Recover Windows 7 after a failed update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on a Dell Studio laptop. On Tuesday, my laptop downloaded new updates, but hung while installing them. I left it on for a few hours.

I switched the laptop off and it then wouldn't start or even run recovery successfully. I managed to get in and return to the last restore point, just before the updates were installed. That was the only available restore point.

The laptop then booted up normally, but it wouldn't run a number of applications, such as SQL server, my Vodafone 3G software and Excel. I also got errors when trying to run control panel.

I found an article that suggested a clean boot. I changed the settings and did a clean boot. My Excel now starts and the laptop starts up and shuts down successfully, but I still can't run control panel, although most of the icons appear before it crashes. Excel works, but SQL server still won't start and my 3G modem application doesn't work.

I also can't get into the event viewer by running eventvwr, although I can run appwiz.cpl and services successfully. The SQL server services are flagged as running.

I also realise that I probably can't keep running the machine from a clean boot, but I haven't resolved anything yet.

What is the best way forward? I've run a hardware check and didn't get any faults reported. I'm obviouslytrying to avoid a re-installation of Windows.

Any help would be appreciated.

David Martins

Saturday, October 4, 2014 11:47 AM

All replies

• Do you have a restore point ?

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, October 4, 2014 11:50 AM