on XP.  Any ideas what might have caused this?  Perhaps a change on the server side?
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:52 AM

All replies

• Hello there,

This error occurs if your Internet connection or configuration is preventing access to the windows update site. We will disable proxy in your computer and see if that solves the issue.

1.        Start Internet Explorer
    2.        On the Tools menu, click Internet Options
    3.        Click the Connections tab
    4.        Click LAN Settings
    5.        Clear the Use a proxy server for your LAN check box
    6.        Click OK
    7.        Close Internet Explorer

If the above won't work then please look at: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/error-number-0x80248015/570a49e9-4329-4410-b7f2-98dc7ac6afd6

Keep us posted! 

Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:34 PM
  • I haven't chanted any settings and have never used a proxy server on this network.  The site acrually worked on the 11th.  I also don't think it was one of the patches because they are now generally only for Office and Windows Defender since support for XP has ended.  I did all the things these various threads and Microsoft bulletins, but it still won't work.  I don't know what else to try.  I'm starting to think Microsoft changed something on their servers in the ActiveX stuff it uses to start up, but I don't know it works for other XP users.   I just know it worked last week and now it doesn't.  And I have all the servers iin the trusted sites section. And have the option to always use HTTPS unset.  I even renamed the softwardownload folder in case  it was corrupted.  So I don't have any idea what it could be..
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:03 PM
  • You might want to look at this thread; Windows seems to store an expiration date for Microsoft Update, and for at least some systems the date was 2014/11/17.  It's apparently unrelated to any recent patches.

• Edited by jjjdavidson Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:52 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:46 PM
  • Thanks.  So  it appears I was correct in assuming Microsoft has done something to their servers which has broken both Windows Update and Microsoft Update.  I don't really care about Windows Update because Automatic Updates still works.  I need Microsoft Update because it also updates Office, Silverlight and other applications.  So I hope Microsoft will fix this soon.  Someone claims to have made it work be temporarily setting the date back to Nov 19 but I am reluctant to try that as it messes up the timeline on everything and setting the clock back is highly discouraged by SAP.
    Friday, November 21, 2014 7:21 PM
  • Microsoft has finally resolve the error "0x80248015".  We are now able to do Windows Update and Microsoft Update without changing the date on the computer's clock.
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 12:23 PM
  • Microsoft has finally resolve the error "0x80248015".  We are now able to do Windows Update and Microsoft Update without changing the date on the computer's clock.
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 12:24 PM